Smacking Ban

1 minute ago, The Equalizer said:

I thought it was just tongue in cheek tbh. Violence breeds violence, the abused becomes the abuser. I understand and agree with all that, there is evidence to support but there is a difference between being regularly buggered and getting a backhander when you have tested your parents patience to the limit. Incidentally if anyone told me my mother was a bad parent they'd be leaving with their teeth in their hands.

Living proof that violence breeds violence!  

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

BTW I find I would find it very difficult to argue that the aim of smacking isn't to cause an amount of pain. Pain was what made me want to avoid it, and if no pain is inflicted then the child is none the wiser it is being disciplined. Not buying that tbh.

Yeah, generally but when its younger kids its as much about the 'ritual' of smacking as it is about pain.

I've just recalled that a friend (who was an advocate so in theory not daft) who our kids were like brother and sister when they were wee couldn't get them to behave but I could. I had given them a 'skelp' when they were wee (probably about 6) and labelled it as 'uncle smack' and used 'uncle smack' to get them to behave. She flat out wouldn't hit the kids because she was 'uncomfortable' with it but was willing to turn a blind eye to me doing it. No children were harmed in the production of this story although 'uncle smack' worked for a long time after. 

Whatever you threaten your kids with, you need to back it up, unless its "I'm gonna feckin' klll you ".

This world is honestly going to the shitter. Kids are little shits and every now and then need disciplined when necessary. I'm not saying a parent should be giving their kids daily beatings but when warranted a smack on the arse is reasonable. In 100 years time people will look back laughing at the milennials and how pathetic we were with all this pc shit. People being offended for the sake of it. 

1 hour ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

This world is honestly going to the shitter. Kids are little shits and every now and then need disciplined when necessary. I'm not saying a parent should be giving their kids daily beatings but when warranted a smack on the arse is reasonable. In 100 years time people will look back laughing at the milennials and how pathetic we were with all this pc shit. People being offended for the sake of it. 

Calm down, Tommy Robinson. 

Would anyone be willing to hit a parent with dementia or an adult relative with severe learning difficulties? If for example they were causing a scene in a restaurant or away to touch a hot stove or had walked out of the house alone?

[emoji23] [emoji23]

Yes, I would kick them up and down the high street

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Would anyone be willing to hit a parent with dementia or an adult relative with severe learning difficulties? If for example they were causing a scene in a restaurant or away to touch a hot stove or had walked out of the house alone?

Are we just going to be ridiculous now.

An older person who does that is regressing they will never learn any new skills by the nature of their condition.

A child is progressing and learning. By smacking them then the hope is that they learn what the can and can’t do and it is beneficial to their overall development.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Well you talked originally about "a tap" and said it is now a criminal offence - it isnt.

A wallop is and quite right too.

If this is the case, I'm changing sides.  I don't smack my kid.

I detest all the abhorrent, bullying, violent, violence inducing, wallloping, harmful, whacking, slapping about, repulsive, vicious, uncontrolled, raging, child beating, pain inflicting, torturing child abusers.

Oh  Diana, the people's princess, think of the children.

Wow, thank goodness for that. I feel sooooo righteous. 

9 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Depends on your opinion. I'd say the tap has become a criminal offence because, to me, it is a smack. 

Tbf though, you clearly don't understand the subject matter. This thread is about a proposed change to the law on assault. It will affect the legality of what some parents do to their children but it's got nothing to do with what you profess to do. Tapping your children without force, without causing harm will remain lawful.