Smacking Ban

Just now, whiskychimp said:

Read back to see me explain, in depth, what the point is.

"Your skin isnt as soft....."  Dear lord, shes not made of filo pastry.

Your scenario was laughable, I was being gentle.

I have read it, and your "tap" is utterly pointless. Other than for her to fear the threat of your hand for when she does something bad.  

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Depends on your opinion. I'd say the tap has become a criminal offence because, to me, it is a smack. 

Where are you seeing that a "smack" has become a criminal offence?

It doesnt depend on your opinion it depends on well established case law.  If i tap you on the shoulder or punch you on the shoulder one is an assault and one is not .

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I have read it, and your "tap" is utterly pointless. Other than for her to fear the threat of your hand for when she does something bad.  

You read the wrong bit. Try again. An escalation of the telling off. She gets shocked by it. It works. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

It'll be just as pointless as the other painless methods then.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Where are you seeing that a "smack" has become a criminal offence?

It doesnt depend on your opinion it depends on well established case law.  If i tap you on the shoulder or punch you on the shoulder one is an assault and one is not .

Anyway, the topic was smacking ban. I call a tap a smack and therefore I see it as being banned. 

Your legal blah de blah holds  no interest to me.

Wow :blink:

A lot of posturing going on in this thread.

I am a relatively new parent. My son is 14 mths old and I don't plan on ever raising my hand to him. I am not naïve enough to think however, that I won't ever do it. I am also in the 'never done me any harm' camp as far as the discipline I received growing up. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I would be a lot worse off if I didn't get a smack growing up. I was an only child and I was an argumentative little c**t as far back as I can remember. I was insolent and antagonistic, went through a spree of shoplifting, got in fights at school, took recreational drugs at an early age, etc.. etc.

I grew up in a single parent family and my mother wasn't equipped for that. She loved me and cared for me every day of my life and she was my best friend. By the time I was in my late teens I told my Mum everything. She regularly gave me a slap when I was out of line. I honestly can't remember an instance when she went over the score or I didn't deserve it. She wasn't perfect but she did what she thought was best. She worked two jobs and didn't have much time for herself. She was a fucking saint.

If you think you are doing well as a parent then you are probably failing as a parent.

3 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

whiskychimp having the mare of all mare's here.  Imagine trying to defend a position where it's cool to strike a young child.   

In 20 years time this kinda shit will be laughed at. 

It's always the same handful of dicks that come out with that patter, I've not witnessed this mare myself.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

BTW I find I would find it very difficult to argue that the aim of smacking isn't to cause an amount of pain. Pain was what made me want to avoid it, and if no pain is inflicted then the child is none the wiser it is being disciplined. Not buying that tbh.

I don't think you'd need to inflict pain on a nappy wearing youngster to have the desired effect.

3 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

I am also in the 'never done me any harm' camp 

I was an argumentative little c**t as far back as I can remember. I was insolent and antagonistic, went through a spree of shoplifting, got in fights at school, took recreational drugs at an early age, etc.. etc.

:whistle

7 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

whiskychimp having the mare of all mare's here.  Imagine trying to defend a position where it's cool to strike a young child.   

In 20 years time this kinda shit will be laughed at. 

Depends on how you look at it, he's 'showing his workings', you might not agree with him but that doesn't mean he's having eh "mare of all mare's here", your 'workings' have been a bit tardy, take a leaf out of Invergowrie Arabs book and add something to the.... whatever this is. 

1 minute ago, The Equalizer said:

I pushed everything to the limit. She tried many lines in the sand before she gave me a crack. That was the only thing that worked. As has been said on here many times, it's a last resort.

For me its down to choice/situation. Nobody wants to lay a hand on their kid, sometimes for whatever reason it will happen. As long as its proportionate then 'no foul'. Not ideal but not many of us live in that world anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

I pushed everything to the limit. She tried many lines in the sand before she gave me a crack. That was the only thing that worked. As has been said on here many times, it's a last resort.

He's stating that the smacks caused the rest, my son didn't get smacked, took no notice of any consequences and was basically a nightmare for a decade, sometimes I've wondered if a good smacking wouldn't have made a difference.

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

He's stating that the smacks caused the rest, my son didn't get smacked, took no notice of any consequences and was basically a nightmare for a decade, sometimes I've wondered if a good smacking wouldn't have made a difference.

I understand that. I was just trying to put a salient description of my experience across. There's enough reactionary rhetoric on this thread already.

12 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

Ach i'm only joking - it was just an amusing juxtaposition

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I am not stating anything "caused" anything I was just mucking about.

Of course it is incontrovertible that violence in childhood, particularly in pre 5s is a major indicator of future criminality 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Of course it is incontrovertible that violence in childhood, particularly in pre 5s is a majt indicator of future criminality 

And I wouldn't argue against that for a second, I don't get anyone that knocks a kid around but I don't really think that anyone on here is saying anything different.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Of course it is incontrovertible that violence in childhood, particularly in pre 5s is a major indicator of future criminality 

I thought it was just tongue in cheek tbh. Violence breeds violence, the abused becomes the abuser. I understand and agree with all that, there is evidence to support it but there is a difference between being regularly buggered and getting a backhander when you have tested your parents patience to the limit. Incidentally if anyone told me my mother was a bad parent they'd be leaving with their teeth in their hands but that's probably only because I was smacked growing up and I don't know any different.

Edited by The Equalizer