Smacking Ban

I don't recall ever being smacked by my parents. I do remember vividly getting the belt in primary 2 for "running on the grass".  I know this isn't about the belt given how long that's been away but leathering a 6 year old for f**k all still outrages me and it's good to know that the c**t that did it will have been dead a long time now. I don't agree with hitting children so I'm fine with the ban. "Never did me any harm" is a bollocks argument. 

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

Imagine getting a hard-on for hitting kids an order of magnitude smaller and weaker than you. f**k's sake.

12 hours ago, chomp my root said:

That's a whole different set of circumstances, beast thread for this pish.

41 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

jimmy-savile-jogging.gif

6 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Its not my first reaction. Its my last reaction. 

Dont touch that socket.

Louder. Don't touch that socket.

Louder. Dont touch that socker.

Move towards child. Dont touch that socket. 

Grab arm. Loudly, don't touch that socket.

Tap on bum, finger wag. Loudly, dont touch that socket.

For example

Why didn't you give a reason as to why she shouldn't touch that socket? 

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Aye, but she's got legs

Have you considered blocking access to/childproofing anything which might cause the child danger? Have you considered otherwise occupying the child? Have you considered something more intelligent than repeating something which isn't working before hitting the child?

1 minute ago, HTG said:

I don't recall ever being smacked by my parents. I do remember vividly getting the belt in primary 2 for "running on the grass".  I know this isn't about the belt given how long that's been away but leathering a 6 year old for f**k all still outrages me and it's good to know that the c**t that did it will have been dead a long time now. I don't agree with hitting children so I'm fine with the ban. "Never did me any harm" is a bollocks argument. 

Its a very inarticulate argument but not necessarily a bollocks one. Just because it smacks of The Daily Mail doesn't mean it lacks validity, its somebodies first hand view/experience. While I share your 'judgement' to an extent, its still a fair point and as far as I can remember, one that hasn't been expressed so far, certainly not in those words.

Just now, whiskychimp said:

She's not at an age to be reasoned with. When she is, that's what will happen

She’s not at an age to be reasoned with but she’s at an age to be hit? Fucking hell. 

Honestly, that is genuinely disturbing behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Is a tap on the arse not a very weak strike with an open hand? I'd say it is.

If you like.

I have never heard of any case where somebody was convicted of a weak strike/ tap/ firm relocation of another person. 

What the removal of s.51 of the CJSA 2003 will do is give children the same protection as adults in removing the defence of justifiable assault. An assault would still need to occur for an offence to be committed.

The current position is that it is an offence to, for example, use an implement, leave marks or bruising or to commit a sustained assault.

You could still give a kid a damn good whack on outer clothing without being in breach of the current law and relying on the protection of the current s.51 defence. That is what is being removed.

Don’t really see the big deal with it. I never did it to my daughter personally(did once and felt guilty) Did we have a bad society or unruly kids when it was common place? I don’t think we did.

I’d rather deal with an adult that got smacked as a kid but had a bit of discipline now then one who never who thinks the world revolves around them and can’t take a telling which is what we appear to be getting on a societal issue with it dying out.

I got smacked routinely as a wean. Got the odd proper kicking off my dad as well. Never did me any harm [emoji106]

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If you like.

I have never heard of any case where somebody was convicted of a weak strike/ tap/ firm relocation of another person. 

What the removal of s.51 of the CJSA 2003 will do is give children the same protection as adults in removing the defence of justifiable assault. An assault would still need to occur for an offence to be committed.

The current position is that it is an offence to, for example, use an implement, leave marks or bruising or to commit a sustained assault.

You could still give a kid a damn good whack on outer clothing without being in breach of the current law and relying on the protection of the current s.51 defence. That is what is being removed.

Depends on your point of view. To me a "tap on the arse" was a smack when I was small and still is. 

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Depends on your point of view. To me a "tap on the arse" was a smack when I was small and still is. 

Ok, so it is not just a wee tap to give them a bit of a fright or get their attention. Are genuinely talking about chastisement and causing physical pain to make your point?

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Have you considered blocking access to/childproofing anything which might cause the child danger? Have you considered otherwise occupying the child? Have you considered something more intelligent than repeating something which isn't working before hitting the child?

Childproofing is not a possibility. Unless you remove all furniture and pad the walls and floor. 

Distracting her would work but she'd return to the dangerous activity pretty quickly. I prefer to let her know at the time with a "tap" if necessary