Scotland's Coolest City

ICTChris

Scotland's Coolest City  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see Edinburgh's getting a load of hate on here. Why?
I've only been here a couple of months but love it thus far, there's so much going on and the scenery on your doorstep doesn't really get boring. 

The people probably let it down for some.

I love the city to look at as you say but it’s not the friendliest or places to live.

I can see why someone from Glasgow like Gunther would find Inverness cool because its nice and small with some lovely scenery around about it and Loch Ness right on the door step etc but it’s a pretty small community and everyone knows everyone there and you see the same folk out and about all the time. Not sure why he thinks the people there are friendly either as it certainly suffers from a big fish in a small pond mentality. Horrible accent too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people probably let it down for some.

I love the city to look at as you say but it’s not the friendliest or places to live.

I can see why someone from Glasgow like Gunther would find Inverness cool because its nice and small with some lovely scenery around about it and Loch Ness right on the door step etc but it’s a pretty small community and everyone knows everyone there and you see the same folk out and about all the time. Not sure why he thinks the people there are friendly either as it certainly suffers from a big fish in a small pond mentality. Horrible accent too.

Here bod, that's no a bonk machine it's a fance

Absolutely disgusting. Not that Edinburgh accents are much better.

I like a good Edinburgh accent. I like most Scottish accents that are south of Stonehaven.

Above there it descends into a combination of horrific teuchter noises and English accents.

I like a good Edinburgh accent. I like most Scottish accents that are south of Stonehaven.

Above there it descends into a combination of horrific teuchter noises and English accents.

There are a lot of different accents in Edinburgh I suppose but I’m talking about the general chavy “dinnae ken mate eh” types. I just find a good number of people from Edinburgh lack any sort of real character and it’s full of generally dull people that aren’t very endearing or funny in comparison to people i am used to.

My favourite city in Scotland is Edinburgh though I used to enjoy a night out in Dundee when I was younger. A lot of that was down to Dundonians being guid c***s. 

I was in Glasgow recently and it made a mockery of my long held and obviously ignorant opinion that the majority of it was a shitehole. 

Couldn't deal with that whiney accent on a daily basis though.  

18 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

I see Edinburgh's getting a load of hate on here. Why?

I've only been here a couple of months but love it thus far, there's so much going on and the scenery on your doorstep doesn't really get boring. 

Edinburgh's the kind of place that ends up making you say things like 'thus far'.  Dreadful place.

10 hours ago, throbber said:

Inverness is a great place to live but nobody could describe it as "cool". Got a bit of culture shock on a recent trip to Aberdeen to see women not wearing fleeces and sensible boots.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Inverness is a great place to live but nobody could describe it as "cool". Got a bit of culture shock on a recent trip to Aberdeen to see women not wearing fleeces and sensible boots.

Aye its alright, I don't think its a good place to live if you're in your 20's but its good if you have kids and a decent enough place to grow up i suppose. 

15 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Dundee is certainly the only place I've ever been to see Petershill in the Scottish Junior Cup where the hot food available in the local pub turned out to be rolls and mince.

I worked in Forfar for a couple of years and the butchers across the road did fantastic mince rolls.  I haven't had one for 30 years but I think that's tonight's dinner taken care of.

Bonnie Dundee, sunniest city in Scotland. Situated around the Law, looking south onto the beautiful river Tay which protects us from the weirdos in Fife and protected from the weirdos in the north by the stunning Sidlaws.

Great developments on the riverfront, regeneration and a good, progressive attitude in the city.  Honest, non Tory voting people.

Two football teams you can go watch play each other, go for a drink after and not worry about being stabbed.

Plenty of nice pubs, bars and restraunts at reasonable prices. Good student scene and culture aplenty.

No bigotry or smugness like Glasgow. No shite trams or blandness like Edinburgh.

I dont mind Inverness but its no Dundee.

Stirling is a place passed by football fans going from east to west and vice versa.

Perth? Lol.

So in conclusion, Dundee is fucking cool as f**k.

35 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Bonnie Dundee, sunniest city in Scotland. Situated around the Law, looking south onto the beautiful river Tay which protects us from the weirdos in Fife and protected from the weirdos in the north by the stunning Sidlaws.

Great developments on the riverfront, regeneration and a good, progressive attitude in the city.  Honest, non Tory voting people.

Two football teams you can go watch play each other, go for a drink after and not worry about being stabbed.

Plenty of nice pubs, bars and restraunts at reasonable prices. Good student scene and culture aplenty.

No bigotry or smugness like Glasgow. No shite trams or blandness like Edinburgh.

I dont mind Inverness but its no Dundee.

Stirling is a place passed by football fans going from east to west and vice versa.

Perth? Lol.

So in conclusion, Dundee is fucking cool as f**k.

And pehs.

Aberdeen: very backwards as a city imo. For all the oil money a lot of it looks shite, awful infrastructure and the council seem to be clueless. Good for pubs/shops etc. but I'm not a huge fan, aside from the Dons obviously. Coolness: 4/10

Dundee: live here at the moment. Has an unfair reputation as being a total shitehole but it's only partly true. People are more down to earth than other places although there's a hell of a lot of junkies hanging about. They're making a huge effort to regenerate the city which is great and it's going to look good when it's done. Perth Road area is good for pubs/restaurants as well. Coolness: 8/10

Edinburgh: most aesthetically pleasing city of the lot, always get a sense of history walking through it. Being charged over a fiver for a pint is not so great though. Coolness: 6/10 

Glasgow: would be great if it wasn't full of bigoted wanks. Coolness: 7/10

Inverness: not been in years so can't comment

Perth: always struck me as a dull place. Coolness: 3/10

Stirling: underrated "city". Great having all the historic stuff at the top of the town and a big range of pubs/places to eat within a small area. Too many of a Celtic/Rangers persuasion though and it's so small that you see the same faces in town every day. Coolness: 7/10

• 8 months later...

Used to live in Dundee, can't say I miss it whatsoever and this cool city tag is just a response to the reputation it's traditionally had. 

Nowhere in the country beats Leith imo, wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK. 

Archived