Smacking Ban

Is there a thread on this that I've missed? Has it been covered in the Parenting thread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41678797

Not sure how I feel about this. Don't want kiddies getting battered, but I don't like the state getting involved in people smacking their kids as a last resort. I would imagine most folk with stairs use the naughty step, but smacking is the nuclear option.

I'm not surprised that it's the Greens pushing this. They are a more radical party which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the subject and your thoughts on it.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

Hitting children = bad

People who hit children under guise of administering discipline in order to compensate for their failure as a parent = bad

Not sure where the moral quandary lies tbqh.

You've not got any though, have you? They drive you mental.

Hitting children = bad
People who hit children under guise of administering discipline in order to compensate for their failure as a parent = bad
Not sure where the moral quandary lies tbqh.

How many kids do you have?

Late to the party since its banned almost everywhere else.   Parent and Teacher physical abuse is obviously wrong, I absolutely don't care about your libertarian views or parental rights. 

Well done, Greens, Labour and SNP. 

2 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

Late to the party since its banned almost everywhere else.   Parent and Teacher physical abuse is obviously wrong, I absolutely don't care about your libertarian views or parental rights. 

They should have banned the smacking of children but allowed the smacking of cyclists while they were at it.

I saw it was banned in 52 countries. I see it's not banned in the likes of USA or Australia, but is banned in the likes of South Sudan, DR Congo and also Spain (although Catalans are obvs fair game).

As with most radical plans, best not to rail against it and wait and see if any positives come from the ban. Obviously it'll take some time, possibly a generation, to see those results.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I saw it was banned in 52 countries. I see it's not banned in the likes of USA or Australia, but is banned in the likes of South Sudan, DR Congo and also Spain (although Catalans are obvs fair game).

As with most radical plans, best not to rail against it and wait and see if any positives come from the ban. Obviously it'll take some time, possibly a generation, to see those results.

Lets keep things local.   What countries in Europe allow and ban it.   I appreciate your lust to cherry pick, but we're not allowing it.