The Rangers Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Rangers' next permanent manager?  

530 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Youth teams are not about results.   Rangers seem to have been playing quite a few young Scottish players here and there this season.  That may be because the club's crippled financially, or because Pedro's signings were utterly honking, but the youth teams are about producing players who are comfortable when called upon by the first team.  Seems to me that one of the very few positives Rangers could take from this season are the number of young Scottish players in their squad, most of whom have been coached by Murty.

I have a lot of sympathy for this post and, indeed, for Murty whom I'd wanted to be made our full-time manager.  The guy clearly has loads of good qualities and I'd certainly like him to stay at the club if that's at all possible - though I recognise that he'd be in a tricky situation.

I'd also hoped that having a DoF structure with the 1st team coach slotting in to a whole-club footballing philiosophy would see an end to our boom and bust years and that, over time, most fans would see the sense in us being fiscally prudent and having an organic approach to nurturing talent.  Certainly most of the P&B Bears are signed up members of the Mr Micawber Loyal.

Looks like we've abandoned that route and are back in full 55 or bust mode with big-named appointments, cash calls, share issues and war chests needed to fund it.  Not the way I'd like Rangers to be run.

Still, best wishes to Stevie Ger.  

Murty started off well and deserved a chance but his 'tactics' in the last couple of games against Celtic and a few other teams were horrendous. He all but gift wrapped the results for them. Walter Smith had far better players at his disposal yet usually went 4 5 1 in those games, Graeme just didn't get that. 

When a manager losses the dressing room as spectacularly as he did then it's usually the end for them.

51 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

if gerrard does go and take McAllister and Didi Hamann in his backroom staff then there is a danger he might make a job of it.

Gerrard - very limited age group coaching, no senior experience
McAllister - has been in managerial and coaching roles at a few English clubs, been sacked, did nothing of note.
Hamann - awful at non-league Stockport County 7 years ago

Whilst a case for McAllister might possibly be put forward there is nothing there to suggest there is a danger of a job being made.

43 minutes ago, bennett said:

Murty started off well and deserved a chance but his 'tactics' in the last couple of games against Celtic and a few other teams were horrendous. He all but gift wrapped the results for them. Walter Smith had far better players at his disposal yet usually went 4 5 1 in those games, Graeme just didn't get that. 

But this was bound to happen. They threw a youth coach in to manage a huge club in the middle of an absolute mess.  He's bound to make stupid errors. He's still learning under a hell of a spotlight.

But he's done far better than I expected. He deserves better than Rangers.

28 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Check out @ClydeSSB’s Tweet:

A definite maybe?

When a bird tells you she’ll let you know when she’s free :(

Edit - just realised it’s a different quote from the one on SSN even though it seems to be presumably from the same press conference. In their version he said he has a busy couple of days and so will pick it up on Thursday - no “the plan is” just Gerrard deciding if and when talks continue.

24 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But this was bound to happen. They threw a youth coach in to manage a huge club in the middle of an absolute mess.  He's bound to make stupid errors. He's still learning under a hell of a spotlight.

But he's done far better than I expected. He deserves better than Rangers.

Murty wanted the job full time, he wasn't forced in to it. I'd have loved it if he had succeeded but he just kept on making the same mistakes time after time. I'm not sure if he was just too stubborn to change but you can see why he lost the dressing room.

52 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Check out @ClydeSSB’s Tweet:

A definite maybe?

That is code for,  "I've told them I need at least £40mill and they've asked me to give them time to run around, cap in hand, to try and get the cash together. I gave them til Thursday".

A cheaper solution would be to get Darren Farley to turn up at Ibrox doing his Gerrard impression. He'd probably achieve more or less the same and cost almost nothing.

That is code for,  "I've told them I need at least £40mill and they've asked me to give them time to run around, cap in hand, to try and get the cash together. I gave them til Thursday".

^^^This............the Guardian also with “Gerrard has spoken to GASL” story.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/01/the-fiver-popes-o-rangers-graeme-murty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/01/graeme-murty-leaves-role-as-rangers-interim-manager-celtic-steven-gerrard?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

We all know that this squirrel/moonbeam/downright waste of everyone’s time and energy is just a repeat of the McInnes saga and His Slimeness Jabba will already have his ‘let ‘em down gently’ statement drafted out, ready to hand to the ‘journos’ once the ST’s are bought.

“Unfortunately, and after much soul-searching and concomitant heartfelt deliberation, Steven has decided that the pull of Anfield is just too great and if it had not been for Zeljko Buvac’ enforced sabbatical from Liverpool, Steven would have decided to put his senior management roots down at this particular club.

The Sevco management would like to thank Steven for his professionalism during our discussions and also inform the fantastic, loyal Sevco support that our search for a world class manager for this particular club shall continue, although Dave has told the Board that they can GTF if they think he’s puttin’ his haun’ in his poakit cos’ he’s about to get reamed n’ steamed by the TOP.

GSTQ.......WATP

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Gerrard - very limited age group coaching, no senior experience
McAllister - has been in managerial and coaching roles at a few English clubs, been sacked, did nothing of note.
Hamann - awful at non-league Stockport County 7 years ago

Whilst a case for McAllister might possibly be put forward there is nothing there to suggest there is a danger of a job being made.

DidI hamann had a career that saw him play at the highest level in the biggest games and under the tutelage of some of the best managers.

I've always thought he'd make an excellent coach

3 hours ago, bennett said:

A quick internet search shows that Steven has previously made it pretty clear that he won't go to Sevco, infact it was only last week that daily record and other publications reported that he'd told Sevco to do one.

Recent events have shown that Tommy would struggle with the Sevco spotlight.

Robinsons kick the shit oot of them 'tactics' wouldn't work at Sevco.

If we could talk him in to jumping the divide then Neil Lennon would be a good choice ( obviously we'd have to send him to a dentist first and do something about his hair), what he's done at ibs has been pretty good.

If you're talking about a minor spat with the Dundee coach I wouldn't believe our national press. If they're not discussing what old firm players or coaches did on their holidays then they're a bit lost sadly.

At the game 10 days ago, Tommy Wright came out the tunnel with a huge grin and waved to the Dundee fans all the way along the side of the pitch to the dugout, while they went mental. It was hilarious stuff.

He's also guided Saints to two draws at Celtic Park this season, something rangers fans can only dream of. The only questionable aspect would be home games against lesser opposition where he'd be expected to win comfortably and in a bit of style. Never been a strength.

4 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

DidI hamann had a career that saw him play at the highest level in the biggest games and under the tutelage of some of the best managers.

Good point. Successful players always make for excellent coaches.

Always.

4 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Diego Maradona - best player on the planet, played at the highest level, won World Cup - shite manager. 

42 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^This............the Guardian also with “Gerrard has spoken to GASL” story.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/01/the-fiver-popes-o-rangers-graeme-murty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Lovely Guardian article which, I guess, is in some sort of blog section.  On my initial reading I reckoned it was written by one of the demented Ps or Ds from here but then I realised it was pretty well punctuated.  The Grauniad subs aren't that good so it must have been from some grey and green dross who actually went to school.  Still, you can take the man from Garngad but you can't take Garngad out of the man.  Here's the big clue:

"It all means the 54-time champions (we genuinely couldn’t care less) are looking for their 16th permanent manager"

What Celtic fans care more about is that we have 54 titles and they have fewer.  We also know that what Celtic fans care about, even more then their own team, is Rangers.

So an interesting read and an insight to the psyche of the average Bhoy.  When they say, we genuinely couldn’t care less then you know that they do.

Archived