Queens v Falkirk

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. That was shite.

I’ll start with the only positive. Cieran Dunne. Anything remotely good came from him today. As a team we were shite of course but he was brilliant. Doesn’t always make the right decision but what a performance from a 17 year old making his first start. Had the beating of Fordyce in the first half and then Rooney in the second. Put a good ball in for Austin in the first half which he should’ve buried and had a great assist with the outside of his left foot for Jordan McGhee’s goal. He’s the only player that can be proud of their performance today and that actually played well.

The negatives are pretty much everything else. Especially Robbie fucking Thomson.

We started really well tbf. We were on top for the first 15 minutes or so had a few half chances and had the majority of possession. The first goal was all down to Conrad Balatoni his back pass was terrible far too short and tbf to him Thomson was unlucky that the deflection fell back to Dobbie and he tapped it in. The second goal Thomson was definitely at fault however, I’ve no idea what he was trying and thinking he was doing. Standing still on his 6 yard box rather than coming out for the ball and left a huge gap for Dykes to chip it into.

Second half we were incredibly lucky that Queens missed numerous chances. Dobbie, Dykes and in particular Murray all missed fairly easy chances and if we had been 5 or 6 down it would’ve been fair enough. For Connor Murray’s chance Thomson was again at fault for half coming off his line then stopping. Third goal was yet more shite goalkeeping thought first he could’ve came and got the ball but the header went right through him.

We got a couple of goals back through good play from Dunne then fair enough conceded the 4th as we pushed on for the equaliser that was fair enough.

Until we scored the goals though that second half performance was an embarrassment. Dunne was the only one showing for the ball and attempting to do anything with it. Loy and Miller fair enough weren’t great but also they didn’t have great service, McKee hiding again, Balatoni comfortably his worst game for us, Tony Gallacher absolutely pish yet again he is nowhere near good enough, Austin was shite, Hippo non existent on the right, Craigen invisible and of course Robbie Thomson being dreadful. Hope to f**k we can get a new ‘keeper in for the game next week.

So 8-2 on aggregate against Queens this season and that’s with the 4-2 today really flattering us. We just need to hope we’re not cut adrift along with Brechin before we can hopefully get a few of these dreadful players punted elsewhere in January.

Went along fearing the worst against the "new improved" Falkirk.  There was no need to worry as there was little signs of improvement.  We even let Falkirk  have a couple of late goals to make it interesting but they were still too useless to make any difference.  Well done Queens. "Aero" LOL 

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Well. That was shite.

I’ll start with the only positive. Cieran Dunne. Anything remotely good came from him today. As a team we were shite of course but he was brilliant. Doesn’t always make the right decision but what a performance from a 17 year old making his first start. Had the beating of Fordyce in the first half and then Rooney in the second. Put a good ball in for Austin in the first half which he should’ve buried and had a great assist with the outside of his left foot for Jordan McGhee’s goal. He’s the only player that can be proud of their performance today and that actually played well.

The negatives are pretty much everything else. Especially Robbie fucking Thomson.

We started really well tbf. We were on top for the first 15 minutes or so had a few half chances and had the majority of possession. The first goal was all down to Conrad Balatoni his back pass was terrible far too short and tbf to him Thomson was unlucky that the deflection fell back to Dobbie and he tapped it in. The second goal Thomson was definitely at fault however, I’ve no idea what he was trying and thinking he was doing. Standing still on his 6 yard box rather than coming out for the ball and left a huge gap for Dykes to chip it into.

Second half we were incredibly lucky that Queens missed numerous chances. Dobbie, Dykes and in particular Murray all missed fairly easy chances and if we had been 5 or 6 down it would’ve been fair enough. For Connor Murray’s chance Thomson was again at fault for half coming off his line then stopping. Third goal was yet more shite goalkeeping thought first he could’ve came and got the ball but the header went right through him.

We got a couple of goals back through good play from Dunne then fair enough conceded the 4th as we pushed on for the equaliser that was fair enough.

Until we scored the goals though that second half performance was an embarrassment. Dunne was the only one showing for the ball and attempting to do anything with it. Loy and Miller fair enough weren’t great but also they didn’t have great service, McKee hiding again, Balatoni comfortably his worst game for us, Tony Gallacher absolutely pish yet again he is nowhere near good enough, Austin was shite, Hippo non existent on the right, Craigen invisible and of course Robbie Thomson being dreadful. Hope to f**k we can get a new ‘keeper in for the game next week.

So 8-2 on aggregate against Queens this season and that’s with the 4-2 today really flattering us. We just need to hope we’re not cut adrift along with Brechin before we can hopefully get a few of these dreadful players punted elsewhere in January.

Don’t get too down - it’s actually 8-3 on aggregate not 8-2.

5 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Emergency goalie needed imho, Thomson gives me the fear.

Injuries certainly aren't helping I must admit. Always going to be up against it when your starting keeper, best centre half and best tackler in the midfield are all out injured and you've also got sibbald to add to that.  No excuse for getting pumped though.

12 minutes ago, Russ said:

Well. That was shite.

Perfect summary of the game. We should have been out of sight before Falkirk scored but when they scored their second it really was squeky bum time. Nevertheless happy with the overall performance.

Strange but very enjoyable game that.  We found ourselves 2-0 up when we didn't really deserve to be thanks to textbook hilarity from the Falkirk backline.  By the time it was 3-0 though it really should have been more.  For it to go 3-2 was just typical Queens, and when Jacobs kicked off after the second goal went in and just punted the ball straight out the park rather than keep hold of it, I really feared the worst as we looked rattled and lacking in leadership.  Step forward Stephen Dobbie.  First he blocked a lost cause of a ball which got the nervous fans fired up, then he decides "f**k this, we're not throwing this away" and skins 2 or 3 players before playing in Lyle who was never going to miss.

This was my first game since the Morton defeat and I was glad to see a vastly improved Alan Martin from that day.  He looks trimmer and considerably more mobile.  His kicking was assured and he had a couple of very good saves.  Brownlie and Kerr were commanding in the air all afternoon, and never looked overly troubled by Austin, Loy or Miller.  He had a few nervy moments but I would certainly give Mercer pass marks given it was his first start in so long.  He certainly doesn't deserve the "worst player to ever play for us" tag that some people appear to have assigned him.  Fordyce was a strong candidate for MotM.  His lack of attacking ability doesn't matter as much when he has a wide man in front of him, and he stepped in seamlessly at left-back in what was a crucial stage of the game.  Rankin and Jacobs did what Rankin and Jacobs do.  Murray had a very good game aside from his glaring miss when clear through.  He was right to go for goal himself, but I thought he had time to take a touch.  He didn't let it get to him though and kept plugging away.  He has the right mix of talent and a good attitude that will hopefully seem him continue to improve.  It was my first time seeing McFadden start for us, and if that is what he brings to the team then he is definitely an asset worth having.  He doesn't work overly hard to get involved in the play, but when he does he is very good.  His flick for Dyke's goal was brilliant, and he had some lovely interplay.  I don't think fitness is an issue, it must be his style of play because he looked knackered from the first minute.  Dykes probably had his best game for us, certainly that I've seen, and would have been my MotM.  His work rate was top notch and he's learning how to use his physicality in a positive way.  He's obviously been learning from Dobbie and Lyle in training, that ball through for Murray's chance was worth the entry alone.  It was a very well taken goal he scored as well.  His work rate has brushed off on Dobbie as well, I don't think I have ever seen him run as much as he did today.

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Strange but very enjoyable game that.  We found ourselves 2-0 up when we didn't really deserve to be thanks to textbook hilarity from the Falkirk backline.  By the time it was 3-0 though it really should have been more.  For it to go 3-2 was just typical Queens, and when Jacobs kicked off after the second goal went in and just punted the ball straight out the park rather than keep hold of it, I really feared the worst as we looked rattled and lacking in leadership.  Step forward Stephen Dobbie.  First he blocked a lost cause of a ball which got the nervous fans fired up, then he decides "f**k this, we're not throwing this away" and skins 2 or 3 players before playing in Lyle who was never going to miss.

This was my first game since the Morton defeat and I was glad to see a vastly improved Alan Martin from that day.  He looks trimmer and considerably more mobile.  His kicking was assured and he had a couple of very good saves.  Brownlie and Kerr were commanding in the air all afternoon, and never looked overly troubled by Austin, Loy or Miller.  He had a few nervy moments but I would certainly give Mercer pass marks given it was his first start in so long.  He certainly doesn't deserve the "worst player to ever play for us" tag that some people appear to have assigned him.  Fordyce was a strong candidate for MotM.  His lack of attacking ability doesn't matter as much when he has a wide man in front of him, and he stepped in seamlessly at left-back in what was a crucial stage of the game.  Rankin and Jacobs did what Rankin and Jacobs do.  Murray had a very good game aside from his glaring miss when clear through.  He was right to go for goal himself, but I thought he had time to take a touch.  He didn't let it get to him though and kept plugging away.  He has the right mix of talent and a good attitude that will hopefully seem him continue to improve.  It was my first time seeing McFadden start for us, and if that is what he brings to the team then he is definitely an asset worth having.  He doesn't work overly hard to get involved in the play, but when he does he is very good.  His flick for Dyke's goal was brilliant, and he had some lovely interplay.  I don't think fitness is an issue, it must be his style of play because he looked knackered from the first minute.  Dykes probably had his best game for us, certainly that I've seen, and would have been my MotM.  His work rate was top notch and he's learning how to use his physicality in a positive way.  He's obviously been learning from Dobbie and Lyle in training, that ball through for Murray's chance was worth the entry alone.  It was a very well taken goal he scored as well.  His work rate has brushed off on Dobbie as well, I don't think I have ever seen him run as much as he did today.

Agree with all of that.

It was nice to see Mercer having a decent enough game.  We were the better side for most of it, although suddenly being 2-0 up when it happened, was odd.  

Even when it went to 3-1 though, we suddenly got panicky, completely surrendering possession and inviting them in close.  It drives me mad and at 3-2, I completely feared the worst.

Today's performance was certainly a good one, but there's something alarmingly brittle about us when put under pressure.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

The first goal was all down to Conrad Balatoni his back pass was terrible far too short and tbf to him Thomson was unlucky that the deflection fell back to Dobbie and he tapped it in.

It was a poor back pass but if Thomson had gone for it without hesitating he would have easily got there first. Dobbie isnt quick. I would say that goal was 50/50 down to Balatoni and Thomson.

Otherwise though your summary was spot on. We were flattered by the half time lead. Nothing in the game but for Keystone Cops defending. Second half we were excellent and should have been 5 or 6 up before almost blowing it late on. Would have been a travesty if we hadnt won by at least two though.

I think I'd have given up on football if we somehow managed to blow a 3 goal lead with 5 minutes to go.

Ignoring the late arse collapse, I thought we played very well, how much of that once again is down to Falkirk being a bunch of huddies is up for debate. The first goal is just dreadful by Balatoni and Thomson got a bit unlucky that it didn't bounce out but Dobbie's was very sharp to realise the pass was short and probably the fastest he's moved  in the entirety of his spell. For most of the first half Falkirk were  better than the previous game (Not a high bar) and if Martin didn't make that brilliant stop or Austin had grown a couple of inches, it could have been a different story second half

Lyndon Dykes has been very good for the past few weeks without scoring so whilst he's fortunate with Robbie Thomson being useless but he did very well with the lob from such an angle. McGhee and Balatoni could not handle him at all as he gave them hell all afternoon, hopefully he can keep playing with this energy and keep proving the doubters wrong,  all you can ask for is to keep improving and he is night and day compared to what he was like last season and in the summer.  He just links off Dobbie so well with probably the best football off the match coming from whenever they get on the ball.

Mercer held up ok, he's definitely not cut out for this level but he did enough, McFadden put in a good shift as well with some lovely touches on the ball. The back four on the whole did very well as Falkirk for the most part of the second half did very little of note. Jason Kerr was comfortably the best Kerr on the park and Brownlie actually did something at a corner other than climb on someone.

I thought subbing Hyppolyte was a strange call, he was causing Mercer and McFadden some trouble especially as it opened up Muirhead who actually put in some cracking crosses for once ,  Loy and Miller were fairly quiet for the most part but the fact we were playing with makeshift defence made the late period extra nervy. Martin was largely good (I'm saying it's the Green top making all the difference) but he'd probably like to have that first freekick back.

Whilst it's probably the most favourable 4 games you'll get this season, we have played well in each one and whilst it's not the greatest side ever assembled there is some resilience there, if Mercer is out as well we could be even further stretched for numbers especially when we still have busier periods in the season to come.

I actually think falkirk were the better in the first half, apart from 2 absolute shockers. One of them probably the worst mistakes I’ve seen from a falkirk player.

Second half queens were well on top, total heads down from falkirk until McKee scored. Queens are 100 times better organised than falkirk. Cieran Dunne was the only player who looked like doing anything, he was superb, Thomson and Gallagher are absolutely shite.

I was also very surprised and relieved not to see Hippolyte come out for the second half.  He was far and away Falkirk's biggest threat.  The double-sub clearly didn't have the desired effect either as I was expecting a cavalry charge but instead we dominated for 35/40 minutes.

Falkirk won't go down, they have good players who all just look a bit disjointed at the minute.  They aren't playing as a team and there are obviously confidence issues, especially at the back.  Given their run of clean sheets it was a pleasant surprise to have those two goals gift wrapped, especially as we were second best up until that point.

Archived