Celtc v Motherwell | League Cup Final

Mon Dieu

I think if we were to have any chance next week we will need to score at least three goals and even then that might not be enough. We will need to play the game of our lives and can afford no mistakes, no sloppy passing or defending and we must take any chance that we get. For as brilliant as the semi final win was, we weren't great that day by any stretch of the imagination and could easily have been a couple of goals down at the break. We won't get away a similar performance in this one.

I would give everything to see us get the win next week and see us hold silverware but I just can't see us doing it and this will either go one of two ways; either Celtic absolutely destroy us by three, four, five or more goals or we will 'go so near yet so far' and lose late on or on penalties. I think I'd prefer us to get pumped by a high scoreline than endure the agony of a 'close but no cigar' scenario.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually really relaxed about the game on Sunday.

I'm going to enjoy the occasion, the 2011 Final was a poor day all round so I'm going to savour the whole day this time.

Can we win it? It's a long shot, but this team has shown, in such a short space of time, that they are up for a fight and will meet every challenge head on (or elbow on in the case of Bad News Bowman...)

The Motherwell players will need to have the game of their lives, and carry some amount of luck, to pull this one off.

That piece in the Sun is everything I expected it to be.

A "horror broken nose" [emoji38]

Also, the writer adds that it's out first League Cup Final in 67 years. Now, I know the Final in 2005 was a horrible day and most would like to forget it, but it DID still happen.

I'd absolutely love it, Kevin Keegan style, if big Bowman got the winner on Sunday.

I can't see us doing it unfortunately but I feel we'll give a much better account of ourselves than previous final embarrassments.

I see the game following a similar pattern to the 4-3 match at FP with goals at either end but I ultimately feel sellick will be able to up their level and run out winners.

Still, I can't wait for the pre match piss up, atmosphere and day out.

Praying we can do something really special and upset the odds.

Just now, Richie said:

Absolutely nothing to lose... Excep our shit if we actually go on and win emoji16.png

The party and celebrations that would ensue if we pull off the miracle will be utterly immense. I think I'll have a hangover detectable from space for a week if we win.

The party and celebrations that would ensue if we pull off the miracle will be utterly immense. I think I'll have a hangover detectable from space for a week if we win.

If we win on Sun I can see myself heading through to Motherwell for the scenes and having to negotiate my way home at some crazy hour.

... Have taken the Mon off. Just in case [emoji16]

Quite enjoying the build up to the PSG-Celtic game, where PSG are pleading for protection from the referee and Celtic are giving it the "we'll need to play the game of our lives" patter. Scott Brown hasn't told to Neymar to go and play Basketball yet unfortunately...

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:29, Desp said:

I'm actually really relaxed about the game on Sunday.

I'm going to enjoy the occasion, the 2011 Final was a poor day all round so I'm going to savour the whole day this time.

Can we win it? It's a long shot, but this team has shown, in such a short space of time, that they are up for a fight and will meet every challenge head on (or elbow on in the case of Bad News Bowman...)

The Motherwell players will need to have the game of their lives, and carry some amount of luck, to pull this one off.

Exactly how I treated 2012. Worked out okay it the end.

Similar circumstances. We were on a decent run and had just beaten Rangers in funny as fcuk circumstances, Cetlic were on an unbeaten run and going for a treble.

I hope you guys have as good a day as we had and get a bounce like this.

On 02/11/2017 at 11:16, Swello said:

I think the point about "look at me caring about things" is well made and I totally agree  - but I think in this case, it's simpler - it looks like something that a hack at the Sun has dreamt up as a good/lazy angle (or was approached by someone from the charity), gone to Phil's family off their own back and once it's been publicised in those terms, neither 'Well or Celtic can say much about it other than the type of platitudes that have come out so far - even though it would *never* have been something that they would have instigated themselves so long after the event. 

If this was something that supporters of either club had started, I would still have strong reservations but it would have at least have had the merit of being genuine - but something foisted on us by the fucking Sun just feels wrong and betrays a complete lack of understanding of how a small-ish club like Motherwell ticks. Interestingly, I've not seen *any* support for this from 'Well fans - either amongst my mates or online, etc - which tells it's own story.

See for what it's worth; I believe there will be a short tribute, but it won't be anything like the nonsense that became the 'Cooper Final'.

Essentially, a nod to his memory, and while I agree with you on pretty much every point here, it won't be over-done.

All in all, a decent thing is being done for a good cause. 

30 minutes ago, Al B said:

Well, we can now go into the final with the confidence that no matter what happens it wont be as embarrassing as that!

I don't know to be honest, this could very well fire them up to bounce back in style so as much as I always love seeing Celtic getting pumped, I'm not sure that this was a good result for us tonight.

Archived