Eindhoven

Girth

Spent a day there in the Summer, but having just come from Haarlem where I had one hell of a stupidly strong space cake I was wiped out. The main station is pretty close to the football ground which is worth a look. 

Some really good little places to have a drink though, this one being the pick of the bunch http://www.drinkerspub.nl/  the bar is stupidly long, and has about 1000 different variations of beer. 

I was Eindhoven this past New Year.

The majority of the city’s nightlife is concentrated on one long street, the Stratumseind, which is just off the square that the cathedral is in. It’s basically a street about a quarter of a mile long of bars and clubs. Decent enough night out, although it tends not to get busy until later in the evening.

There’s a cracking Argentinian Steak restaurant called “Sméagol” beside the cathedral. Although it didn’t serve alcohol as it was owned by Muslims, the food was superb. It did feel slightly weird not being able to get a glass of wine or beer with dinner though.

The Stadium is cool enough. Can’t say I really seen much of the city or what else it has to offer.

I went there for the day about 5 years ago (was staying nearby)
To be honest there wasn't much to see or do, the city is pretty much an industrial city. I believe it was totally flattened in the war and basically rebuilt in the 60's and as a consequence the hole city was just square concrete blocks everywhere

We were a da time trip, so didn't do pubs or nights out.
There was quite a few nice eating places though - can't remember the name of the place we ate, but there was no shortage of eating places around the city centre

We do go to the stadium though. About a 10 minute walk from Centraal station, did the typical stadium tour which is sme thing I end up doing in most cities. Was decent enough

If you have a couple of spare days though, jump on the train to either Den Bosch ('s-Hertogenbosch) which is about 30 mins north on the train or to the South and to Maastricht
Both are smaller but lovely small cities

I worked there for over a year about 15yrs back.

Not my favourite place in the world - but lively enough for a night out and the stadium is nicely located. Nearby Den Bosch, Maastricht and Turnhout all much nicer though.

Been twice my memory was decent night out but nowt there

Overall - small but friendly. Boring as f**k on week nights. A few decent boozers. Food decent and reasonable.

Next year will travel further afield.

Archived