Celtc v Motherwell | League Cup Final

Mon Dieu

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I was saying to my Dad the celebrations were a bit muted because it was a pretty nothing game and the opposition had about one chance. With all due respect too, it's Motherwell, who are more diddyish than Aberdeen, the new team from Glasgow or either of the Edinburgh sides. 
It's a shame that had Motherwell won it would be like us winning the Europa League, but if these occasions weren't rare for them the celebrations would become more muted. 
Another thought I had is that half the Motherwell support would have been to Fir Park a couple of times this decade so f**k 'em and their party. 

I didn't think it was a nothing game.

I was actually really enjoying it up until the penalty. Obviously Celtic were fairly dominant but Motherwell were right in it at the same time.

I don't want to go into the whole diving debate etc. But it's just shite that a national cup final was ruined on a very soft penalty at best. And it was ruined, let's be honest.

I'm not saying Motherwell would have gone onto win but I was genuinely really enjoying it up until that point.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn't think it was a nothing game.

I was actually really enjoying it up until the penalty. Obviously Celtic were fairly dominant but Motherwell were right in it at the same time.

I don't want to go into the whole diving debate etc. But it's just shite that a national cup final was ruined on a very soft penalty at best. And it was ruined, let's be honest.

I'm not saying Motherwell would have gone onto win but I was genuinely really enjoying it up until that point.

Even if judged to be a penalty, there was no need for a red card.

17 hours ago, Booker-T said:

Even if judged to be a penalty, there was no need for a red card.

If the ref feels there was no attempt to get the ball and the defender was simply trying to take the forward out the game then the red card is the right decision, from the refs point of view.

If Kipre had slid in, took the man first and the ball, then a penalty and booking would be right.

As it is, the penalty is the debatable part of the decision. I think it was soft but I would also expect to see it given more often than not these days. The one at the other end was similar, though how much the ref seen of that and how much he should have been getting help from his assistant there I don't know.

Whatever the case, inconsistent decision making at best and incompetence at worst. I think previous performances would suggest the latter.

I've come back on here to read the comments that 'any contact' is enough for a penalty to be awarded to compare it to Brown's claim that he just brushed Moult off the ball in the lead up to Motherwell's goal in the league.  The force Brown used was greater but he wants to be measured against a different standard to Motherwell players.

Archived