Refs

xnxx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

A bit off topic although how does the referee manage to caution for dissent etc if even he is swearing at players?

Bad weekend for them seen a lot of moans.on fbook. Ours was ok one of better ones in caley. Personally i dont.mind a ref who gies it back rather than book you!

Bad weekend for them seen a lot of moans.on fbook. Ours was ok one of better ones in caley. Personally i dont.mind a ref who gies it back rather than book you!

Heard a well know Ayrshire Ref say " shut the f**k up Jimmy and get on with the game"
Laughs all round , confrontation averted . Result

23 minutes ago, das scooter boy said:

Heard a well know Ayrshire Ref say " shut the f**k up Jimmy and get on with the game"
Laughs all round , confrontation averted . Result

☺☺ id prefer that rather than a.booking and club fine!

[emoji5][emoji5] id prefer that rather than a.booking and club fine!

Same referee different game i offered him my glasses as he was having a nightmare.
His response?
Walked over , offered me his whistle and said " you fucking ref game then"
Same again laughs all round
Way IMO it should be

A bit off topic although how does the referee manage to caution for dissent etc if even he is swearing at players?

Swearing at a ref isn't automatically dissent, it depends on how it is directed. Swearing is an expected part of the game when you have 22 players full of adrenaline desperate to win.

There is one thing that really rips my knitting when it comes to Referees, and that's when its a "friendly" and they refuse to apply the rules.

As a club we always offer the Referee team lines, as per SAFA rules, 90% of them say there is no need, its a "friendly". But as sure as the Sun comes up in the morning, something happens in a game, that warrants an ordering off. The Referee turns a blind eye because its a "friendly"

In pre season, we had a game against a Caley team, where they had a player "sent off" for a head butt. The Ref allowed him to be replaced by a substitute. Ten minutes from the end of the game, he was allowed back on the park to replace someone else !!!

My point is, that if the Referee isn't going to apply the rules, who does ? and if they are  not applying the rules in full, why don't the take half the fee for only doing half the job ?

As a footnote, playing "friendlies" without teamlines, null and voids the Insurance that we all pay annually

4 hours ago, Area 51 said:

There is one thing that really rips my knitting when it comes to Referees, and that's when its a "friendly" and they refuse to apply the rules.

As a club we always offer the Referee team lines, as per SAFA rules, 90% of them say there is no need, its a "friendly". But as sure as the Sun comes up in the morning, something happens in a game, that warrants an ordering off. The Referee turns a blind eye because its a "friendly"

In pre season, we had a game against a Caley team, where they had a player "sent off" for a head butt. The Ref allowed him to be replaced by a substitute. Ten minutes from the end of the game, he was allowed back on the park to replace someone else !!!

My point is, that if the Referee isn't going to apply the rules, who does ? and if they are  not applying the rules in full, why don't the take half the fee for only doing half the job ?

As a footnote, playing "friendlies" without teamlines, null and voids the Insurance that we all pay annually

report the referee and/or refuse his fee unless he does it right. you are not forced to play the game if you feel so strongly about it. 

53 minutes ago, Gunner said:

report the referee and/or refuse his fee unless he does it right. you are not forced to play the game if you feel so strongly about it. 

Report a referee? Can anyone tell me if they at any time have got any justice at all by doing this? I have yet too hear of any cases, certainly in Ayrshire, where anything has been done about a referee in the wake of a clubs report! The referees word is final. That's it end of story. Their reports are always accepted in full and clubs get nowhere reporting them. I will agree though in the friendly instance, if you felt so strongly, you should not have played the match 

8 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Know where your coming from here mate , referee paid to do a job , regardless ov whether its a friendly or not ,should still stick by the rules of being a referee , and show himself justice knowing that he made the correct decision regardless of whether friendly match or not , as we all know nowadays, their is no such thing as a friendly , especially as you have suggested , about player , committing red card foul , only to come back on and play . Not good IMO. 

4 minutes ago, The chassis said:

Youse are saying refs should be by the book from the start,but a bet youse have chapped the refs door after a game trying to get a yellow or red card not put through,

Mate , I'm not saying that or saying this , all I am saying is , if you are a ref and want to be a ref , and quote I'm not a ref, just be fair and do the job the way it should be done . Friendly match ,League decider , cup final . Do the job right . If that's your job , then do it correct , if a person has been carded red or yellow , and their is merit in this , then to go and ask the ref to not put it through is even worse imo ,  unless it was something silly that didn't warrant the card , but even then if ref agrees he's letting himself down again, lol.

Report a referee? Can anyone tell me if they at any time have got any justice at all by doing this? I have yet too hear of any cases, certainly in Ayrshire, where anything has been done about a referee in the wake of a clubs report! The referees word is final. That's it end of story. Their reports are always accepted in full and clubs get nowhere reporting them. I will agree though in the friendly instance, if you felt so strongly, you should not have played the match 

Most players/coaches/fans knowledge of the laws of the game is abysmal. Plus try as we might, fans in particular always see the match with a biased view of events

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Most players/coaches/fans knowledge of the laws of the game is abysmal. Plus try as we might, fans in particular always see the match with a biased view of events

Fans maybe but players and coaches knowledge of the game is far from abysmal. I think there are a lot of good refs out there but just as there are poor players and coaches, there are poor refs. These refs get away with that because their word is gospel. My point is if players, committee and supporters have to be held accountable then poor refs do too 

Fans maybe but players and coaches knowledge of the game is far from abysmal. I think there are a lot of good refs out there but just as there are poor players and coaches, there are poor refs. These refs get away with that because their word is gospel. My point is if players, committee and supporters have to be held accountable then poor refs do too 

There is a big difference in knowledge of the game and knowledge of the laws of the game.

Some refs are accountable for their performance. Refs in junior/senior get assessed regularly. Poor reports result in less prestigious appointments.

Unfortunately, amateur refs don’t as far as I’m aware. Also there is so much of a shortage of referees at that level that they can’t be afforded any discipline/suspension.

I always defend refs where possible as some of you will know. However yesterday the following happened and it got my blood boiling.
We had a corner, ball gets cleared to edge of box to our player, they are just about to shoot when the ref blows to stop the game for a head knock. Rightly so. Now as we all know (or should) the game should be restarted with a drop ball at the edge of the box, we expected the ball back or at the very least it to be challenged. The referee restarted the game by giving their keeper the ball in hand! Needless to say all my players were puzzled and angry at this, I questioned it with him and politely asked for an explanation and he refused, when I explained the rule to him and asked why he had not applied it I was sent from the side of the park! I don’t mind refs getting decisions wrong now and again but at least be big enough to explain the decision made or apologise when mistakes get made. That’s what I always did when I refereed and it didn’t get me any grief!

17 minutes ago, NewBallsPlease said:

I’m surprised there’s any defence of the suggestion that knowledge of the Laws of the Game is poor to be honest.

How often do you hear ‘last man’? ‘He lifted his hands, he’s got to go’ etc?

Referees do not consistently apply the "laws of the game" that's the point being made. 

Referees do not consistently apply the "laws of the game" that's the point being made. 

I agree mate. In my opinion there are many, many, referees who don’t know the laws of the game well enough to apply them correctly let alone consistently.

I’m not suggesting that ignorance of the laws is limited to players/coaches.

Archived