Smacking Ban

19 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Are you looking for a definition of assault? The change in the law - and the subject matter of this thread - is that the statutory defence of reasonable punishment is being abolished. If what you're doing isn't assault in the first place then you've nothing to worry about.

Or are you asking if smacking is assault?  It is. 

I can't give you an answer as to whether your bizarre tapping thing (three fingers, no palm, propelled by gravity etc.) would be considered an assault. From your description I suspect not but then your description sounds like bollocks.

Does that answer your question?

That answers a little bit of my question. Thanks

Did not go to military school.
Mom had a pretty bad temper, but was generally a great mom.
My dad was always even keel. He would usually read us stuff from the Bible or from famous figures about the value of discipline before he spanked us.
One time my sister jumped out of a closet to try and push me down the steps to our basement. I caught myself on the door, but made a split second decision to let go and fall down the steps. I knew she'd get spanked. Listened and laughed from down the hall as it happened.:lol:

Have you been to Band Camp?

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I used to love these types of girls when I was a youngster.

Good memories brought back lads, cheers*

*i have a 6 month old daughter myself though now so no doubt somewhere around the year 2033 I’ll be regretting this comment:

I certainly hope so. Although I won't be around to gloat.

I feel slightly sorry for her own youngsters - there's no lie they can tell, story they can concoct, excuse they can make, stroke they can pull that she won't be able to see through, having been there and done that, and act accordingly.

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I used to love these types of girls when I was a youngster.

Good memories brought back lads, cheers*

*i have a 6 month old daughter myself though now so no doubt somewhere around the year 2033 I’ll be regretting this comment:

Jacksgranda will be gentle with her.

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I feel slightly sorry for her own youngsters - there's no lie they can tell, story they can concoct, excuse they can make, stroke they can pull that she won't be able to see through, having been there and done that, and act accordingly.

It's the opposite, it worries you more because you've a fairly accurate idea of what's going on, doesn't mean you can stop it.

7 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I was spanked in elementary school. They happened on Friday after school. You got to sign the paddle the next Monday. I had to repeat any school punishment at home. I usually preferred a spanking to a long detention once I'd reached a certain amount of demerits in a week. Would usually try and do something extra to earn the spanking.

One time I put gum in my little sisters hair right as we were leaving for her kindergarten school talent show for all the parents. I was fairly certain my mother was going to murder me with the paddle, so I moved out of the way. She was swinging so hard that it broke on the toilet which I had been holding onto.

I'm pitching this plot to Viz. An delusional boy from a shite town in Scotland thinks he is being brought up in the USA. Follow his misadventures as he gets the shite kicked out of him on a daily basis by his more realistic, ned contemporaries. He gets his revenge by poisoning their "chinkies" or shooting them.

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm pitching this plot to Viz. An delusional boy from a shite town in Scotland thinks he is being brought up in the USA. Follow his misadventures as he gets the shite kicked out of him on a daily basis by his more realistic, ned contemporaries. He gets his revenge by poisoning their "chinkies" or shooting them.

That's brilliant but I'm not sure the Viz would take such an outlandish idea.

Some thread this, TCK using his university of life degree to decry those damn 'experts', people in their 50s and 60s whose generation went in a family holiday a year and bought their house for £4.72 and three fingers of a four finger twix accusing "millennials" (a lot of whom won't own a house until their parents both die and pass it to them, and who'll likely have to work until the day they themselves die) of being entitled, and banana and swampy going baws flapping oot in the batshit mental stakes, and that's before we even get to the actual subject matter. Some thread.

We don't have kids yet, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever smack a child or use any capacity of violence as a disciplinary measure. Obviously can't say for definite until you're in that situation, but I just don't see it.

Some thread this, TCK using his university of life degree to decry those damn 'experts', people in their 50s and 60s whose generation went in a family holiday a year and bought their house for £4.72 and three fingers of a four finger twix accusing "millennials" (a lot of whom won't own a house until their parents both die and pass it to them, and who'll likely have to work until the day they themselves die) of being entitled, and banana and swampy going baws flapping oot in the batshit mental stakes, and that's before we even get to the actual subject matter. Some thread.

We don't have kids yet, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever smack a child or use any capacity of violence as a disciplinary measure. Obviously can't say for definite until you're in that situation, but I just don't see it.

Here's a real life scenario. Those late lie-ins you're used to are a thing of the past. Your kids are tag-teaming you through the night to the extent you are lucky if you've had more than 2 hours unbroken sleep in a night. This goes on for 3 weeks. Changing pished sheets at 3am and/or mopping up sick at a similar fun hour. Your nerves are shredded but you get to go to work and deal with all the shite that encompasses, then go home and look after kids before facing this endurance test.

Then they won't do as you say, and you try to reason with them, then you try to be firm, then you threaten them with the naughty step, then you keep putting them back on the naughty step when they get up and wander off. Then you snap. It gets easier as they get older but the first few years of parenting are hard work. Smacking is not the answer but it happens sometimes.

Frankly, some of the punters on here seem to live in a vacuum where real life doesn't exist. They also like to pontificate to show what absolutely cracking, model citizens they are, despite the fact that many of them have zero experience of parenting. And then there are the sad sack trolls.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Here's a real life scenario. Those late lie-ins you're used to are a thing of the past. Your kids are tag-teaming you through the night to the extent you are lucky if you've had more than 2 hours unbroken sleep in a night. This goes on for 3 weeks. Changing pished sheets at 3am and/or mopping up sick at a similar fun hour. Your nerves are shredded but you get to go to work and deal with all the shite that encompasses, then go home and look after kids before facing this endurance test.

Then they won't do as you say, and you try to reason with them, then you try to be firm, then you threaten them with the naughty step, then you keep putting them back on the naughty step when they get up and wander off. Then you snap. It gets easier as they get older but the first few years of parenting are hard work. Smacking is not the answer but it happens sometimes.

Frankly, some of the punters on here seem to live in a vacuum where real life doesn't exist. They also like to pontificate to show what absolutely cracking, model citizens they are, despite the fact that many of them have zero experience of parenting. And then there are the sad sack trolls.

Go to the toilet before you go to bed. That'll solve one of those problems.

Otherwise, stop putting realistic situations on this topic. Stick with the hitting your grandparents and other such examples.

Go to the toilet before you go to bed. That'll solve one of those problems.
Otherwise, stop putting realistic situations on this topic. Stick with the hitting your grandparents and other such examples.

Good advice. Bedwetting can really get in the way of a good nights sleep.

Probably very similar for my wee one, neither me or her mum were shrinking violets so no doubt all of those things will come back to mind when she starts to go out at night and not come home.

11 hours ago, banana said:

AFAIK, the financial penalty can rise to a few thousand, with criminal record, and potential 3 month jail term. Refusal to pay the fine has been taken as far as the Supreme Court, and the parents lost. At which point they paid up. That's a fucking absurd  and scary series of events for having the temerity of judging whether it's ok to take your kids on holiday.

The point is the restrictions and punishments even being in place, taking responsibility / judgement of care for the child away from the family, and into the hands of the state by default.

The financial penalties and criminal charges you are talking about are penalties for non payment of fines issued by a legal authority, same as if you don't pay your parking ticket, fly tipping fine etc They are not specifically linked to the school absence issue.

When parents enrol a child in school (they don't have to) they are then legally responsible and obliged to ensure the child attends school. It's not a state imposition it's a contract.

The supreme court case ended up in the supreme court as the family took it there.

FWIW I think it's entirely sensible that local authorities have the the power to refer non payment of fines to a criminal court in general but, as is the case in Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland, don't think it is suitable in this circumstance.

If it helps you sleep better at night since June 2016 I have taken my niece out of school for trips away on three occasions for a cumulative total of 7 days and not a word has been said.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

The siutation you’ve just described absolutely 100% should be illegal. Losing your temper, snapping and smacking a child is fucking despicable behaviour. How utterly devoid of any sort of parenting ability must you be to think that is any way acceptable? It’s genuinely the actions of a vile human being. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

The siutation you’ve just described absolutely 100% should be illegal. Losing your temper, snapping and smacking a child is fucking despicable behaviour. How utterly devoid of any sort of parenting ability must you be to think that is any way acceptable? It’s genuinely the actions of a vile human being. 

You forgot to get Diana in there, tabloid Jimmy.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Maybe you're just a better parent than the rest of us.