Smacking Ban

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf though, you clearly don't understand the subject matter. This thread is about a proposed change to the law on assault. It will affect the legality of what some parents do to their children but it's got nothing to do with what you profess to do. Tapping your children without force, without causing harm will remain lawful.

Clearly you didn't read my post this morning where I addressed that but feel free to carry on regardless.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Clearly you didn't read my post this morning where I addressed that but feel free to carry on regardless.

I must have missed in amongst the dozens of posts about tapping your kids. If the penny's finally dropped then that's a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Are we banning reasonable chastisement or is it just if it leaves a mark etc?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was the old law.

The new law is you're allowed to hit up to the point where it's an assault, if I'm reading this all correctly.

Edited by whiskychimp

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

My 22 month old granddaughter would just hurl it at you when she's in top form.

We've one like that, too. Although her elder brother is in a league of his own regarding throwing.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

The new law is you're allowed to hit up to the point where it's an assault, if I'm reading this all correctly.

I thought that was basically the case at present.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We've one like that, too. Although her elder brother is in a league of his own regarding throwing.

I've 3 adult kids and 3 grandkids, the 22 month old is by far the worst and requires 100% attention, I think my daughter is in for a seriously hard time.

I wouldn't change her, I like weans to have bags of character, the hard part is trying keep them safe without diluting that character too much.

Edited by ayrmad

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I've 3 adult kids and 3 grandkids, the 22 month old is by far the worst and requires 100% attention, I think my daughter is in for a seriously hard time.

I wouldn't change her, I like weans to have bags of character, the hard part is trying keep them safe without diluting that character too much.

We've 14, so we've had a wide range of characters. Surprisingly enough, the ones with the stroppiest parents as children were the most manageable!

I got smacked as a kid and it never bothered me. Equally I don't think physical violence should be used as a punishment, particularly against children and I can't really understand why someone would want to hit their own child. I completely support this ban.

*will review this when my kid is older and not the well behaved angel she is now*

In 15-20 years time will academics be telling us that raising your voice at at children is harmful to their development?

I think it was invergowrie Arab passed of some academic research as irrefutable fact that it’s damaging- but damaging in what way exactly? To what sort of development?

What some body of academics see as healthy development isn’t necessarily the gold standard of how a functioning adult should operate and what is best for society. It’s all relative.

Different societies have different approaches to raising children- there’s no society i am aware of that cracked the puzzle and got it perfect.

Smacking kids may lead to the development of one set of traits and not smacking might lead to another. Who is to say what traits are superior to others?