Queens v Falkirk

It's pretty much just the dinosar pundits and hacks that think artificial pitches should be banned.

I guess if you are fortunate enough to have a decent form of Astro ( you do at Falkirk) then there is an argument for them but by no stretch of the imagination do they make for a good spectacle. Most players detest them although naturally what they say privately is a bit different to the "party line".

Unfortunately we have a horrendous bouncy version where the ball is constantly bobbling in general play but especially at throw ins. The clue is in the name - it is an "artificial " form of football that does nothing to enhance the quality of the product.

The quality of our surface is sadly closer to the quality of the Alloa pitch than it is to TFS and that is not good enough for Championship football. Sadly we seem to be stuck with it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess if you are fortunate enough to have a decent form of Astro ( you do at Falkirk) then there is an argument for them but by no stretch of the imagination do they make for a good spectacle. Most players detest them although naturally what they say privately is a bit different to the "party line".

Unfortunately we have a horrendous bouncy version where the ball is constantly bobbling in general play but especially at throw ins. The clue is in the name - it is an "artificial " form of football that does nothing to enhance the quality of the product.

The quality of our surface is sadly closer to the quality of the Alloa pitch than it is to TFS and that is not good enough for Championship football. Sadly we seem to be stuck with it.

Point taken, but can someone explain to me when grass pitches suddenly became so good you don’t get occasions when the ball bobbles?

The ball runs truer on a good artificial pitch and IMO players that complain a lot them usually do so because they cannot blame the surface for their f**k ups.....although they will try.

Point taken, but can someone explain to me when grass pitches suddenly became so good you don’t get occasions when the ball bobbles?

The ball runs truer on a good artificial pitch and IMO players that complain a lot them usually do so because they cannot blame the surface for their f**k ups.....although they will try.

There is a lot in what you say - at Palmerston pre Astro we invariably had a great grass surface up until Jan/Feb - when the drying Spring winds emerged we ended up with a rutted bouncy grass surface.

My view might be different if we had a surface similar to yours but as things stand it is hard to be complimentary about our surface and I would view it as a big leveller in terms of home advantage.

41 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Why all of a sudden has their been a change of heart for many Queens fans now ?

I recall many posters quoting a players poll that their surface was the best and various posts of the surface is good. I always noticed that when the ball was played on the surface it didnt roll on the surface as it should and bobbled like fuk, the end of the day it should run better than grass in that test, the bounce is another matter but the basic is running smoothly when played on it.

I do fear when we come around to renewing ours in that we may end up with something inferior to what we have now

As soon as you entered the ground for our last home game you could immediately tell that the pitch had recently had an obscene amount of black rubber pellets dumped on top of it.

During the warm up you could see this was having a large impact on how the ball was rolling/bobbling and bouncing unnaturally - instantly drawing comparisons to the much maligned Alloa pitch of previous seasons.

3 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

As soon as you entered the ground for our last home game you could immediately tell that the pitch had recently had an obscene amount of black rubber pellets dumped on top of it.

During the warm up you could see this was having a large impact on how the ball was rolling/bobbling and bouncing unnaturally - instantly drawing comparisons to the much maligned Alloa pitch of previous seasons.

Wasn't Queens surface replaced fairly recently though, resulting in a much better product?

Alloa's pitch was replaced a couple of seasons ago BTW and is actually pretty good now. The previous one was obscenely bad though!

The complaints about our pitch only seem to have cropped up in the last few weeks. Up until then I don’t recall hearing anything except from those that have never liked it.

I have heard on a number of occasions that the club don’t have the correct brushes for the pitch and that it is badly neglected. Perhaps something for the SLOs to chase?

Why all of a sudden has their been a change of heart for many Queens fans now ?
I recall many posters quoting a players poll that their surface was the best and various posts of the surface is good. I always noticed that when the ball was played on the surface it didnt roll on the surface as it should and bobbled like fuk, the end of the day it should run better than grass in that test, the bounce is another matter but the basic is running smoothly when played on it.
I do fear when we come around to renewing ours in that we may end up with something inferior to what we have now

No change of heart from me - you can't defend the indefensible.In all honesty no club in their right mind would buy a similar pitch to ours from the provider - in fact they should be named and shamed until they acknowledge the unacceptable quality and replace it.

No change of heart from me either.

I still think the surface is fine.  Aesthetically, it seemed a bit ropey in our last home game as it had clearly had a recent swamping in pellets.  I don't remember noticing any evidence of it playing differently though.

I don't buy the line that it negates home advantage by being a leveller.  If it played uniquely, that would surely be to our advantage.  That was certainly the prevailing wisdom when early, poor surfaces at QPR, Luton and Oldham were considered.

No change of heart from me - you can't defend the indefensible.In all honesty no club in their right mind would buy a similar pitch to ours from the provider - in fact they should be named and shamed until they acknowledge the unacceptable quality and replace it.

The current pitch is a replacement remember.!! The previous one lasted one season if memory serves me correct?

Obviously nothing matches a top class grass pitch. However with the weather up here and the costs of keeping a pitch pristine artificial pitches give a better game of football through the winter months than the majority of grass pitches. It's quite embarrassing to see the standard of pitch some of our top sides like Aberdeen and hearts have had in recent seasons.

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Get them fucking pumped on their own shitey pitch Hartley

You know he'll set up for a 0-0 draw with the hope of snatching a late goal. Any point for you away from home against a team in the top half of the league would be an unexpected bonus.

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

You know he'll set up for a 0-0 draw with the hope of snatching a late goal. Any point for you away from home against a team in the top half of the league would be an unexpected bonus.

Correct.

Hartley might be just the man to get them punching above their weight like that though.  That's what worries me.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No change of heart from me either.

I still think the surface is fine.  Aesthetically, it seemed a bit ropey in our last home game as it had clearly had a recent swamping in pellets.  I don't remember noticing any evidence of it playing differently though.

It got some extra pellets at the start of the season, as probably every 3G pitch in the country does for their annual inspection. It didn't get any extra before the Dunfermline game. All that happened is it was brushed on the morning of the game, in light rain, because it was too wet to brush it on the Friday as would normally happen. The crumb was therefore more obvious.

As Alloa replaced the pitch recently to the same manufacturer as us I would suggest your pitch is more Kilmarnock or Hamilton than TFS.

By the way I want to see the back of our plastic too despite it being recognised as the best in Scotland.

It got some extra pellets at the start of the season, as probably every 3G pitch in the country does for their annual inspection. It didn't get any extra before the Dunfermline game. All that happened is it was brushed on the morning of the game, in light rain, because it was too wet to brush it on the Friday as would normally happen. The crumb was therefore more obvious.

What do you use to keep it in good condition? Do you have machinery or is it done manually? I believe we bought a bit of kit to keep it from going flat.

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

What do you use to keep it in good condition? Do you have machinery or is it done manually? I believe we bought a bit of kit to keep it from going flat.

There is machinery. Brushes plus a new tining machine added recently I think.

Archived