Morton v Queens

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the penalty, it's hard to make out on mobile so I'll have another look later, but at the time I thought the penalty had been given for shirt tugging rather than a trip and was a stonewaller.

Obviously shirt tugging is rarely enough to actually bring a player down and we get caught in this halfway house of is a player cheating, is he not; my thoughts at the time were that McHugh did fling himself down when the contact wasn't enough to send him down, but he flung himself down after a blatant foul and wouldn't have got the decision if he stayed on his feet despite being fouled, because referees will only give the decision when a player goes down despite the fact shirt tugging is a clear foul regardless of whether the player goes down. You can call that diving, but it's a situation I'd blame referees for first and foremost: if they were willing to give fouls for shirt tugging when players stayed on their feet, players wouldn't feel the need to go down when they do get fouled. Like I said though I actually can't see the shirt tugging clearly enough on mobile so I'll look on a desktop later to see if he did have a proper hold of his shirt.

On 05/11/2017 at 07:29, Tetragrammaton said:

You're definitely not a Morton fan, After every defeat, we hear nothing but your constant fucking whining.

Talking shite? Look at your posts. Virtually every one is negative. The same regurgitated shite post after post. 

You and your herd criticise MORTON SUPPORTERS who refuse to lambast the board, management and team at the drop of a hat. Just as a suggestion, why don't you try putting forward the positives now and again? Why don't you tell us a solution instead of a problem. Do you only do negativity?

*Cue the rest of the herd coming on to attempt to shut up MORTON SUPPORTERS!*

As for this, negativity after a bad result and positivity after a good one? What a curious phenomenon. 

I absolutely love the argument that people who are complaining when their team lose actually want their team to lose, as opposed to expressing their dissatisfaction and analysing why it's happened because they would, y'know, prefer if their team didn't lose and want it to stop happening. It's obviously a nonsense argument.

Perhaps you can point out what I've said post-match here that wasn't a reasonable criticism? I said the performance descended into a shambles after playing well for the first 20 minutes. I think that's a fitting description of a defensive performance that saw us concede a goal like the second one - we weren't clever for the first either, as well worked as it was on Queen of the South's part - and going 70 minutes without a shot on target clearly isn't good enough either.

Then when someone raised the number of injuries we had I pointed out that we only had two attacking players out, and the fact that that left us with only one senior attacking player on the bench was a sign that we didn't have enough squad depth, while two attacking injuries doesn't excuse being so ineffective that we went 70 minutes without a shot on target. Not building a squad with enough depth is quite evidently a reasonable criticism to make - indeed, when Colkitto said the same thing later in the thread you green dotted him.

I'm positive about performances when our performances and results merit it - so recently I was positive after the second half performance and result in Paisley, I was happy with the result v Brechin despite the performance being a bit of a slog, I was very happy with the performance and win at Palmerston, I was delighted after the second half performance v Dunfermline. If Morton fans are being negative this season it's because there have been several below par performances that merit criticism. Acknowledging the failings doesn't mean you can't also want the team to be better and encourage them to do so at games. This is extremely easy to understand.

Positives? The team have shown they are capable of playing well at times, with the ability to tear a defence apart when the attack is on form - second half v Dunfermline, St Mirren at Cappielow - and also defend solidly and see a scrappy game out when necessary, as we saw at Palmerston.  The concern is that we so often only turn up for half a game - St. Mirren & ICT away for example - but the fact we have played well in those spells is encouragement that we can turn it round and start playing well for 90 minutes regularly. We've also had slow starts to the previous two seasons then gone on excellent runs of form afterwards, so we can hopeful of doing the same thing again, and if we did see that kind of improvement we'd be right in contention for the playoffs.

Even if that improvement doesn't come there's also no reason to worry about relegation at this stage. Over the course of the season so far we've looked an average mid-table team rather than a terrible one, so there's no need to panic. Even if results don't improve and we can't make the top four, despite the disappointment that would cause we should still be comfortably mid-table at least. The only thing that could really put us down there is a bad winless run and the indications of the season so far are that we're always going to be capable of getting some results so it's nothing to be concerned about. If we were to lose at Falkirk and fail to beat Brechin then it'd be time to start looking over our shoulders, but there's really no point speculating on things like that and worrying about the worst case scenario at this point, and no one is.

No one's shouting that we're hurtling towards relegation like Raith last season or saying that the season is guaranteed to be a disaster: the negativity is all coming because we want to be in contention for promotion and on the evidence of the season so far we're not good enough to do so. That doesn't mean anyone's resigned to a failure to improve, but that's the realistic conclusion to draw from our performances and results to date.

Regarding the penalty, it's hard to make out on mobile so I'll have another look later, but at the time I thought the penalty had been given for shirt tugging rather than a trip and was a stonewaller.
Obviously shirt tugging is rarely enough to actually bring a player down and we get caught in this halfway house of is a player cheating, is he not; my thoughts at the time were that McHugh did fling himself down when the contact wasn't enough to send him down, but he flung himself down after a blatant foul and wouldn't have got the decision if he stayed on his feet despite being fouled, because referees will only give the decision when a player goes down despite the fact shirt tugging is a clear foul regardless of whether the player goes down. You can call that diving, but it's a situation I'd blame referees for first and foremost: if they were willing to give fouls for shirt tugging when players stayed on their feet, players wouldn't feel the need to go down when they do get fouled. Like I said though I actually can't see the shirt tugging clearly enough on mobile so I'll look on a desktop later to see if he did have a proper hold of his shirt.
As for this, negativity after a bad result and positivity after a good one? What a curious phenomenon. 
I absolutely love the argument that people who are complaining when their team lose actually want their team to lose, as opposed to expressing their dissatisfaction and analysing why it's happened because they would, y'know, prefer if their team didn't lose and want it to stop happening. It's obviously a nonsense argument.
Perhaps you can point out what I've said post-match here that wasn't a reasonable criticism? I said the performance descended into a shambles after playing well for the first 20 minutes. I think that's a fitting description of a defensive performance that saw us concede a goal like the second one - we weren't clever for the first either, as well worked as it was on Queen of the South's part - and going 70 minutes without a shot on target clearly isn't good enough either.
Then when someone raised the number of injuries we had I pointed out that we only had two attacking players out, and the fact that that left us with only one senior attacking player on the bench was a sign that we didn't have enough squad depth, while two attacking injuries doesn't excuse being so ineffective that we went 70 minutes without a shot on target. Not building a squad with enough depth is quite evidently a reasonable criticism to make - indeed, when Colkitto said the same thing later in the thread you green dotted him.
I'm positive about performances when our performances and results merit it - so recently I was positive after the second half performance and result in Paisley, I was happy with the result v Brechin despite the performance being a bit of a slog, I was very happy with the performance and win at Palmerston, I was delighted after the second half performance v Dunfermline. If Morton fans are being negative this season it's because there have been several below par performances that merit criticism. Acknowledging the failings doesn't mean you can't also want the team to be better and encourage them to do so at games. This is extremely easy to understand.
Positives? The team have shown they are capable of playing well at times, with the ability to tear a defence apart when the attack is on form - second half v Dunfermline, St Mirren at Cappielow - and also defend solidly and see a scrappy game out when necessary, as we saw at Palmerston.  The concern is that we so often only turn up for half a game - St. Mirren & ICT away for example - but the fact we have played well in those spells is encouragement that we can turn it round and start playing well for 90 minutes regularly. We've also had slow starts to the previous two seasons then gone on excellent runs of form afterwards, so we can hopeful of doing the same thing again, and if we did see that kind of improvement we'd be right in contention for the playoffs.
Even if that improvement doesn't come there's also no reason to worry about relegation at this stage. Over the course of the season so far we've looked an average mid-table team rather than a terrible one, so there's no need to panic. Even if results don't improve and we can't make the top four, despite the disappointment that would cause we should still be comfortably mid-table at least. The only thing that could really put us down there is a bad winless run and the indications of the season so far are that we're always going to be capable of getting some results so it's nothing to be concerned about. If we were to lose at Falkirk and fail to beat Brechin then it'd be time to start looking over our shoulders, but there's really no point speculating on things like that and worrying about the worst case scenario at this point, and no one is.
No one's shouting that we're hurtling towards relegation like Raith last season or saying that the season is guaranteed to be a disaster: the negativity is all coming because we want to be in contention for promotion and on the evidence of the season so far we're not good enough to do so. That doesn't mean anyone's resigned to a failure to improve, but that's the realistic conclusion to draw from our performances and results to date.

Wake us up when you're finished.

22 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Good overall post Dunning.

On your point about relegation, I think we do have cause for concern. If it wasn't for Falkirk having such an unusually rubbish season we would be right down near the relegation playoff. If Falkirk where having their normal season and were on 15-20 points, we would only be 3 points off 9th. Of course Falkirk are down there and might continue to stay down there, but if they do improve and we continue to stumble on, we could well see ourselves involved in a relegation playoff scrap.

It ultimately comes down to Dumbarton. if they continue to pick up points like they are at the moment, it will pull in the clubs who are kicking about 6th-8th into the mix. Dumbarton are showing no signs of being pushovers once again so if we continue to play like we have been, we could well be involved. We are certainly showing no signs of improving. 1 win in 6 and that was against Brechin and 2 tough away games to come against the Pars and Falkirk. Wouldn't surprise me if that stat was 1 win in 8 going into the home game against Brechin.

I keep hoping to read that Duffy has brought a couple more players in but as the weeks go on, its looking less and less likely which is absolutely staggering!

All we need to have a decent team is a replacement for Lindsay, and Quitongo to regain full fitness.  Not replacing Lindsay has been Duffy's biggest mistake - Harkins can't perform the Lindsay role as he has no pace.  We have no energy in midfield apart from Murdoch who is carrying the midfield single handed.  I'm not terribly worried about relegation at the moment, but we really do need to step it up a gear as at the moment our W4L4D4 record is literally average.

Fair to say that Harkins and Thomson haven't exactly added much to the squad so far in terms of replacing the players who left (the decent ones that is).

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Far too long! I stopped reading at "As for this, negativity".  No wonder it took 4 days to reply!

14 minutes ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Far too long! I stopped reading at "As for this, negativity".  No wonder it took 4 days to reply!

Two scenarios here:

1. Tetragrammaton couldn't be arsed reading the post because it is, admittedly, extremely long.

2. Tetragrammaton read every word of the post and is saying he didn't because it dismantled his shite opinions and he has no counter-argument.

Tough one.

30 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Two scenarios here:

1. Tetragrammaton couldn't be arsed reading the post because it is, admittedly, extremely long.

2. Tetragrammaton read every word of the post and is saying he didn't because it dismantled his shite opinions and he has no counter-argument.

Tough one.

I've already given you the answer! Not surprised you found it tough to work out though.

Easy one!

Archived