Smacking Ban

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Why do people keep asking stupid questions like this?

Because it's interesting to get an insight into the mindset of what people believe in terms of the context of hitting children and who/where is appropriate to do this.

You're a fucking brain donor though, so it's not surprising that you miss this pretty simple point.

Because it's interesting to get an insight into the mindset of what people believe in terms of the context of hitting children and who/where is appropriate to do this.
You're a fucking brain donor though, so it's not surprising that you miss this pretty simple point.

Interesting second paragraph considering the question you just asked.

How is that relevant? It's completely different. What are you expecting people to say? Yes???

7 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Well I wouldn't have liked teachers to lift their hands to my kids, unfortunately we're left with the fact that a large number of them don't actually know how to handle kids.

Edited by ayrmad

25 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Of those favouring smacking, do you believe schools should be able to hit kids as a form of punishment again?

What about apprentices ?? Are we allowed to at least smack f**k out the thick as mince ones 

39 minutes ago, JMDP said:

My parents never hit me once or my siblings.

Of those favouring smacking, do you believe schools should be able to hit kids as a form of punishment again?

Don't favour smacking, but on a related tangent schools are currently able to in effect hold families hostage via threat of fine and jail (state-imposed violence) for the heinous act of taking absences during term time, for example for holidays.

I'm open to the position that this is as or more disturbing and damaging an imposition overall than school corporal punishment ever was.

Edited by banana

22 minutes ago, banana said:

Don't favour smacking, but on a related tangent schools are currently able to in effect hold families hostage via threat of fine and jail (state-imposed violence) for the heinous act of taking absences during term time, for example for holidays.

I'm open to the position that this is as or more disturbing and damaging an imposition overall than school corporal punishment ever was.

You talk some shite

40 minutes ago, banana said:

Good luck with this. 

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Good lord.

Even before you get to the ludicrous conclusions no school or local authority in Scotland can impose fines for term time holiday absence.

In England local authorities can impose fines of £60, which can rise to £120.

Like a parking ticket or any other state sanctioned penalty non payment could conceivably end up in a summary prosecution and short prison sentence but it has never happened.

TBH 60 quid seems pretty good value for paying off peak holiday prices.

Edited by invergowrie arab

58 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

In England local authorities can impose fines of £60, which can rise to £120.

Like a parking ticket or any other state sanctioned penalty non payment could conceivably end up in a summary prosecution and short prison sentence but it has never happened.

TBH 60 quid seems pretty good value for paying off peak holiday prices.

AFAIK, the financial penalty can rise to a few thousand, with criminal record, and potential 3 month jail term. Refusal to pay the fine has been taken as far as the Supreme Court, and the parents lost. At which point they paid up. That's a fucking absurd  and scary series of events for having the temerity of judging whether it's ok to take your kids on holiday.

The point is the restrictions and punishments even being in place, taking responsibility / judgement of care for the child away from the family, and into the hands of the state by default.

I was spanked in elementary school. They happened on Friday after school. You got to sign the paddle the next Monday. I had to repeat any school punishment at home. I usually preferred a spanking to a long detention once I'd reached a certain amount of demerits in a week. Would usually try and do something extra to earn the spanking.

One time I put gum in my little sisters hair right as we were leaving for her kindergarten school talent show for all the parents. I was fairly certain my mother was going to murder me with the paddle, so I moved out of the way. She was swinging so hard that it broke on the toilet which I had been holding onto.

10 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I was spanked in elementary school. They happened on Friday after school. You got to sign the paddle the next Monday. I had to repeat any school punishment at home. I usually preferred a spanking to a long detention once I'd reached a certain amount of demerits in a week. Would usually try and do something extra to earn the spanking.

One time I put gum in my little sisters hair right as we were leaving for her kindergarten school talent show for all the parents. I was fairly certain my mother was going to murder me with the paddle, so I moved out of the way. She was swinging so hard that it broke on the toilet which I had been holding onto.

No shit?

17 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Thought you said you went to military school........

Did not go to military school.

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

No shit?

Mom had a pretty bad temper, but was generally a great mom.

My dad was always even keel. He would usually read us stuff from the Bible or from famous figures about the value of discipline before he spanked us.

One time my sister jumped out of a closet to try and push me down the steps to our basement. I caught myself on the door, but made a split second decision to let go and fall down the steps. I knew she'd get spanked. Listened and laughed from down the hall as it happened.:lol:

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

1 minute ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

My dad was always even keel. He would usually read us stuff from the Bible or from famous figures about the value of discipline before he spanked us.

One time my sister jumped out of a closet to try and push me down the steps to our basement. I caught myself on the door, but made a split second decision to let go and fall down the steps. I knew she'd get spanked. Listened and laughed from down the hall as it happened.:lol:

Did you ever finish the research project on Scots who have played abroad over the years?

2 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

:lol:

I can assure you a wee bit of thievery is very tame when a teenager goes off the rails and the experts are not so expert when it happens.

I don't think I knew the half of what one of my step daughters got up to, and I hope I never find out, either.

I had plenty of sleepless nights as I had a fair idea what was happening.

I think my wife had the sleepless nights, I just had to do taxi man at all hours. But at least then we knew she was home. It was far worse when she got a car of her own.

I used to love these types of girls when I was a youngster.

Good memories brought back lads, cheers*

*i have a 6 month old daughter myself though now so no doubt somewhere around the year 2033 I’ll be regretting this comment: