Berwick v Cowden

I hope Garden, Cowdenbeath and, vicariously, Berwick and SPFL2 maximise this having gone viral. It's completely bizarre, but brilliant, bring some fun and maybe even a few bob to both clubs at tough times. Pity Irving's meg-nuts on the Cowdenbeath defender earlier didn't get the same attention. So sweet.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Spot on

i hope it does get some coverage as would love to hear a ref justify the pen decision. Bizarre and unorthodox yes but touching the ball then player is the same as a tackle with the foot surely.

not that the rules matter to the Cowden hating roasters on here.

The video ref has spoken , jeez 'well technically it's not a penalty as he did touch the ball with his pecker just before the blade of grass did',  couldn't care less, It really is a classic , like an old you've been tangoed advert

Penalty made it onto Sport Today on BBC World News TV channel. I have lived in SE Asia for twelve years and to see Scottish League Two feature on EPL besotted BBC is nothing short of miraculous, even if it was just to highlight a weird, comedy moment.

Up there with...

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41728826#sa-link_location=TEMP&intlink_from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.bbc.com%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F41795699&intlink_ts=1509383172304-sa

2 hours ago, dougster said:

The video ref has spoken , jeez 'well technically it's not a penalty as he did touch the ball with his pecker just before the blade of grass did',  couldn't care less, It really is a classic , like an old you've been tangoed advert

That's exactly what it reminded me of. The old Tango adverts. Get the Cowden commercial guy on the phone to Britvic quick and get some sort of deal done.

What makes it a pen is that it hit the BACK of the Cowden player's head. Now, even if that was just before wiping out McKenna, it still means that the defender was totally out of control and had no clue what would happen next.

If you close your eyes and leap recklessly into a tackle it is still a foul, even if by a fluke, you get the ball first. 

Not sure now about the linesman's input. We all know most of them haven't the confidence to give a throw-in, never mind a penalty. I think the ref's delay was due to him being gobsmacked at the Cowden player's impression of an oil drum.

21 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Pmsl fekin better tackle you'll never see but was dangerous play as head was a wee bit low , in-direct free kick at best 

Lifted straight from the FIFA site

Playing in a Dangerous Manner
Playing in a dangerous manner involves no
physical contact between the players.

If there is a physical contact, the action
becomes a offence punishable with a direct
free kick or penalty kick.

Given he dived at the guys feet, which would put it in the dangerous bracket, then made contact with the player, it would be fair to say that was a penalty.

Archived