Poorest Scoring Start to a Season

HibeeJibee

Over in the 'Cowdown Countdown' thread in the SPFL2 sub-forum, a poster observes that after 9 games (the quarter way mark) Cowdenbeath have only managed 3 goals.

Does anyone - maybe Craigkillie with his database stuff - know of a poorer start to a league season, whether at the quarter mark or an arbitrary figure (for which 10 might be more typical)?

I'm not there yet in terms of being able to work this stuff out from my files.  I'm hoping that if someone asked me this question next season I'd be able to answer it in a couple of minutes, but I've still got to connect quite a few dots.

City have scored 5 goals in 9 league games now so we're not far behind Cowden. If it wasn't for Clyde leaking three goals to us at Broadwood.... in fact Clyde should do the honourable thing and disband in light of this fact! 

12 hours ago, David W said:

Cowden got one of their goals against us as well! That said, it was a penalty awarded for a foul outside the box so shouldn't count anyway.

Aye but the ref just squared things up for missing the blatant hand ball on the line a few minutes earlier:P

I was thinking that Clydebank's senior team might have challenged this low scoring start, in 1999/00. They in fact scored 7 goals in their opening 9 games. They did finish the season with only 17 league goals, including a run of only 1 goal in the last 9 matches.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 22:48, NorthernLights said:

Aberdeen managed just 3 goals in the opening 9  league games of the 1999/00 season, picking up a single point.  Took until our 7th game to score our first.  Our 10th league game was the 6-5 win against Motherwell.

The bounce in the Dick Donald Stand when Andy Dow's free kick hit the back of the net against United was epic.  Still lost the game IIRC. 

Archived