East Fife vs Arbroath

There is no doubt that consistency is an extremely hard thing to achieve at a part time football club. With teams only having 16 or 17 players 2 or 3 injuries leaves the manager having to play players out of position and things. I was a bit worried before the game as Arbroath had been scoring for fun and we had been letting goals in for fun.Also add the the rave reviews from the Arbroath fans on here how good their team is and you would have thought it was going to be an easy away win.However as football does the script written before the game was a long way from reality. In all honesty Arbroath are the poorest team apart from Forfar I have seen this season. Playing into the wind East Fife played some decent stuff on the deck and Mark Lamont looked very good with some nice touches.Bobby Linn did well to make room for himself to score the opening goal but our tackling has to be better. We didn't start the 2nd half as well as I would like but Arbroaths keeper gave us a helping hand to get back in the game leaving his right side gapping for Duggan to score. East Fife now had their tails up and there was only going to be one winner.Two really well worked and taken goals had us on easy street even with 10 men. My man of the match was Mark Lamont our impressive record against Arbroath goes on.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half I thought we could controlled the game well, but always felt we needed to get another goal to give us breathing space. 10 minutes into the second half, I said to the guy I was with that I was concerned as we were sitting in too much, then low and behold...

no idea what Hutton was doing, should never have been beaten from that angle. Hammy should have done better on the second goal. Heads went down and silly mistakes allowed what was a very good finish from Lamont.

Abuse aimed at Dick was preposterous. We've had what I consider a good season so far with some incredible performances. 

This was the Albion game all over again. Let our heads go, and lost it in a short period of time. That's what we need to work on.

Thought East Fife were solid, if unspectacular.  For us,  A lot of good work early on, and excellent pressing but poor decision making and a poor final ball more often than not. Had we made the most of the first half, it would have been a very different game

I fully expect our game against Ayr next week an 8-8 draw, and for East Fife to batter Raith 6-1 at Starks.

And Queens to win the league

First half I thought we could controlled the game well, but always felt we needed to get another goal to give us breathing space. 10 minutes into the second half, I said to the guy I was with that I was concerned as we were sitting in too much, then low and behold...
no idea what Hutton was doing, should never have been beaten from that angle. Hammy should have done better on the second goal. Heads went down and silly mistakes allowed what was a very good finish from Lamont.
Abuse aimed at Dick was preposterous. We've had what I consider a good season so far with some incredible performances. 
This was the Albion game all over again. Let our heads go, and lost it in a short period of time. That's what we need to work on.
Thought East Fife were solid, if unspectacular.  For us,  A lot of good work early on, and excellent pressing but poor decision making and a poor final ball more often than not. Had we made the most of the first half, it would have been a very different game
I fully expect our game against Ayr next week an 8-8 draw, and for East Fife to batter Raith 6-1 at Starks.
And Queens to win the league

It was absolutely embarrassing, so cringeworthy.

Really don't think he should have reacted, however if I was him I would've been absolutely seething too.

Has overseen a league winning season, was sitting 3rd before today 27 goals in 10 games, 1 defeat in 20 away matches and people are losing their shit at you and shouting abuse because we were down 3-1.

Not his best day and he has to take some of the blame yes but the players are the ones out on the park playing the game, we all know there so much better than that showing. (I don't think you can really have a go at them either, every team has off days, got to look at it with some perspective)

Hutton, Hamilton and Little have had shockers for the goals. Short of making a subbie slightly earlier and getting stripped and playing himself I'm not sure what he could've done.

Even I was thinking what a bunch of spoilt fannies at the very few but loud boys that decided to do that. Think the word is fickle.

I am far from Dick's biggest fan - but some of the abuse he took today was absolutely embarrassing. His reaction was poor, and he shouldn't have gone as far as he did, but I don't blame him for reacting to it. If we were struggling this year then I'd maybe have a different opinion on that, but we've started the season very well so far and that level of abuse was incredible considering the situation. By all means some shouts about changing it up and getting the subs on was justified, but the screaming tirade of abuse towards him from half a dozen fans was madness. We weren't even utter pish today - we controlled the first half and were playing well then fell apart. These things happen - Dick can't stop the ball deflecting into the goal, Hammy being walked past or Ricky Little laying the ball up for the East Fife striker 18 yards out. We beat Airdrie 7-1 last week, had a good 45 this week and after a bad opening 20 minutes to the 2nd half suddenly he's getting absolute pelters?! :blink::blink: 

In terms of the first goal - I'm fairly certain the ball was crossed into the box, and it deflected into the bottom corner. Considering Hutton had to already be moving slightly forward/ right, then if it did deflect there's absolutely no way he could get back across to the near post in time. If there was no deflection and it was always a shot into that corner then it is poor on his part however.

Bobby had another good game this year after last week and his performance down at Stranraer but I thought Gav struggled again on the wing - currently had 1 good game there and 2 poor one's - the jury is definitely still out on him playing there to say the least. 

Even allowing for the wind East Fife were poor in the first half.Was happy to go in at half time only down to a top class goal from Bobby Linn.Gifted a goal by bizarrre positioning by Hutton East Fife exploited the Arbroath weakness on the left side of defence with 2 quality goals.Given the never ending injury problems Darren Young and the players deserve great credit.Not great numbers attending but the Raith game did a lot of damage.

I hope somebody had a word with these idiots shouting abuse at Campbell.

And re the pitch. Opposition players and managers have all praised the surface.

As for the game - great character from the players to dig in and earn the win. With a depleted squad injury wise I thought we were the hungrier team throughout. Mark Lamont came into the side and put in a great shift as did Pat Slattery, playing out of position on the left side of defence. Man of the match will probably go to Jordan Piggott who strolled through the game, no doubt assisted by having Jonathan Page alongside him...     

What a crazy league this is! Before the game I was really concerned with Arbroath scoring goals for fun and us shipping goals at an alarming rate in recent weeks - not a good mix ! We struggled to adapt to the conditions initially and kept giving the ball away cheaply but to be honest I didn’t think Arbroath really put us under any great pressure (thankfully !). Bobby Linn took his goal well and to his credit didn’t wind up the home fans with his celebration, running straight to Rab Douglas. Ten blistering minutes turned the game on its head. The equaliser was bizarre and an absolute howler from Hutton. Chris Duggan took a heavy touch and I thought he had to cut the ball back. Hutton obviously thought the same but great awareness from Duggan saw him roll the ball into the bottom corner. Great work from Aaron Dunsmore ended with him firing a driven cross to the back post where Duggan doubled his tally. Mark Lamont bent his shot from the edge of the box low into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

The game could have changed again when Kyle Wilkie got a straight red for a challenge on Hamilton. Would need to see the highlights but I didn’t see it as 2 footed and deserving of a red card. The referee couldn’t get the card out his pocket quickly enough ! Why do they do that ? Why not check player is ok, buy time to consult with assistants before dishing out punishment ? The challenge by McCord on Wilkie in 1st half looked similar but ref didn’t even give a free kick ! Surely Hutton Karate Kick impersonation with his foot up to an oncoming player is legal ?

Arbroath  were disappointing but for them to be compared to Forfar is nonsense as far as I’m concerned. They have far better players than Forfar and were much better organised. Happy that they had an off day today ! Delighted with the result especially with the growing injury list. Hopefully we have a few players back for next week and the Manager gets his formation and team selection right. Need players with good energy and willing to make tackles. Ben Reilly should get a start for his energy alone.

16 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Man of the match will probably go to Jordan Piggott who strolled through the game, no doubt assisted by having Jonathan Page alongside him...     

I thought Piggott looked really good for you today. Very calm and some clever work from him.

Dundee player isn't he?

Good signing. I'm really unsure about our reluctance to bring in a few decent loans to bulk up the squad a bit with all the injury problems we've had. We've got so few options on the bench.

Bless him, Big Rab is great for team spirit but he's 45. 

to be fair though we've had some absolute clangers in the last few years...

Who were you missing today apart from Doris ? I know McCord has done well recently for you guys but he didn’t look a striker today and didn’t really link with Denholm. We had a whole back 4 missing last week - Kane, Watson, Page (suspended) and Linton. Pagey was back today but we also lost Millar and Flannigan for today’s game. Players showed great spirit today. 

I am far from Dick's biggest fan - but some of the abuse he took today was absolutely embarrassing. His reaction was poor, and he shouldn't have gone as far as he did, but I don't blame him for reacting to it. If we were struggling this year then I'd maybe have a different opinion on that, but we've started the season very well so far and that level of abuse was incredible considering the situation. By all means some shouts about changing it up and getting the subs on was justified, but the screaming tirade of abuse towards him from half a dozen fans was madness. We weren't even utter pish today - we controlled the first half and were playing well then fell apart. These things happen - Dick can't stop the ball deflecting into the goal, Hammy being walked past or Ricky Little laying the ball up for the East Fife striker 18 yards out. We beat Airdrie 7-1 last week, had a good 45 this week and after a bad opening 20 minutes to the 2nd half suddenly he's getting absolute pelters?! :blink::blink: 
In terms of the first goal - I'm fairly certain the ball was crossed into the box, and it deflected into the bottom corner. Considering Hutton had to already be moving slightly forward/ right, then if it did deflect there's absolutely no way he could get back across to the near post in time. If there was no deflection and it was always a shot into that corner then it is poor on his part however.
Bobby had another good game this year after last week and his performance down at Stranraer but I thought Gav struggled again on the wing - currently had 1 good game there and 2 poor one's - the jury is definitely still out on him playing there to say the least. 

Duggan basically just had to pass it into the net , the gap was huge!

Who were you missing today apart from Doris ? I know McCord has done well recently for you guys but he didn’t look a striker today and didn’t really link with Denholm. We had a whole back 4 missing last week - Kane, Watson, Page (suspended) and Linton. Pagey was back today but we also lost Millar and Flannigan for today’s game. Players showed great spirit today. 

Doris, Skelly, Gomes.

McCord and Denholm have been absolutely brilliant this season. Terrible today, summed the day up.

Arbroath will do fine this season with the squad they’ve got and I’m sure Dick will bring in one or two in January to bolster the squad. Fans should have a reality check and appreciate where the manager has taken  them in a relatively short time. Hopefully they save their poor performances for playing East Fife ! 

Archived