Admin Bound and Managerless Dundee United v Top of the League St Mirren - Title Decider - 4th Nov

1 hour ago, TONTROOPER said:

Predicting a home win here.St Mirren defence well suspect in my opinion.Check out Andy Murdoch's equaliser for Morton on Saturday.

*Cue " It should have been a corner not a goal-kick for Morton" outcry from Midden posters.

Not really. The fact that the passage of play leading to the goal should never have taken place, does not change the fact that our defence is suspect, and I completely agree with you on that front.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noting that the Dundee United Supporters Foundation are intending to hand out leaflets at this game, and that they haven't got the support of the Federation (of DU supporters' clubs).

Also was told at the ICT game that the Fed are intending to protest at Glebe Park against Thompson:  if true (can anyone confirm?), they would be both making a fool of themselves and also disrespecting Brechin City.

Too many factions and egos are holding back progress.

We need to find a way to get Morgan more involved. On Saturday Morton were doubling, and at times trebling, up on him.

As we were playing the 4-3-3 and morton a 4-4-2 the 'ton right back was getting help from his centre half as well as his right mid. When we went 2 up top and had more to occupy the centre half's it's no coincidence Lewis came into the game and created more chances.

Start with Sutton and Reilly, with McShane dropping to the bench. Midfield 4 of Morgan, McGinn, Magennis and Smith. 

The thought of Smith and Morgan on the counter attack running into open space gets me a bit excited tbh. I don't know how United will set up but I'd imagine they will have the majority of possession and territory, it will depend if our defence is disciplined enough to sit and soak up the pressure, away from home this season we haven't been.

2 hours ago, Silvio said:

We need to find a way to get Morgan more involved. On Saturday Morton were doubling, and at times trebling, up on him.

As we were playing the 4-3-3 and morton a 4-4-2 the 'ton right back was getting help from his centre half as well as his right mid. When we went 2 up top and had more to occupy the centre half's it's no coincidence Lewis came into the game and created more chances.

Start with Sutton and Reilly, with McShane dropping to the bench. Midfield 4 of Morgan, McGinn, Magennis and Smith. 

If you have been to all our recent games you will have noticed Morgan has two , three opposition players on him everyone now knows tbe threat, however in these games Morgan was still a threat. Kyle back will help Morgan who is a special talent also. 

44 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

If you have been to all our recent games you will have noticed Morgan has two , three opposition players on him everyone now knows tbe threat, however in these games Morgan was still a threat. Kyle back will help Morgan who is a special talent also. 

Yeah I know this. My point is a slight variation in our tactics on Saturday immediately gave him a bit more room to work and the opposition someone else to worry about. 

32 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Yeah I know this. My point is a slight variation in our tactics on Saturday immediately gave him a bit more room to work and the opposition someone else to worry about. 

Yep. It's all well and good playing with entirely nippy wee guys, but if they figure out how to counter that, then we've got nothing else. We certainly don't have the threat from midfield that we did last season (ie from the edge of the box.)

Playing Sutton with Reilly, properly close together, would add several extra dimensions to our play. Gives us height; will win knock-downs; the defence will want to push up onto Sutton but they'll also have to watch over their shoulders for Reilly; it will also give us more targets in the box when Smith and Morgan hit the byline.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yep. It's all well and good playing with entirely nippy wee guys, but if they figure out how to counter that, then we've got nothing else. We certainly don't have the threat from midfield that we did last season (ie from the edge of the box.)

Playing Sutton with Reilly, properly close together, would add several extra dimensions to our play. Gives us height; will win knock-downs; the defence will want to push up onto Sutton but they'll also have to watch over their shoulders for Reilly; it will also give us more targets in the box when Smith and Morgan hit the byline.

Saint....when I said St Mirren are well suspect at the back...it was an observation open for all to see.That being the case I expect Ross to sort it out...if he can? 

It must be frustrating, disappointing and certainly not living up to expectations for the United fans considering on paper they are easily the best team in the league.
That said, as a large percent of United fans actually live in Dundee, I'd expect them to be entirely used to "frustrating, disappointing and certainly not living up to expectations".

Archived