Unbeaten for 3 weeks QP v next for the slaughter Alloa

Once again this season I can say that's one of the worst queens performances I've ever seen.
From back to front was poor all round. The one going through wullies hands happens to the best keepers and just summed up the day to be honest.
Defence all over the place again after a good showing last week, failed to judge long balls, couldn't get the ball away and were run ragged,especially up our left hand side.
Midfield was non-existent, nobody willing to get a foot in and challenge for a ball whilst getting pushed far too deep every Alloa attack.
Up front was laughable, not one shot on target the whole game. Donnelly less than useless yet again and somehow played a full 90. Orr deservedly taken off at half time although should never have started the game, not one ball challenged for in the air and made the wrong decision every time it was at his feet.
Tactics from Gus shocking again, never before have I seen a team trail by three goals and commit all subs with no out and out striker on the park. McLennan sitting on the bench unused which is baffling. Only bright spark today was galts performance second half but begs the question why isn't he starting?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again this season Orr deservedly taken off at half time although should never have started the game, not one ball challenged for in the air and made the wrong decision every time it was at his feet.
so you're saying you wouldn't have started with Orr having scored the winner v rovers last week?!

so you're saying you wouldn't have started with Orr having scored the winner v rovers last week?!

To be honest he did nothing for me last week either. He got the goal through the ball falling at his feet in the 6 yard box abd again didn't challenge for any aerial balls and did little else to prove why he should be a starter. He sometimes gets the run of the ball through chasing on but against any experienced centre half there's no contest.

Surprised that no-one in the QP ranks has injected Halloween Horror into any of the posts. So here it is. Although Laurel and Hardy might be more appropriate.

Goal 1. Brady loses possession. Big deal. One simple pass and the striker rolls past Green - again - and plenty of time to tee up his shot.

Goal 2. Green completely mistimes his interception, getting himself out of position in the process. Alloa still have work to do but again are given time and space to put a decent ball into the kill zone. Cummins, abandoned by his partner, covers well but amazingly allows the striker some space to do his job. Then explodes at Green, even though the scorer was just a step away from him.

Goal 3. Wullie's a catcher, not a puncher. He gets an awful lot more right than wrong (as does Brady). Makes a bad mistake. Cummins again decides to blast him, completely ignoring the fact that the unchallenged header came from the player he was marking.

Goal 4. After outflanking Gus again at Hampden, Goodwin decides to have some fun introducing an ex-Queensparker into play just in time for the fourth. With one of our three central defenders hooked in favour of a midfielder, Meggatt accepts the challenge to get in the middle of 3 QP defenders and still get himself time and space to score a goal.

Substitutions? Heid's gone. Punitive for both Brady (who deserves much more respect) and Green (makes Wharton look like Bobby Moore) and neither added any effect on the team performance. Gus needs to stop being the tough boss and focus on what's best for the team.

Younger coaches like Goodwin must love playing QP. We've never scored more than 2 goals in a game in this league and if your team goes 2 up it's a high probability you'll win. But full marks to Goodwin and his team. When QP go two up we sit very deep and hold on. Alloa played for the sake of playing right to the end.

Here's the movie kids. Alloa fans get the popcorn out; QP fans get behind the settee.

Scott & Bring Yer......Gus's tactics might not always work but he seems to get it right a majority of the time when it matters. Promotion a couple of years ago is a prime example.

Every game seems littered with individual mistakes and this one was, again, a prime example.

For once, recruitment hasn't been a great success and we're clearly missing McGeever, McKernan and Zanetta.

I'd have Wharton back. For all that his mistakes tend to be whoppers, it's only one every 3 or 4 games. Now, we're making 3 or 4 every game. He can make a challenge and make it well.

Huge job for Gus to get it right. On the plus side, I see another 2 or 3 sides who aren't up to much either.....sadly, one of them banged 4 past us yesterday.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Scott & Bring Yer......Gus's tactics might not always work but he seems to get it right a majority of the time when it matters. Promotion a couple of years ago is a prime example.

Every game seems littered with individual mistakes and this one was, again, a prime example.

For once, recruitment hasn't been a great success and we're clearly missing McGeever, McKernan and Zanetta.

I'd have Wharton back. For all that his mistakes tend to be whoppers, it's only one every 3 or 4 games. Now, we're making 3 or 4 every game. He can make a challenge and make it well.

Huge job for Gus to get it right. On the plus side, I see another 2 or 3 sides who aren't up to much either.....sadly, one of them banged 4 past us yesterday.

I'd agree with most of this, but would Wharton give us the organisation and pace that's missing?     I was impressed with Crossan's speed for the goal, but highlights how slow and laboured we are all over the park.

We're not going to get consistency at this level of football, but compared to last season we seem to have lost far more than the contribution of the three above. Confidence?

Positives? Summers looks an assured player. Staying just less shite than Forfar and winning the play-offs is still a good achievement.

Here's the movie kids. Alloa fans get the popcorn out; QP fans get behind the settee.

Thanks for the highlights. Crossan did well for the first two goals, but certainly QP's defending for the last two was very poor.

Queens Park won 7-2 and went to the top of the table.

At least the result in the other game made up for it and a good day out.

Missed the Big Game before going into the Other Big Game, but did watch a little bit of the kids playing on the southern half of the wee pitch. There was a kid playing, No10 maybe, who was excellent.

My wee boy (4 Yrs, Apps 0) attended his third QP game. Aggregate score now QP 2 Others 11. Which means nothing really.

More importantly he was giving me some promising signs of showing an interest in proceedings which bodes well. I may have brought into this world a football fan, rejoice!

Two comments on repeated mistakes. Firstly, Gus signed the offenders. His choices.
Secondly, if it's happening every week then it needs a deeper look than just blaming players. When things go badly wrong, in life generally, it's usually the sum of parts. Gus seems intent on making them play his way. Maybe they're just not good enough for that. Maybe he could consider if there's another way.

Although the last couple of goals were gifts to put the icing on the cake, probably as comfortable a win as I've seen us pick up in a long time. 

Was surprised Meggatt was benched, I would have had him straight back in. Not that it really mattered too much as the defence had no real issues.

Could we have found a wee niche for Gary Fleming in a more defensive centre mid role? I thought he was fine yesterday, very settled and pushed forward when he had the chance to.

Crossan was excellent again. I'd imagine we would be looking at potentially extending that loan deal. Terrific run for the first goal, assist for the second and all round play vital. Looks to be growing in confidence too. 

Great to see Malcolm off the mark in the league. Overall we looked relaxed, composed and patient out there, which was good to see after looking a bit disjointed and desperate at times earlier in the season.

Two wins and 8 goals in the second quarter without really having to be at our best. Far more encouraging stuff in recent weeks.

Two comments on repeated mistakes. Firstly, Gus signed the offenders. His choices.
Secondly, if it's happening every week then it needs a deeper look than just blaming players. When things go badly wrong, in life generally, it's usually the sum of parts. Gus seems intent on making them play his way. Maybe they're just not good enough for that. Maybe he could consider if there's another way.

Yip, Gus signed them but let's not forget the restrictions that he faces. We've recruited well in previous seasons but it's a big step up from the juniors to competing with the likes of Raith.

His way has worked for us so far. If his current squad can't make it work then I'm sure he'll change it. But the level of errors is frightening; we won't get anywhere until that stops.

Archived