North Sea Middle Nations Cup

celticcup

How about, this for a n idea, so Celtic are less uncompetitive in Champs league, have them play more top teams. I think there is no way Cetic in the Atlantic leaguie would be good, I mean Rosenborg V Celtic is less interesting to fans than Celtic Motherwell, so what about a short cup, just a few games, So the competitors would be Scotland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Belgium and the Netherlands. Portugal is too far away and too good to be in it. Other nations are too far away. But maybe have Poland, but they are probably too far away. (The Baltic sea opens into the North Sea). Germany and England are too big to be in it,  You could have the top 2 of each league automaticly get into a group stage. then the 3rd and 4th enter a preliminary round, the winners of each 1 leg match, played in October, enter the Group stages, with the 14 top 2 teams. 

Then there are 4 groups of 5 teams, who play eachother just once. The teams who finish top 2, reach a quarter final, where they then play a 1 leg qf, then 1 leg 1semi, then 1 leg final, played at the ground of the team who has had the best record so far in the competition that season,

This on average would see a group of stage of teams like Rangers, Ajax, Rosenborg, Brondby, and Brugges, and Aberdeen, IFK, Helsinki, and AIK Stockholm,

This would mean playing a higher level of team, and instead of Celtic playing in the Scottish league, on average 1 Preimiership class team, Rangers (Not this season, but probably most seasons), 1 Championship class team, the Dons (and when they lose players, it will be Herats or Hibs who are that class), 2 borderline, Hibs and Hearts, and the rest league 1 standard,, they would play maybe 1 Premiership class team, being PSV, 2 more championship class teams, Viking and Copenhagen, and 1 more league 1 play off class team, Tronhdeim, and maybe if they did well, Celtic would on average play a Championship class team in the Quarter final, then get knocked out by Ajax in the semis, a Premiership class team. Surely this could help, Celtic and Rangers, and lessen the arguments for them to join the EPL. thus keeping the Scottish league around.

I would play the groups stages in November, December, January, and February, if possible, allowing teams to fit matches around Winter breaks. Then the Quarters in late February, the semis and final in March. 

The Winners would be crowned Champions of the Middle sized Nations of the North Sea, It would mean every season the Old Firm, of maybe Hearts or the Dons, playing higher level European games after Christmas, and would not take away from the SPL if handled properly. It would not add much money but would add a little. And if the Dons, or St Johnstone got far it would be great. The games could be mid week.

15 hours ago, celticcup said:

How about, this for a n idea, so Celtic are less uncompetitive in Champs league,

So all that drivel and nonsense not for the good of Scottish football but purely to focussed on this, your opening sentence.

How can I put this succintly - f**k OFF.

The Winners would be crowned Champions of the Middle sized Nations of the North Sea

Yeah, I can see that motivating the likes of Celtic and Ajax.

What on earth would Rangers be doing there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived