Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be United's next permanent manager?  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

He showed you how to win a Scottish Cup.

He also showed you how to stay in the championship for three years on the trot.  Let' face it there's every chance you' still be down here with that chump in charge.

44 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

According to the courier he has been given a deal till end of the season, isn’t getting any transfer budget for January and has to keep McKinnon backroom staff

According to The Courier it has been reported elsewhere that the new manager (whoever that may be) will only be offered a deal until the end of the season etc.  The Courier aren't reporting it directly.

48 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

According to the courier he has been given a deal till end of the season, isn’t getting any transfer budget for January and has to keep McKinnon backroom staff

United fans cannot be overly happy with that, surely. Seems a very meh appointment. Clearly Stubbs was the first choice, once he turned it down, it was a case of who's out there  not called John Hughes. A bizarre decision if true, especially with the likes of McIntyre available.

25 minutes ago, AGPar said:

United fans cannot be overly happy with that, surely. Seems a very meh appointment. Clearly Stubbs was the first choice, once he turned it down, it was a case of who's out there  not called John Hughes. A bizarre decision if true, especially with the likes of McIntyre available.

Not my reading of it. Stubbs, along with several others, has been interviewed. Nothing to suggest that he was any more favoured than any other candidate.

If we're guessing, which we appear to be, my money would be on Stubbs pulling out of the race when he heard that the deal was only to the end of the season and there was no big pay-off on the horizon if he failed to get us up. That says more about Stubbs' confidence in his abilities than it does about United. It's different if you're asking someone to leave a secure job but any out-of-work candidate interested in the post should have enough confidence in their ability to get the club with the best budget (and frankly best players) out of the division at their first attempt. contract. 

40 minutes ago, AGPar said:

In what way was Stubbs clearly first choice? Was interviewed along with others but wasn't offered the job. Had he been first choice he would have been offered the job.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not my reading of it. Stubbs, along with several others, has been interviewed. Nothing to suggest that he was any more favoured than any other candidate.

If we're guessing, which we appear to be, my money would be on Stubbs pulling out of the race when he heard that the deal was only to the end of the season and there was no big pay-off on the horizon if he failed to get us up. That says more about Stubbs' confidence in his abilities than it does about United. It's different if you're asking someone to leave a secure job but any out-of-work candidate interested in the post should have enough confidence in their ability to get the club with the best budget (and frankly best players) out of the division at their first attempt. contract. 

I'm a bit confused over this narrative that United have the best squad in the division. I reckon only about two or three of that team would get into the current St Mirren side. 

39 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It was all making so much sense, until that bit.

36 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm a bit confused over this narrative that United have the best squad in the division. I reckon only about two or three of that team would get into the current St Mirren side. 

Not sure that  qualifies as an entire narrative, to be fair. A narrative would be more along the lines of Jack Ross being currently considered one of the best coaches in the country for taking St Mirren three points clear of a United side who have just sacked their manager. That's awfully harsh on McKinnon if the deficit is merely down to St Mirren having a superior squad.

In any event, I'm not really seeking to convince anyone that we've got the best squad simply pointing out that that's the premise the United board will be operating on: you'll be managing the biggest club, with the biggest budget and the best players so we expect you to win the league in your first season. That will be the rationale. 

FWIW, I wouldn't want any more than one of your players for our first team either, with another one for the squad.

The only person saying Alan Stubbs was first voice was.....

....wait for it....

Alan Stubbs.

He clearly was. Why would he say it ?
And if he wasn't why isnt thomson putting the record straight ? I certainly would.

Not sure that  qualifies as an entire narrative, to be fair. A narrative would be more along the lines of Jack Ross being currently considered one of the best coaches in the country for taking St Mirren three points clear of a United side who have just sacked their manager. That's awfully harsh on McKinnon if the deficit is merely down to St Mirren having a superior squad.
In any event, I'm not really seeking to convince anyone that we've got the best squad simply pointing out that that's the premise the United board will be operating on: you'll be managing the biggest club, with the biggest budget and the best players so we expect you to win the league in your first season. That will be the rationale. 
FWIW, I wouldn't want any more than one of your players for our first team either, with another one for the squad.

I don't think Rankin wants to come back to Tannadice, PMS.

Archived