Sofa so good

Hursty

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

British heart foundation or salvation army. Free delivery too.

Heart foundation charged me 20 quid (I think) to deliver about 6 miles on a  45 quid chest of drawers for a spare room. I kind of felt hooked in seeing as how it was a charity. Nosing round the charity furniture stores though there are some great bargains.

Just now, chomp my root said:

Heart foundation charged me 20 quid (I think) to deliver about 6 miles on a  45 quid chest of drawers for a spare room. I kind of felt hooked in seeing as how it was a charity. Nosing round the charity furniture stores though there are some great bargains.

£20? Fucking hell.

I've never actually bought anything from them so just thought it was the same as Salvation Army. My mate used to rent out a few crappy flats and kitted them all out with furniture from sale rooms or Salvation Army. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

£20? Fucking hell.

I've never actually bought anything from them so just thought it was the same as Salvation Army. My mate used to rent out a few crappy flats and kitted them all out with furniture from sale rooms or Salvation Army. 

I've bought stuff in the past for a rental, my 'man cave' such as it was, was getting filled up with crap so thought I'd get a cheap chest of drawers, got stung on the delivery, it wasn't even a particularly 'braw' chest of drawers and their till went down etc, all in all it was a bit of a shambles but felt a bit tight just fecking them off as it was a charity.  When I'm not beating the bejezus out of weans (as per another thread) I'm not a bad fellah. :angel

If you’re skint or just not wanting to fork out on an expensive sofa then gumtree is great, people want to get rid of such things with minimal
Fuss so if you can get access to a white van you could get very decent furniture for next to nothing.

As throbber says, Gumtree is your best bet, i tried to sell my old mans sofa on it when he got a new one and couldn't get rid of it within 5 days so ended up just phoning the BHF and they collected next day.

The last 4 sofas we have had, have all been from SCS, never had an issue bar the lazyboy not reclining properly, but the engineer was out within a week and if you're in the position to, their credit system is excellent and can pay the sofa up over a year or 2.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

As throbber says, Gumtree is your best bet, i tried to sell my old mans sofa on it when he got a new one and couldn't get rid of it within 5 days so ended up just phoning the BHF and they collected next day.

The last 4 sofas we have had, have all been from SCS, never had an issue bar the lazyboy not reclining properly, but the engineer was out within a week and if you're in the position to, their credit system is excellent and can pay the sofa up over a year or 2.

People will pay off their sofa over 4 years and then want rid of it so they can get a new one, having their old one will just be a hassle so you can properly haggle the price down if you can be arsed going to get it and have a van to take it away. 

I've almost paid off a fabric corner sofa i got from DFS when i bought the flat and going to get rid of it and get something leather, which will be handy for whatever the baby spills on it. 

3 hours ago, throbber said:

People will pay off their sofa over 4 years and then want rid of it so they can get a new one, having their old one will just be a hassle so you can properly haggle the price down if you can be arsed going to get it and have a van to take it away. 

I've almost paid off a fabric corner sofa i got from DFS when i bought the flat and going to get rid of it and get something leather, which will be handy for whatever the baby spills on it. 

Each to their own but I keep a sofa for as long as I can, we've had the current one for more than 10 years and 'my spot' is shaped to my arse.  Perfection. :)

22 hours ago, Hursty said:

Looking for a reasonably priced sofa / general living room furniture stockist recommendation, so thought the good people of P&B were a great place to start. Any ideas?

Argos do half decent ones. We had one previously from Next and you can hardly tell the difference between it and the Argos one, and at 1/4 of the price.

Each to their own but I keep a sofa for as long as I can, we've had the current one for more than 10 years and 'my spot' is shaped to my arse.  Perfection. [emoji4]

I'm like that as well. We've had ours for almost 6 years now. Got the Senator from Harveys

5a94d06ecf07d6c103e47e5ba79cffe3.jpg

We took out the 0% interest over 4 years but paid it off after 3. I can see how some folk would pay it off then move it on but that's not for me. I want my moneys worth. Plus this particular sofa is ridiculously comfortable. The wee one is almost walking and already she's done some damage to the fabric. It won't be long until it's completely ruined. I'll ve sad to see it go and now wish I had bought it in leather as I don't think it's stocked anymore.

Leather has to be the next one which I'm not pleased about given how much I dislike leather sofas: freezing in winter and roasting in summer. For practical reasons it's a must though.

If the OP is in the position I'd recommend the 4 years interest free option. You can pay it off earlier, it builds up your credit score and you decide what you pay. We opted for £40 a month.

The BHF have some nice used sofas but in no way can they be classed as cheap!