Smacking Ban

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Just the vibe I'm getting from your posts.

Those advocating hitting their kids are suggesting that there are sometimes no other options. I can see why that might be your conclusion if your other attempts include rewarding your children for stealing.

My kids are all over 24.

26 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I genuinely want an answer to this.  Ive been told in no uncertain terms a tap on the arse is and was always within the law. The old rules say your not allowed to hit a child enough to leave a mark.  I've been told that hitting is allowed but only up to assault.

Where is this arbitrary line between a tap and an assault? Is it subjective? 

Is this whole charade a pile of shite with no concrete rules?

Welcome to the common law system.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

It's a gentle throttle. Three fingers only, no pressure. More of a sustained cuddle. Round the neck.

If you're not using your thumb, it's not a throttle. Or else you're throttling a very small child.

13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Why don't you go away and research it if you're genuinely confused. If you want a shorthand  version just don't hit your kids. If your bizarre tapping thing isn't hitting then you're fine. If it is then stop.

I'll put you down as not being prepared to commit to where you think the law sits. That seems a bit odd as you we're very committed to me being one of the good guys when I was confused and you offered advice.  I really thought you had all the answers.

Now, seen as you've outed yourself as flapping your gums ( oh the irony) I'll let you be.

1 minute ago, McQuade said:

We were in a restaurant last night and I lost my temper and smacked my son on the back of the head for swearing, his wife pushed herself laughing.

Really? That's hard to picture, tbh.

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can tell you at least two things I won't be doing if I catch them stealing.

I can assure you a wee bit of thievery is very tame when a teenager goes off the rails and the experts are not so expert when it happens.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Some people a bit confused about where the line is and what they're still "allowed" to do, it's a little bit complicated but stick with me.

Here it is: Don't fucking hit your children.

That's a bit too legalistic, you're going to have to put it in plain English.