St Mirren v Morton

St Mirren have been employing rugby tactics at our set pieces for a year now. Glad they finally got penalised.

That was a superb half of football. Not many teams will be able to handle St Mirren this season when they get going. The speed of them on the counter attack is ridiculous.

Harkins and Murdoch did a decent job in the midfield and Tiffoney was impressive for his inexperience. I can't get my head around Duffy not playing that formation every week.

All in all a point a fair result. Disappointed at how we conceded the first goal but a great recovery for both

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Big Ger Cafferty said:

The Patter Bar has been open for almost 30 minutes now, fantastic atmosphere this morning,  general consensus is St Mirren 3 Morton 0 

Is it aye. How did that go for the patter bar mutants.

Up until the penalty that was a brutal second half. Just constant throw ins and punts. After that a great game to watch. Some hit for the first Morton goal and great play from Smith for Reilly’s.

Cammy Smith was the best player on the park. Harkins was surprisingly good in what looked like a defensive midfield role. I thought Morton could have had a penalty at near enough every corner they had. We aren’t smart enough to get away with holding and shirt pulling. Buchanan demonstrated that perfectly today.

Morton probably deserved their point in the end, but to be in front twice and not see it out is frustrating.

Reilly's chance to make it 3-1 was a big moment. If that goes in we run out comfortable winners, but it sneaks past the post and Morton go up the park, get a couple of corners then Buchanan stupidly gives away a penalty.

Had to smile at Gary Harkins, lifelong Celtic fan who's played for about 10 clubs, kissing the badge after scoring.

MacLean was poor throughout, but I thought he got all the big decisions right.

Thought it was a good game. Reckoned beforehand it would be a draw and that was probably about right in the end. Disappointing after being ahead twice.

First goal was a clear foul, not sure if it was in the box though. Nice to see us score a penalty for a change.

Tremendous hit for Morton's first equaliser, although the header out from whichever defender was really poor.

Great finish from Reilly for the second but he should have buried the one moments later. If he had it was game over but you just knew it was going to cost us.

It was blatantly obvious a foul was coming at Morton's corner given the ref spoke to players from both teams, was just a question of which way it was going. Had to be Harkins that scored it, although was funny seeing him cause chaos in his own box every time he tried to defend in the first half. His pass to no one was also a thing of beauty.

Have to question why Reilly would dive in that position but he didn't complain too much when he got booked. Seemingly Ross and Duffy both think it was a penalty though.

We were three points clear at the end of the first quarter and after drawing two tricky games we're still two clear so can't complain too much about that. Must be our longest winless league run for months!

Draw was a fair result in the end up. 1st half was a non event and nothing really happened of note. Jai looked to be carrying an injury and it wasn't a surprise that he went off.

Murdoch scored a belter and I was glad when Harkins claimed the ball off O'Ware for the penalty as I just knew he would put it away.

Thought Harkins had a good game in midfield.  Lamie was our best defender. Oliver and McHugh linked up well in the 2nd half also.  

Good entertaining 2nd half and quite happy with the draw

20 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I thought Morton could have had a penalty at near enough every corner they had. We aren’t smart enough to get away with holding and shirt pulling. Buchanan demonstrated that perfectly today.

Aye, we could easily have had a couple of penalties at 0-0 as well - one a clear foul and one debatable, both of which would definitely have been freekicks had an attacker done it to a defender - but they're exactly the kind of fouls that referees are desperate to ignore and I'm not going to claim an injustice when I see O'Ware and Lamie get away with it every other week as well, for all that we were the ones who suffered for it today. The only way he was giving one was if it absolutely blatant, and Buchanan was daft enough to go that far.

First half was dire and filled with fairly uninspiring football, second half was very good entertaining with both sides playing as if it was a game of FIFA. Thought Harkins played well for us - good penalty and was a key presence in midfield. Quitongo struggled a bit. Heard a few people saying it seemed like he was nursing an injury and they marked him out of the game comfortably. Not a bad result overall - will happily take that against a side currently top of the league, although I struggle to see them staying there long-term.

Just now, TonMan said:

First half was dire and filled with fairly uninspiring football, second half was very good entertaining with both sides playing as if it was a game of FIFA. Thought Harkins played well for us - good penalty and was a key presence in midfield. Quitongo struggled a bit. Heard a few people saying it seemed like he was nursing an injury and they marked him out of the game comfortably. Not a bad result overall - will happily take that against a side currently top of the league, although I struggle to see them staying there long-term.

Quitongo certainly pulled on his hamstring a few minutes in. Whether it was preexisting or not, I don't know. 

The number of times Harkins won the ball in midfield, especially in the first hour, surprised me a fair bit. He put in a shift. Definitely died away and had some dire moments, but could be doing with performances like that from him.

Oliver was outstanding today btw. Probably our best player on there.

Just now, Randy Giles said:

The number of times Harkins won the ball in midfield, especially in the first hour, surprised me a fair bit. He put in a shift. Definitely died away and had some dire moments, but could be doing with performances like that from him.

Oliver was outstanding today btw. Probably our best player on there.

Aye, was a key presence in there. As active as I've seen him in midfield and was a real handful for St Mirren to deal with. Penalty was well-taken too.

A draw was probably the correct result. 4 goals in the second half, 2 penalties sounds like a good game but I thought it was poor. What on earth was Buchanan playing at for their penalty? Where was Sutton?
Why were the Morton fans singing sevco songs?
Will Morton EVER play in the top division again?

I've been left with more questions than answers

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Funny how you can view a game differently. I thought Harkins was poor, constantly gave the ball away, and allowed Smith time to turn.

I think both views are accurate in a sense. He did win the ball quite a few times and was constantly in the game, playing some decent passes as well. He also was caught the wrong side of his man too often and have the ball away too much. Bit of a patchy performance, but he at least got involved and put in a really decent shift. 

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:57, Demented Zebra said:

Revenge is sweeter than sugar bring it on. Mind the gap Morton fans dont want you falling down before you get to the game. 

Have another slice of Humble Pie you demented four-legged freak.

Archived