Survivor Series 2017

JamieStevenson

They are just all over the place with this.  Building up matches they'll end up not having, announcing Cena as a competitor but only on wwe.com rather than building it up, having Miz and Corbin have a pretty good feud through the medium of Twitter videos and (as far as I know) not really playing on it...this is either going to be an absolute bomb of a show, or one they really knock out the park.

I was very tempted to stay up for NXT Takeover then catch Survivor Series on Monday, but may switch that around now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Quite bizarre that they keep the title on Jinder all summer and autumn with the intention of sending him to the winter tour of India as champion and then having him drop it a month out from the tour. 

It's almost as if all of the backlash to his reign and to the racism in it has gotten a response.

Styles was never losing that match. It was such an odd match to make at the time they made it that the outcome was obvious. Jinder will go into the India shows as a big name and then disappear.

Then NXT to invade one of the shows, side with the other, and end up being managed by one of Steph's kids.

I can see them switching up the card again this week - seems sensible that they'd have Charlotte beat Natalya to make Bliss vs Flair.  Looks like the only match they will keep together is Miz vs Corbin, and probably only because they've forgotten they're actually doing it.

I don't think the Triple H thing is a shoehorn tbh. Going to post potential spoiler rumours here so...

It was said that the Jordan/Angle thing would lead to an Angle vs. HHH match down the line. So HHH coming in and taking the spot, and then pedigreeing Angle's son for good measure is a fairly natural way to get that going. I think Angle being in it also makes sense from that standpoint. I think he was always supposed to come back at this one, but they rushed the return back to TLC after the bother they had with that show.

...the John Cena one is definitely a desperation play though. That said, I'm not complaining. Looks like a cracking match. I think the Styles change was a desperation move as well. I thought that when they made the title match for Smackdown.

46 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

I don't think the Triple H thing is a shoehorn tbh. Going to post potential spoiler rumours here so...

Reveal hidden contents

It was said that the Jordan/Angle thing would lead to an Angle vs. HHH match down the line. So HHH coming in and taking the spot, and then pedigreeing Angle's son for good measure is a fairly natural way to get that going. I think Angle being in it also makes sense from that standpoint. I think he was always supposed to come back at this one, but they rushed the return back to TLC after the bother they had with that show.

...the John Cena one is definitely a desperation play though. That said, I'm not complaining. Looks like a cracking match. I think the Styles change was a desperation move as well. I thought that when they made the title match for Smackdown.

Shoehorn was the wrong word to use.  I just meant that they seem to be adding more and more big names to the point where I don't think there are any more they can really add without delving into the true shock territory.  Like usually you'd have a PPV but they might be missing Brock, and almost certainly missing Angle and HHH and the like.  Now it's all in.

That said though, I think most of the show in its current form was a desperation play.  Jinder didn't give them the boost they hoped, and they were facing down a main event that no-one really cared about, so they hit the panic button and dropped AJ in there.  They clearly had their idea of every title going up against their counterpart, but I don't think they really booked the title holders up to that point.  They threw them together and then realised that most of their matches had absolutely no heat, and that they really had no interest in building that.  

But none of that is particularly bad.  They've built probably the most stacked card there's been outside of WM (maybe the last Rumble?  Although that ended up being shit and was just the Rumble match) and actually managed to book themselves out of the hole they dug on short notice.  They always do far better when there's little time to build, which is why the over two months gap between SS and RR is going to be hell for RAW.  

On the spoilered bit...

Yeah, I always thought that would be the match for WM, but I'm not sure the plan was to start it here.  It could well have been, and it makes sense, but I thought they'd carry the can down to the Rumble to avoid what will now be a 5 month build-up to the match.  But the TLC plague that hit threw absolutely everything into the fire, and since then they've been booking probably a day or so ahead of themselves it seems.

Also, just noticed on Jamie's updated card (assume it's up to date as of RAW last night) that we have 8 matches currently booked.  Probably a couple added to the pre-show, but it's not the most packed out card in terms of the numbers of matches for a big 4.  Hopefully that means each one is given time, rather than booking 400 matches and charging through them.  

5 hours ago, bernardblack said:

How do they book Braun to not get pinned? Have Kane come out and they brawl to the back?

I'd imagine so... or he and someone else on the team end up fighting, he destroys everyone and then walks out... or The Miz draws him away and he's attacked by Kane & they brawl to the back?

Even if Team Smackdown did a pile on pin it wouldn't look believable with Strowman

7 hours ago, Dave1875 said:

Even if Team Smackdown did a pile on pin it wouldn't look believable with Strowman

I'd fucking love a proper playground pile-on at some point with him.  Probably closely followed by the pantomime "He's down...ohnowaitheisn't!" as he rises and throws five full grown men across the ring theatrically.

Was just doing the predictions there, and I have to say I have absolutely no idea how any of this show is going to pan out.  Out of all the matches, I'd say it's only really the Cruiserweight match that is almost certain, as I assume they're going to keep Enzo with the title.  Outside of that, I just don't know.  If they're going to go full-on brand vs brand as the theme, then I assume they're going to share wins leading into the final matches.  I've got Miz, Shield, and the women's match ending with RAW, but the rest all going to Smackdown just going by how they're building up.  I assume RAW lose the men's match to further the Angle/HHH storyline (plus their entire team hates each other) which would take it down to the main event.  I think Styles might beat Brock given the title isn't on the line...

And how are they gong to book the men's 5-on-5 anyway?!  So many in there they'd want to book strong.  Going to be some shock eliminations there early on, can only really see Roode out of the 10 of them that they'd care little enough about to job out first.  On RAW...Joe or Balor?  I assume Shane, Angle, HHH all stay in towards the end, so maybe an early exit for Cena?  Orton?  I'm hoping for a strong showing from Nakamura, maybe the final survivor as RAW implodes.  

Archived