St Mirren v Morton

No one takes delight in criticising their club or employees of it. They do it because they feel it's necessary, precisely because they care about the club and want it to succeed.

Why would anyone have been happy at the end of last season? Should we have been celebrating the total capitulation that saw us end the season on a run of 11 games without a win and achieve nothing?

People criticised at the start of last season because results were terrible and criticism was merited. Then results improved and the criticism stopped, then a massive amount of praise was given, because results meant praise was merited. Then results deteriorated again,  so the praise stopped. This season we've not been playing well, as you acknowledge, and results have been poor, so the criticism has started again.

This is all an entirely reasonable reaction to results. This is how it's supposed to work. It genuinely is this simple:

Football team plays well - football fans praise team

Football team plays badly - football fans criticise team

Why does anyone struggle to understand this?

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

No one takes delight in criticising their club or employees of it. They do it because they feel it's necessary, precisely because they care about the club and want it to succeed.

Why would anyone have been happy at the end of last season? Should we have been celebrating the total capitulation that saw us end the season on a run of 11 games without a win and achieve nothing?

People criticised at the start of last season because results were terrible and criticism was merited. Then results improved and the criticism stopped, then a massive amount of praise was given, because results meant praise was merited. Then results deteriorated again,  so the praise stopped. This season we've not been playing well, as you acknowledge, and results have been poor, so the criticism has started again.

This is all an entirely reasonable reaction to results. This is how it's supposed to work. It genuinely is this simple:

Football team plays well - football fans praise team

Football team plays badly - football fans criticise team

Why does anyone struggle to understand this?

Had Morton been offered a league cup semi-final, a Scottish cup fifth-round tie with sevco at stybrox and finishing 4th in the league before a ball had been kicked. I doubt many Morton fans would have refused it and would have regarded it a good season. Morton achieved this despite the boo boys. 

Every player, including Quitongo, came under fire at some point during the season. The idea of supporting your team is to encourage them to do well/better, not to fight with them! 

I, 4-1, am not pessimistic about the outcome of this match. In saying that, I feel it'll be a closer affair than the match at Cappielow and my prediction reflects that.
skunks 1 v 3 Morton

Will we see any of your mob in our locals pre game? Usually see some morton colours in the Bankhouse and Spoons.

According to an email my father received today when wondering if he could pick up a ticket from Smiths tomorrow morning they said they do expect to sell out their allocation and he was advised to buy a ticket from 1:30 up the road. Wonder how much they actually received?!

I keep thinking Harkins is going to run riot like a certain Dougie Imrie did a few years back but then again I have said the word 'run'..

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Scoring record in the Championship so far: Morgan 5, Smith 5, Reilly  4 and Quitongo 2 (the same number of goals as McShane). If I was a Morton fan I would be more concerned about that statistic.

Quitongo scored 0 goals against you lot at Cappielow and was still single handedly responsible for swording you 4-1. 

36 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

I keep thinking Harkins is going to run riot like a certain Dougie Imrie did a few years back but then again I have said the word 'run'..

'Harkins waddles riot!' would be a confusing headline for the non-English speaker. 

Reasons to be positive as far as I can see: Duffy might put Quitongo through the middle again rather than wasting him out wide, St Mirren still don't have a full strength defence, and the fact we won 4-1 at Cappielow despite having a similar lack of confidence in the build up to that one, primarily due to Quitongo running riot and Jack Baird not being able to cope with him.

It's hard to see how we can possibly win a midfield battle looking at the respective personnel, but the usual hoofs bypassing the midfield could work if they're being placed behind a high St Mirren line for Jai to chase, rather than planted directly on the heads of centre backs like our approach to the last three games.

A big match for the Buddies today. A good test for them in front of a big crowd. 

Two tough away games recently but two "defensively excellent" displays according to Craig Samson (https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/28/the-whole-team-in-the-last-two-games-have-been-defensively-excellent-craig-samson/) has helped them gain 4 valuable points. 

Morton are a threat and can get a result today if their top performers, such as Jai Quitongo, are on top of their game. 

An intriguing contest which I'll be keeping close tabs on while up in Inverness. 

Quitongo running at or running in behind our defence gives me the fear. I know we have the players to hurt Morton at the other end but we have struggled to defend against the likes of Austin and Quitongo.

Hopefully we have too much fire power at the other end, Morgan has had a quiet few games by his standards so hopefully he puts on a show for the Nottingham Forrest blazer attending today. Smith has been just as good imo, he's now added goals to his game. If one of either have a good game we do ok, if both are on fire we are unstoppable most of the time.

Archived