Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

Massive game for both clubs this. Win and we deliver a big blow to Brechin's survival chances, lose and we're drawn  back into the fight to avoid tenth.

I'd bite your hand off for a flukey 1-0 win with an own goal that doesn't cross the line.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously worried about what team we will need to field here. Nade, Barr and Smith all look to be missing on top of our usual Carswell, Handling and Gallagher being out. We're going to be forced to try something different and I really don't like that. For minimal disruption I would move Froxylias in from the wing to play behind Mark Stewart and play Ally Roy wide:

Gallagher

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Hill -- McLaughlin

Hutton -- Wilson

Roy -- Froxylias -- Walsh

Stewart

That gives us our most creative player back in his natural position and the pace of Roy and Walsh wide, whilst keeping much of the rest the same as it usually is.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors but to me the Roy situation is extremely strange. The guy was our most positive signing at the beginning of the season, always looked to take the team forward and is probably one of the quickest players we have. He gives the ball away at a corner and seems to be held solely responsible for us conceding a goal in a 4-0 humping - I don't think he's played more than 20 minutes since that Dunfermline game. Okay, defensively he isn't great, but if we want to stay up without the need of a play-off then these are the games you go out to win. When you consider that Scott Gallagher's poppadom hands have cost us about 4 goals this season, I'm not quite sure I understand why Ally Roy has been living in exile since his mistake. In fact, I'm livid that the wee man has been ousted.

#makeAllyRoygreatagain

I kept my op a bit brief because I was on my phone, but I'm actually really looking forward to this. Grounds like the Glebe are what I've missed during our stay in this lofty division.  You cannot beat standing at the side of a pitch watching a game - it's superior to watching from a hemmed in seat beside the home fans in so many ways.

I agree with The Moonster's team, though the pedant in me would like to point out that it's Scott Gallacher, not Gallagher, the G variant belongs to messrs C dot and G dot. I really hope Stevie doesn't stick with our usual defensive tactics for this, because if he does the best we'll be able to hope for is a 0-0 - and that really wouldn't be ideal.

Roy has definitely been hit with Chris Johnston syndrome. He was an uninspiring signing and, after a slow and pretty unconvincing start, he's dropped just as he seems to be playing with a bit of confidence. He's poor defensively, we all know that, but he's also got the bravery to run at folk (see what he did to Michael Doyle on the opening day) that nobody else in our squad, bar, maybe, Froxy (although he's more cute than Roy's all out raw rapidness) has.

If we start with Froxy out wide and Div Wilson in the #10 role again I might cry. If we then bring  Greg Morrison on when we're chasing a goal I will actually cry.

Can't see it being a classic given both teams are seriously struggling to hit the net - but then we did play out a 4-4 with Ayr United last season, when both teams were struggling for goals, so anything's possible.

When it comes to the Roy situation I almost think something else has gone on behind the scenes since he was dropped. But then again, he doesn't seem like the kinda guy to answer back or anything like that.

I don't really get the "weak defensively" argument though. As Moonster has said, he made one mistake and was punished for it. But the punishment seems to have gone too far. I'd understand him not getting back into the team if the guys we were giving game time to were doing well, but it's been the complete opposite and we could do with changing things.

We need to win this one . This is the team that we all believe we need to finish above to have any chance (absolutely no disrespect to Dumbarton at all I'm saying this from a selfish City point of view ) . We ve a very hard month ahead of us so let's start it with a win . But too do this we must cut out comic cut goals .Smithy has to be sharper , defence switched on at set pieces around box and no giving away petty fouls around box. Midfield who are working hard have to support strikers and start shooting more .
And lastly strikers have to be more ruthless when chances come their way .
I heard Isaac was back to his old self again on Saturday so I'd get Orsi back in .
We re not far away and other results have gone in our favour so let's start capitalising.
Get a couple good results under our belts and goto Buckie with a bit confidence.A game which may have a massive impact on the club we ve heard .

Get a couple good results under our belts and goto Buckie with a bit confidence.A game which may have a massive impact on the club we ve heard .

The Scottish Cup is always huge for the club, that isn't news. We haven't had a money spinner in ages, not helped by our horrific cup record of late. Fingers crossed we can get the better of Buckie this time round and get a decent draw.

Froxy being out changes things pretty drastically. I reckon we'll need to go 4-4-2 now:

Gallacher

Roy -- Wilson -- Hutton -- Walsh

Morrison -- Stewart

Mango's dive last week now looking even more fucking stupid than it was at the time. I'll be amazed if we get anything here tbh, absolutely no creativity in that team and the midfield lacks any sort of grit.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Froxy being out changes things pretty drastically. I reckon we'll need to go 4-4-2 now:

Gallacher

Roy -- Wilson -- Hutton -- Walsh

Morrison -- Stewart

Mango's dive last week now looking even more fucking stupid than it was at the time. I'll be amazed if we get anything here tbh, absolutely no creativity in that team and the midfield lacks any sort of grit.

Ew. That is grim.

If we do win it'll either be a total stroke of luck (own goal, deflection, penalty), or a moment of magic from (looking at that team) Walsh.

Ew. That is grim.
If we do win it'll either be a total stroke of luck (own goal, deflection, penalty), or a moment of magic from (looking at that team) Walsh.

With poppadom and diddy Dowie in the team we are guarateed to concede at least one so we will require two strokes of luck/moments of magic.

Lets hope Morrison resembles a football player if he starts. Maybe with two up front that will happen.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With poppadom and diddy Dowie in the team we are guarateed to concede at least one so we will require two strokes of luck/moments of magic.

Lets hope Morrison resembles a football player if he starts. Maybe with two up front that will happen.

Trying to take the positives here, giving Mark Stewart a partner who will also do some running should allow Stewart to play on the last man and if we can get balls in behind Brechin then we could have some joy.  To be honest, balls into the channels doesn't sound the worst game plan with the midfield we look set to put out.

Archived