Ayr United v Stranraer

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, Farrell must be a grade one moron if he thinks Adams tackle at the first red card is a straight red.  Now the tackle on Crawford...that was probably the worst tackle in the game.

To summarise, F*** Stranraer.  They came looking to kick and time waste their way to a 0-0 draw and got exactly what they deserved.

Adams' tackle at the first red is perfect, apart from play being stopped. Reaction stupid, but red card probably harsh. Hard to see at the second red what the extent of the contact on Adams is. Red seems harsh again unless he's poked him in the eye or something.

Looked like a decent performance overall from Ayr though. McCall telling us that we should be more excited about a second place side is a bit precious.

Thought we were slow in getting started this game. Not sure what happens at Friday’s training but should be better prepared for a bit of wind and Stranraers in yer face approach. McCalls half time substitutions were a big factor in winning the game. Geggan was getting too wound up and the inconsistent refereeing meant the danger of a red card coming. Adams played them at their own game and even managed to get them rattled. 

Both red cards were harsh on the players themselves but the correct result for the team. Stranraer turned up with the intention of kicking, time wasting and wrestling their way to a result. It seemed to stop us playing and almost worked for them so surprised their players reacted when they got some back. Overall a good Ayr performance in difficult circumstances with no injuries or red cards picked up. Hammill delivered a masterclass in playing beyond the rules for almost the entire game. 

Good to see Mat Northcroft being the centre of attention as per :lol:

Ayr denied an absolutely blatant penalty. Turner only yellowed for a clear red, Robertson given a red for a borderline yellow and Jamie Adams' reaction to Bell landing on him :lol:

Was surprised McCall switched to 4-3-3 at half time but clearly worked. Shame Geggan went off but thought Adams did very well

Biggest problem was how the ref just lost control of the game but felt it wasn't the refs fault, clearly Stranraer having no other option but to stick the boot in

Was not impressed at all with Stranraer, not the same team from the play offs two seasons ago

Was surprised McCall switched to 4-3-3 at half time but clearly worked. Shame Geggan went off but thought Adams did very well

Biggest problem was how the ref just lost control of the game but felt it wasn't the refs fault, clearly Stranraer having no other option but to stick the boot in

Was not impressed at all with Stranraer, not the same team from the play offs two seasons ago

They had good players in that team though. Malcolm, Cairney, Stirling and Gibson are all top players in this league. There’s no one in that team that I’d want playing for us.

They had good players in that team though. Malcolm, Cairney, Stirling and Gibson are all top players in this league. There’s no one in that team that I’d want playing for us.

Just wasn't impressed by any of their guys yesterday, nobody stood out

Just an off day maybe then for them?

Wow! A lot different when you watch the highlights.
Not one punch thrown and Ayr had even more chances the I remembered last night.
Adams is pulling at Bells arm for the sending off. Hopefully Stranraer can appeal that one.
Robertson lifted his hands so not much can be done there.
Another day Turner would of been sent off.
Interesting to see Geggans tackle left out of the highlights as well as Turners early challenge that McCall talks about.
Not bothered about seeing the Geggan tackle for silly point scoring on here but would like to see if it was as bad as it looked at the time. Adams certainly wasn’t but still reckless and stupid.

Just watched the highlights and if the Stranraer manager thinks Adams challenge is a red then the one by the Stranraer boy on Crawford before that is most certainly a red. Have to admit though don't really think Robertson deserved to be sent off considering all he seemed to do was push Adams, wouldn't class that as violent conduct as such.

Ayr deserved the 3 points with Adams making the difference coming on after the break. Belford was our best player with some great saves. The referee was pretty poor for both sides. Robertson and Bell should have received yellows for their reactions. Seen the attendance was only 1400 with around 200 away fans, changed days when Somerset used to be packed.

Well played Ayr and look forward to the return game in the new year [emoji106]

15 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Wow! A lot different when you watch the highlights.
Not one punch thrown and Ayr had even more chances the I remembered last night.
Adams is pulling at Bells arm for the sending off. Hopefully Stranraer can appeal that one.
Robertson lifted his hands so not much can be done there.
Another day Turner would of been sent off.
Interesting to see Geggans tackle left out of the highlights as well as Turners early challenge that McCall talks about.
Not bothered about seeing the Geggan tackle for silly point scoring on here but would like to see if it was as bad as it looked at the time. Adams certainly wasn’t but still reckless and stupid.

Can't agree after watching the highlights, Adams knew exactly what he was doing and executed it perfectly without being close to hurting his opponent, that in my book was a perfect tackle that can at times turn a game dramatically.

It may be an old fashioned view of football, but we needed Adams to make his presence felt.  Stranraer were kicking and niggling all over the park, and sometimes you need someone to go and sort it out.  Hamill in particular was using his experience well in the first half to break things up (and wind up Geggan!).  Reminded me a bit of Jim Goodwin a few matches back.  The referee definitely has to take some responsibility though - the failure to show a straight red for the tackle on Crawford meant it was always likely things might get out of hand.  Don't see much defence for either red card - it wasn't vicious, but lifting your hands nowadays just gives the referee to the chance to send you off.  

It may be an old fashioned view of football, but we needed Adams to make his presence felt.  Stranraer were kicking and niggling all over the park, and sometimes you need someone to go and sort it out.  Hamill in particular was using his experience well in the first half to break things up (and wind up Geggan!).  Reminded me a bit of Jim Goodwin a few matches back.  The referee definitely has to take some responsibility though - the failure to show a straight red for the tackle on Crawford meant it was always likely things might get out of hand.  Don't see much defence for either red card - it wasn't vicious, but lifting your hands nowadays just gives the referee to the chance to send you off.  

Don't disagree with much of this but I did feel Adams made a bit of a meal over the second red.

I was behind the goals in the second half and as Adams was on the ground it looked like the boy booted him in the face, watching the highlights, the player motions like he is about to and Adams holds his face and rolls away.  From the position of the ref, I wonder if he thought there was a boot to the face as well

53 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Don't disagree with much of this but I did feel Adams made a bit of a meal over the second red.

Happened right in front of me - Stranraer player definitely put his hand into his face.  Other point I'd make is that It is only a couple of months since Adams had about 7 bones broken in his face, so maybe he is still a wee but tender.

Archived