Alloa Athletic v East Fife

Goals change games at 1 nil we were in complete control Alloa looked like a team way short on confidence and couldn't pass the ball 3 yards. Enter the East Fife goalkeeper who drops a nothing cross to an Alloa players foot and from that monumental blunder the game turns on its head. Alloas 2nd goal is an even bigger cock up from our keeper letting a powder puff free kick from 40 yards go past him. Alloa must have thought all their birthdays had come at once. This totally deflated the team and the good travelling support and gave Alloa a huge boost. Alloa played well 2nd half but if the keeper doesn't make those massive blunders it would have been a different game. It is so frustrating to gift goals like this as the opposition aren't having to do anything to score. Alloa never once got in behind us first half or had a shot of note yet find themselves leading. If Ryan Goodfellow doesn't start next week he should be one disappointed goalkeeper.

Wilkie scores a peach of a goal as Alloa struggled to shut him down and settle in with a new formation. The game then descends into a shit feast two mistakes by the EastFife keeper at crucial times completely changes the game in a utterly forgettable first half.

As people know goals change games Alloa have tails up EastFife looking shaken third and fourth goal come alone Alloa look in control passing ball and pressing the opponent something we have failed to do most of the season. East Fife look like they were out cold and lacked confidence and created nothing. Still concerning the amount of back tracking Flanny is having to do does not suit his game. PJ looks like he’s starting to gain in confidence and personal feel he could be pivotal to Alloa kicking on for rest of season.

Much better today but wont get carried away so far, no failures over the park.

Wilkies goal comes from nowhere really, never in the game until that point, fleming could maybe close it down & think parry has to save it.

We were in total control of the game other than that & feel east fife offered very little.

A result that was as welcome as it was unexpected. We looked to be heading for another sorry afternoon when the East Fife keeper helped us back into it. We've benefited from a few goalkeeping howlers recently, and we had at least a couple more today. Our 2-1 half time lead was as unlikely as any I'd witnessed in a while.

We took advantage of that by putting in a good second half performance, Flannigan's free kick was a peach. It would be naive to think that this was some kind of corner turning performance, but the players stuck to it well given the makeshift line-up.

Maybe a bit harsh to blame the keeper for the 2nd when it came all the way through to Malcolm a few yards out. If he had connected rather than taking a fresh air swipe  (not blaming him, it was going at speed) then nobody blames the keeper. His defence could have helped him more there. The first one absolutely his fault though, and if the third was onside then it was horrific defending. We didn't have to do much at all to get those 3 goals.  4th was a terrific free kick.

Delighted to win but I did think it was a rather strange team (albeit with injuries leaving things a bit difficult for the manager) and that we carried an awful lot of luck. East Fife were generally surprisingly shite, above and beyond their shocking defending. Think Jim is overcooking it a bit in his post match interview, but obviously a relief for him. He has been saying that we haven't been getting the breaks and that we needed a win to get going. He got all of that today so hopefully we can build on it. I'm not convinced about Fleming in DM and I'd hope the manager doesn't follow through with the suggestion that he'll stick with the makeshift defence, but if he keeps winning then fair enough. 

Thought Crossan and Kev Cawley were best for us today, although there were a number of good performances. 

Maybe a bit harsh to blame the keeper for the 2nd when it came all the way through to Malcolm a few yards out. If he had connected rather than taking a fresh air swipe  (not blaming him, it was going at speed) then nobody blames the keeper. His defence could have helped him more there. The first one absolutely his fault though, and if the third was onside then it was horrific defending. We didn't have to do much at all to get those 3 goals.  4th was a terrific free kick.
Delighted to win but I did think it was a rather strange team (albeit with injuries leaving things a bit difficult for the manager) and that we carried an awful lot of luck. East Fife were generally surprisingly shite, above and beyond their shocking defending. Think Jim is overcooking it a bit in his post match interview, but obviously a relief for him. He has been saying that we haven't been getting the breaks and that we needed a win to get going. He got all of that today so hopefully we can build on it. I'm not convinced about Fleming in DM and I'd hope the manager doesn't follow through with the suggestion that he'll stick with the makeshift defence, but if he keeps winning then fair enough. 
Thought Crossan and Kev Cawley were best for us today, although there were a number of good performances. 

What was the defence, Waspie?

The minute we conceded the second from yet another howler, the game was over. Having missed the game last week, I was fully looking forward to the amazing fighting qualities displayed in the last 15 mins against AR. Sorry, but we were powder puff the whole second period! From a position of dominance in the first half, up to howler 2, I felt we had the game under control. Arbroath and RR next 2 games, gulp!!!

Robertson, Graham, Taggart, Crane.
East Fife didn't offer much threat, but the defence did well.

Cheers. Odd decision to pull Robbo out of midfield. I'm sure he was more than adequate at right back, but a big loss in midfield I'd have thought.

Avoidable errors again to blame for not going into the break a couple of goals to the good. The second half performance was simply not good enough against a more determined side.

Had to laugh at the man of the match selection from the sponsors though. Flannigan put in a  terrific shift for Alloa, great workrate throughout.

Plaudits to young Jordan Piggott, great senior debut from the lad. 

Tough game next week against an Arbroath side scoring goals for fun.

Keep the faith guys... 

An odd game where thankfully we got our tails up with some poor opposition defending and produced a good second half showing. Undoubtedly deserved the win, but 4 1 flattered us a bit.

Taking into account how makeshift we were at the back and the result was very welcome. Goodwin named himself on the bench but apparently he was also carrying a knock. Robertson I thought was excellent at right back, Flannigan running the show at times in midfield while Cawley/Crossan always causing problems.

We did get a couple of gifts. I thought the Andy Graham goal looked level at the time, but be interesting to see that one again. There was certainly a lot of protest from the East Fife backline with Sparky booked for his part in it.

Still disjointed at times but I thought it was understandable. Despite clearly not a long term solution I thought Fleming was OK in an alien position- did the simple things right- few understandable errors but made sure he was protecting the back 4.

Annoyed me a bit folk moaning to get the ball forward quicker when we were keeping possession in the second half. We were struggling a bit at times in terms of movement but we were retaining the ball confidently- an improvement from some recent games.

We haven't suddenly become world beaters after that- certainly still a lot of room for improvement- but a vital result and a real chance to keep it going next week vs QP.

On 22/10/2017 at 10:27, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

An odd game where thankfully we got our tails up with some poor opposition defending and produced a good second half showing. Undoubtedly deserved the win, but 4 1 flattered us a bit.

Taking into account how makeshift we were at the back and the result was very welcome. Goodwin named himself on the bench but apparently he was also carrying a knock. Robertson I thought was excellent at right back, Flannigan running the show at times in midfield while Cawley/Crossan always causing problems.

We did get a couple of gifts. I thought the Andy Graham goal looked level at the time, but be interesting to see that one again. There was certainly a lot of protest from the East Fife backline with Sparky booked for his part in it.

Still disjointed at times but I thought it was understandable. Despite clearly not a long term solution I thought Fleming was OK in an alien position- did the simple things right- few understandable errors but made sure he was protecting the back 4.

Annoyed me a bit folk moaning to get the ball forward quicker when we were keeping possession in the second half. We were struggling a bit at times in terms of movement but we were retaining the ball confidently- an improvement from some recent games.

We haven't suddenly become world beaters after that- certainly still a lot of room for improvement- but a vital result and a real chance to keep it going next week vs QP.

Whereabouts was he playing? Livescore had him out wide

22 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Fairly deep centre mid in front of the back 4

Cheers. Stevie Aitken tried that with us at the beginning of last season, and most of us thought it would work. He'd played there briefly under Ian Murray and had always looked quite good, if a bit ill-disciplined at times. Unfortunately last summer wasn't good for him, and he simply didn't have the mobility to get about the central midfield - in what was a total car-crash of a team.

9 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Cheers. Stevie Aitken tried that with us at the beginning of last season, and most of us thought it would work. He'd played there briefly under Ian Murray and had always looked quite good, if a bit ill-disciplined at times. Unfortunately last summer wasn't good for him, and he simply didn't have the mobility to get about the central midfield - in what was a total car-crash of a team.

We've used him in more of a midfield role so far with similar problems- he has struggled to get around the pitch and it's asking too much of him. On Saturday for much of the game (particularly when we were ahead) he was able to protect, then sit and play with his head up. He wasn't glorious, but in an emergency I thought he did fine.

Archived