The Rangers Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Rangers' next permanent manager?  

530 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I don’t get the idea that this is somehow a huge risk for Gerrard. If he fucks up he can return to a cushy role at Liverpool knowing that the main job is maybe not for him. Any kind of success and the Liverpool managers post is his to turn down whenever there is a vacancy.

ETA still don’t think it will happen, it’s surely season ticket bait before Murty gets 8 year contract.

I don’t think many think it’s a huge risk for Gerrard.

Sevco on the other hand.....

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Clarke on the radio there saying that there was no approach from Rangers.

He is hardly going to admit to an approach which is effectively illegal in football terms. 

Sevco asked, and Stevie told sevco to bugger off

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Why not?

Because it is not supposed to happen. But does

if he had said he was interested we would have the usual spin from papers about how it was his dream job

sevco are not an attractive proposition,  unlike financially doped dead rangers 

45 minutes ago, flood said:

He is hardly going to admit to an approach which is effectively illegal in football terms. 

denying that you've been asked about taking a managers job is a far easier way to ease/kill off press speculation and not burn any bridges with anyone. edit : especially if you *have* been asked and said "yeah, nah".

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't think one of the other big teams is miles off challenging Celtic.

If Rangers and Aberdeen had won just once against Celtic this season there would be a three horse race for the Premiership with 4 games to go.

Celtic are vastly over rated in this country.  Some good players sure, but they put out a back three's and four's with Hendry, Boyata, Lustig and Ajer in them.  Over all the standard of the league is terrible and that includes everyone from top to bottom.

The reason Celtic win, year after year is that Rangers and Aberdeen refuse to appoint managers that aren't either completely crap or complete bottle merchants.  Stevie Clarke has matched Celtic's points total at Kilmarnock, yet none of our city clubs can challenge.  Tells you everything about the situation.  One little bit of real quality in this league, in this case, Stevie Clarke, means even provincial teams can match Celtic.

If Rangers appointed a good manager they would have a very good chance of winning the league next season.  Forget even bringing in better players, if you could get someone to make men out of the current squads they'd have a chance.

Appointing Steven Gerrard would be a complete joke and probably put them back rather than forwards, it smacks of the Celtic appointment of John Barnes.  Great for the banter years thread but poor for the competitiveness of the league.

So much nonsense in that post, I hardly know where to begin.

I'll just focus on the part in bold, initially.  What are you comparing this against?  Do you work for Sky Sports?

1 hour ago, flood said:

Would assume it was a kind of unofficial, gauging his interest type of approach.

Stories did say "third party".

Some intermediary speaks to Steve Clarke's agent in an off the record type capacity.

"The Rangers job will be available in the summer, Clarke's name has come up, would be be interested?"

"Naw."

"Fair enough."

I'll just focus on the part in bold, initially.  What are you comparing this against?  Do you work for Sky Sports?
He's not far wrong. Are you visually impaired?

Guest JTS98

It's fairly obvious what's happened.

Rangers want Clarke but want to know if he's interested before they make a big fuss, so, like all clubs, they get a guy they know to find out if he wants the job. He says no. Rangers can deny ever making an approach, Clarke can truthfully say he's had no offer from Rangers. And Clarke will stick with that story because that's how people in the game behave and he doesn't want a reputation for loose lips that would put other clubs off approaching him.

27 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, Desp said:

He's not far wrong. Are you visually impaired?

Your first sentence is debatable.  Your second sentence, I wear specs.  Does that count? 

Still no idea what that has to with the standard of football up here and what he's comparing it to.  Though, seeing you're one of those weird EPL fanboys, I can see what you're getting at. 

Archived