Celtc v Motherwell | League Cup Final

Mon Dieu

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see there is a (rather ham fisted) attempt to make this final some sort of "Phil O'Donnell Tribute" type of thing. As a support and club, we couldn't have done more to remember the guy (and he was genuinely one of my favourite ever 'Well players - first time round because of how fucking good he was and second time round because it was *great* to see someone just playing football again after a badly curtailed career and obviously so content to be doing so) - but it is not the right thing to do in my opinion. 'Well have got to this rare final with a new team, a club that has changed in most respects and we deserve to enjoy it on it's own merits. 

As someone who almost exploded celebrating his (first ever) goal in the '91 final and as someone who was there watching Phil & co rip Utd to shreds in his last game, it just doesn't feel right to be dragging it up again at this juncture. (I say this as gently as possible) times have moved on and for 'Well, it's time for new stories to be written.

I'm not even going to be gentle about it. Important figures should be respectfully remembered, and for me there's nothing respectful about dragging it up and highlighting it at every opportunity. I actually find it quite crass and distasteful. I believe it's mainly caused by the rise of social media, but there has been a massive shift from "caring about things" to "look at me caring about things", that I find really uncomfortable.

Player/fan/staff....Everyone is capable of their own wee nod as they pass a photo in the ground, or pass the stand, or nothing at all...whatever they want to do there is a time and a place for, and that's the way remembrance should be for me. The majority of the playing staff at Fir Park these days probably had absolutely no idea who Phil O'Donnell was before they signed, and no-one should be offended by that.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I'm not even going to be gentle about it. Important figures should be respectfully remembered, and for me there's nothing respectful about dragging it up and highlighting it at every opportunity. I actually find it quite crass and distasteful. I believe it's mainly caused by the rise of social media, but there has been a massive shift from "caring about things" to "look at me caring about things", that I find really uncomfortable.

Player/fan/staff....Everyone is capable of their own wee nod as they pass a photo in the ground, or pass the stand, or nothing at all...whatever they want to do there is a time and a place for, and that's the way remembrance should be for me. The majority of the playing staff at Fir Park these days probably had absolutely no idea who Phil O'Donnell was before they signed, and no-one should be offended by that.

I think the point about "look at me caring about things" is well made and I totally agree  - but I think in this case, it's simpler - it looks like something that a hack at the Sun has dreamt up as a good/lazy angle (or was approached by someone from the charity), gone to Phil's family off their own back and once it's been publicised in those terms, neither 'Well or Celtic can say much about it other than the type of platitudes that have come out so far - even though it would *never* have been something that they would have instigated themselves so long after the event. 

If this was something that supporters of either club had started, I would still have strong reservations but it would have at least have had the merit of being genuine - but something foisted on us by the fucking Sun just feels wrong and betrays a complete lack of understanding of how a small-ish club like Motherwell ticks. Interestingly, I've not seen *any* support for this from 'Well fans - either amongst my mates or online, etc - which tells it's own story.

We will all remember Phil in our own ways and indeed I expect there will be some form of tribute from around the time of his anniversary. We don't need to join in on some Celtic style ambulance chasing mission which is more about showing how much they want to be seen to be remembering rather than actually remembering Phil O'Donnell.

29 minutes ago, MJC said:

We will all remember Phil in our own ways and indeed I expect there will be some form of tribute from around the time of his anniversary. We don't need to join in on some Celtic style ambulance chasing mission which is more about showing how much they want to be seen to be remembering rather than actually remembering Phil O'Donnell.

I'm not blaming Celtic or their fans here at all - they have as little to do with this as we do...

On 02/11/2017 at 17:41, ropy said:

Is it going to be any more than a round of applause?

Probably not. As its roughly ten years since his sad passing id imagine some form of acknowledgement to the guy, assuming his family approve would be a nice touch.  My personal opinion though is it should be no more than that though. 

• 2 weeks later...

By the sounds of things Celtic have sold out their 31,000 allocation so hopefully we do the same with ours as we will need all the support we can get on the day. All official club run buses plus Club 100 buses were sold out last week which sounds encouraging and the general ticket sale began today and from what I heard it was extremely busy up at Fir Park from early doors.

Oh well, that's that then.

Craig Thomson to referee Betfred final

Wednesday 15th November 2017

image: https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__13986402_1510741976_standard.jpg

Craig Thomson has been appointed as the referee for the 2017/18 Betfred Cup Final between Motherwell and Celtic on Sunday November 26.

The game takes place at Hampden Park and is live on BT Sport, kick-off 3.00pm.

This will be the fourth time that Craig has refereed the League Cup Final – he took charge of the 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13 finals.

The assistant referees are David McGeachie and Sean Carr and the fourth official is Andrew Dallas.

Read more at https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/craig-thomson-to-referee-betfred-final/#7H4B7z6hKiqFaBml.99

On 11/4/2017 at 01:22, Flybhoy said:

Probably not. As its roughly ten years since his sad passing id imagine some form of acknowledgement to the guy, assuming his family approve would be a nice touch.  My personal opinion though is it should be no more than that though. 

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/11/17/phil-odonnell-cup-final-tribute/

On 15/11/2017 at 15:01, Swello said:

Oh well, that's that then.

It wouldn't have mattered who got the gig to be honest, they are all hopeless and weak so this appointment won't do anything to our already slim chances of winning. 

I've said since all the boo-hooing about Bowman's (perfectly legitimate) challenge in the Semis that we are nailed on for at least one red card in this one especially since Brendan - the saviour of Scottish football - Rodgers made a point of highlighting in the aftermath in a very obvious attempt to crank up the pressure on the cup final referee to mark our cards early doors. I fully expect Bowman to be at very least booked for his first infringement whilst Scott Brown gets away with kicking f**k out of us unpunished throughout.

All that said, I really don't think the match officials will have any material influence on the result as I can't see us getting anything other than humiliated on the day.

Now the Aberdeen game's out the way, we can concentrate on this at last. Before the Rangers semi, I was genuinely (and unusually) confident that we would beat them - but I've got no illusions about this one - If Celtic play well, we're fucking toast.  The one thing that I am confident about however is that we won't put in the type of nothing performance that we did under McCall in the 2012 Scottish Cup Final because this manager and team have a different attitude.

I think our only, slim chance in this game is that we try to knock Celtic out their comfort zone a bit - and although we managed that against both Aberdeen and Rangers in different ways - it's not as easy this time. Celtic don't look entirely convincing at the back at times, even in our league - although if it was that simple, they wouldn't have gone unbeaten for so long - but we need to try and test them at least. My main worry is that in the previous two LC games, we had the best striker on the pitch but - no matter how good Moult is at present - we won't have this time and I think it's very difficult to see us stopping Celtic scoring to the extent that we can do it.

All that said, this will only be 4th cup final I've seen us play in over 30 years of watching us and I'm looking forward to it massively. No matter how unlikely, if the thought of winning the league cup  for the first time in over 65 years by beating Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic in successive games, ending Celtic's unbeaten run and then hosting them 3 days later for a midweek festival of gloating at Fir Park doesn't get your plums pumping, you need to change your hobby :)

Archived