Livi v ICT

Not sure if the Inverness fans are trying to make some spectacular point regarding Longridge, I think most Livi fans will have him down as a weak link in the side.

Donaldson left us with a huge amount of potential and based on yesterday, he hasn't improved much.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Donaldson playing in the 3-1 game earlier in the season?  He had an easy shift yesterday with us only playing one up front for most of it and hitting long balls up to Mullen too, if either Todorov or Mackin had started with Mullen I doubt Donaldson would've coped.

Penrice and McMillan are our best players to deal with wingers but McMillan wasn't in the team sheet so looks like Hoppy sacrificed a striker to try and shore up our defence with Longridge on the left and Keaghan backing up Mullin on the right, was brutal to watch but we got the point Hoppy set out for so doubt he'll lose any sleep over it.  

Donaldson did well yesterday, he coped with everything Livingston did although I think he did lose his man. As said, Livi went pretty direct so he was able to win in the air, which he can clearly do. He’s been an integral part of our good run and the clean sheets that have been part of it, although I think having too experienced full backs has also been very important. Interesting to see if he can keep it going for the whole season.

As for the game I’d have taken a point beforehand, considering that Livi have been in good form and I can’t complain about it afterwards. We probably should’ve won on chances created but Alexander made a couple of great saves. Livi really competed and pressured us in the middle a lot more than Falkirk or United did (I didn’t make it to the Pats game), meaning Vigurs couldn’t properly take control the way he did in those matches.

Despite that we probably had more of the game and Mulreany was again important. He gives us a great out ball and with his pace he can stretch teams out. He had a one-on-one but Alexander’s good goalkeeping denied him. Bell had a gilt edged chance late in when a flick by Oakley played him in but again Alexander just denied him with a save. He should’ve scored but it was a great save.

As above, Livi really pressed us and had a good chance early in from a corner, a free header or over the bar. They also got free later in the first half and a curling shot went just wide but other than that we were pretty comfortable. I was impressed with Livi’s organisation and defending though, they were better than both Falkirk and United were in the games I’ve seen us in recently.

I’m not so sure where this run is going to go - we could make a sustained push up the league to at least challenge for the play offs or we could regress and find we don’t have the depth to sustain this run. It’s good to see us look like a team again though. Good support from us as well, although a little cramped in the away section!

Hard to tell from that angle, at the time I thought it was a brilliant decision as the Caley player looked like he was behind Alexander, video looks like he might be just on.

Thought at the time that Alan Lithgow was very lucky that his mistake didn't lead to a goal, even luckier if it should have been given.

Mullen's booking looks even more bizarre, fair enough don't give the penalty, but can you actually book him for diving when there's contact like that? Quite annoying they've included that and not Mulraney's one up the other end, was interested to see if there was an obvious difference that meant one was a booking and one wasn't :lol:

Cracking saves from Alexander. Still think Inverness are the best team we've played, which is weird as we haven't lost to them yet and been pumped twice, once against 10 men. Will be up the right end of the table before long IMO.

16 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Couldn't agree with you more ATLIS.

Six games without conceding a goal and Donaldson was absolute shite in every game.

Waitrose is selling really sweet grapes just now, you should try some.

Against a team with one up front playing long ball to a tiny striker? With Todorov up there Donaldson would've been worse than bambi on ice, he looks dodgy on the ball and dodgy with anyone running at him.

He can win a header which makes him about half the player Alan Lithgow is :D 

I don't think I'd take any of the defenders from ICT at all and Gallagher and Halkett (especially) would walk into their team

Donaldson does get a lot of bad press despite leaving us when he was only about 18 years old for QPR.

At his time he used to win virtually everything in the air; sometime the ball would go almost rocket like straight up and other times they would zoom as far as the halfway line. As I recall he used to have a pretty shaky self-confidence; if he felt he wasn't having a good game his head could go down and his game would just get worse; he really needed someone next to him constantly geeing him up. Maybe he's got a handle on that now  that he's matured a bit.

Playing him on the right back position was often a mistake due to his relative lack of pace for a young guy and his size often meant that he too too long changing direction.

His weakness was generally with the ball at his feet which is why I was mystified that we persisted with the high ball into the area against a forward who must be about a foot shorter than Donaldson.

I also remember him getting sent off a few times for us; not least the bizarre time that he was shown a red card and conceded a penalty for HEADING the ball in the area despite his arms being pretty much by his side against QoS. My memory isn't what it was but didn't he also miss his last game for us due to a suspension following a red card (although I cant remember the circumstances)?

Interesting to see that Robbo hasn't forgotten the stadium; by playing towards the north in the fist half ensured that the low sun blinded Lithgow in the first half which almost resulted in him giving away the goal.

Still don't understand why ICT were herded into the corner of the West stand; Surely it would have created a better atmosphere to have them in the corner of the East; I appreciate there's a slight increase in costs but it would undoubtedly have inproved the atmosphere on what was otherwise a pretty forgettable match.

Oh and despite what I thought at the time I'm not sure that "goal" was offside; the boy was pretty much at the byline before he played the ball; the number eight was no worse than level as far as I can see;  although that's what you get for being unable to spell Livingston properly. 

Joking aside if that had gone in maybe it would have fired up our management team to at least start playing with two up front rather that submitting us that toothless display.

Oh and as far as I can see Mullen didn't dive so am not sure why he ended up with a yellow card unless it was for something else.

6 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

:lol:

Tremarco would stroll into your team. Despite being well over the hill, probably so would Raven.

That would be impressive if we hadn't just been promoted and if you hadn't have kept a fair bit of your Premiership team :D 

Would happily say that Halkett is the best defender in the league , think we'll lose him in January though, to a club down south or a team like Dundee or Motherwell - he'd easily do a good job for them

Donaldson was potential at Livi, and an absolute bomb scare (probably due to him being an utter halfwit, like his brothers). Nothing more.

Glad we got some money for him, and that he's finally showing his potential.  

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:16, RiG said:

That dive by Donaldson looks even worse than it did yesterday.

FTFY.

Mullen was bumped over, def wasn't a yellow card, not everything that isn't a penalty has to be a booking.

Looked like that offside goal was going in without having to get a final touch on it, if the ICT player hadn't been so desperate to claim the goal it would prob have gone in and counted.

We had more chances at goal than I remembered, mostly in the first half, we needed to change things a lot earlier 2nd half by going 2 up front, but a point looks a decent result when you see the last 5 games form over everyone, Livi are the 2nd best on form team, just behind QoS. Hoppy looking at the bigger picture rather than just this game?

Archived