The Rangers Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Rangers' next permanent manager?  

530 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Indeed - but he's described what make a successful team of any stripe in Scotland - not just an Ibrox based one.

I thought about that when I posted it but I disagree with you.  The successful Ibrox teams over the decades I've been watching them have been built on hefty blokes who can put their head on the ball and who won't give in.  Playing football is down to the other 5 blokes in the team.

The horrible truth for Rangers is that there are  only three ways that they can hope to 'catch' Celtic.

1. Celtic implode [ unlikely ]

2. Massive investment. [ Highly unlikely ]

3. Find an exceptional manager in the mould of Stein, Clough, Shankly, Ferguson..............etc { Not Barry! ]

Or a combination of the above. And I say this without malice.

Or a meringue.

The more Rangers appoint 'Rangers men' the more they lose 'Rangers men'. Look at Ally McCoist. He was up there with their biggest ever legends, and has now became a pariah at Ibrox. Barry Ferguson next would be pleasing.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The horrible truth for Rangers is that there are  only three ways that they can hope to 'catch' Celtic.

1. Celtic implode [ unlikely ]

2. Massive investment. [ Highly unlikely ]

3. Find an exceptional manager in the mould of Stein, Clough, Shankly, Ferguson..............etc { Not Barry! ]

Or a combination of the above. And I say this without malice.

Or a meringue.

4. Build a time machine, go back 5 years and not pish away tens of millions getting promoted through the Scottish lower leagues. Invest in the squad in 2015 when they reach the promised land.

If only someone had pointed this out at the time?

'It's OK, we can afford it'.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I agree with that - but for surely every other Scottish XI the same applies?

I think when you think about Rangers over the years you think about our defenders first and foremost.  More so than any other club.  Aye, we had some brilliant attackers but they have always been a luxury.

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

4. Build a time machine, go back 5 years and not pish away tens of millions getting promoted through the Scottish lower leagues. Invest in the squad in 2015 when they reach the promised land.

I might be mistaken but I'm sure that there was a bit of a kerfuffle for a few years regarding removing the previous board members...

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think when you think about Rangers over the years you think about our defenders first and foremost.  More so than any other club.  Aye, we had some brilliant attackers but they have always been a luxury.

The game has moved on though, no team wanting to progres in Europe plays with four cloggers at the back. 

5 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...but feel free to add to the list.

Having been on PnB for a couple of years I'll now declare an interest. I'm 'Rangers minded'.
Ooft. Glad that's now out there.

Not enough to buy a recent season ticket nor enough to - in the PnB vernacular - 'save my club from dying'. because, of course, any right minded football fan would prioritise their family finances second to their team when it's self evidently being run by a bunch of self serving charlatans.

Pedro was an impostor. A joke appointment brought in from out of town by the Board of charlatans with the agenda of introducing somebody 'exotic' that the flaccid and lazy MSM wouldn't be (couldn't be arsed) scrutinising too closely.

I genuinely hope that Mark Allen, now he is in (what I think is an over engineered) post, will do the job he is getting admirably well paid for and the GASL keeps well away from the process.

I'd like a surprise. We'll see....

29 minutes ago, bennett said:

Barton was one of the English championships better players when he signed and appeared to have turned over a new leaf. Again not many were critical at the time.

Would they make the step up or would they O'halloran it?

Pena and Herrera have been called up to the Mexico team, which I'm guessing is at a higher level than our national team.

You're missing the point entirely with what I'm saying about Joey Barton. 

You're missing the point entirely with what I'm saying about the sort of domestic players Rangers should be approaching.

You're missing the point entirely with what I was saying about (usually) expensive foreign signings and the scouting infrastructure. There's an additional point in there about wages but I can't be arsed making it.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

I might be mistaken but I'm sure that there was a bit of a kerfuffle for a few years regarding removing the previous board members...

And? They were clearly playing to the gallery. All I have to go on is my friends and what I read on here and no-one gave a shit about the splurging. Hence the wee bit I've quoted. They could afford it because they've so much money. f**k what happens a few years down the line as long as we're lording it over the diddies. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The game has moved on though, no team wanting to progres in Europe plays with four cloggers at the back. 

Right now I'd settle for a single 'clogger' to help us losing goals to the likes of Killy and Motherwell.

4 'cloggers' would be a luxury.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Right now I'd settle for a single 'clogger' to help us losing goals to the likes of Killy and Motherwell.

4 'cloggers' would be a luxury.

The first thing a competent Rangers manager would do would be to sort out the centre of defence – even McCoist (who was certainly not competent) had Bocanegra and Goian.

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Having been on PnB for a couple of years I'll now declare an interest. I'm 'Rangers minded'.
Ooft. Glad that's now out there.

Hello hello.  Not an especially popular team to choose on the forum, young Pete, but we Sevco Bears are characterised by our easy-going reasonableness.  You'll fit right in.

Yeah I have always thought Sevco missed a trick in not building a good young team for the future while in the lower leagues. Instead they signed mercenaries like Kevin Kyle and Ian Black.

Archived