Smacking Ban

4 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

My parents wouldn’t have even dreamt of striking me or any of my siblings. Parenting is a piece of piss all things considered and it’s staggeringly simple not to hit children if you don’t have an uncontrollable urge to harm kids. 

You should run classes,  you'll make a killing, a lot of people seem to struggle one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't understand the "hitting a child when they try to run out into the road will stop them doing it again" argument, mainly because I can't for the life of me picture how you're supposed to do it. If you have to lurch and grab them or something, or say they reach out to touch a hot ring on a cooker or something that could hurt them and instinctively you slap their hand to stop them, that to me would be normal. I have this vision of someone stopping their child from suddenly running out into the road and then holding them up to hit them on the legs or something. It doesn't make sense.

Not having been there but the smack/sense of drama about the whole process turns a 'Darwin moment' into a bit of a drama (with a smack) that the kid remembers because the parent is so affected by it.  An event that sticks with the kid.

4 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

You've been fishing with the same bait for a while now. Change it up a bit

It’s not fishing to suggest fully grown adults should be forbidden from smacking babies/toddlers ffs. It is genuinely disturbing to think that people see that as acceptable behaviour. Striking defenceless children. It’s abhorrent. 

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Not having been there but the smack/sense of drama about the whole process turns a 'Darwin moment' into a bit of a drama (with a smack) that the kid remembers because the parent is so affected by it.  An event that sticks with the kid.

I wasn't asking about the effect, I was asking about the practicality. How do you do it? Where do you hit them? Why is your first reaction to hit them... wherever it is you hit them?

Just now, Jimmy85 said:

It’s not fishing to suggest fully grown adults should be forbidden from smacking babies/toddlers ffs. It is genuinely disturbing to think that people see that as acceptable behaviour. Striking defenceless children. It’s abhorrent. 

I see you've given up on the taboid language in this one. Not so coluorful but at least it's not fishing

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Maybe bosses should be able to smack employees whose work isn't up to scratch.

Slightly off-topic, but the number of perma-seething right wing bigots who were demanding Clarkson keep his job was unbelievable. Threatening to boycott the BBC and shite like that if the guy he punched wasn't fired instead.

Presumably they would all be okay with getting punched whilst at their work.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wasn't asking about the effect, I was asking about the practicality. How do you do it? Where do you hit them? Why is your first reaction to hit them... wherever it is you hit them?

Second guessing, fortunately I haven't been there but I would imagine once you've dragged the kid from in front of the bus, grab them to you in a big hug of 'thank God' (even if you don't believe) that you feel the need to make it a memorable occasion that they won't repeat so instead of buying them ice cream you physically chastise them in an appropriate way that will stay with them as a lesson.  Or at least that's the logic.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Its not my first reaction. Its my last reaction. 

Dont touch that socket.

Louder. Don't touch that socket.

Louder. Dont touch that socker.

Move towards child. Dont touch that socket. 

Grab arm. Loudly, don't touch that socket.

Tap on bum, finger wag. Loudly, dont touch that socket.

For example

Just now, chomp my root said:

Second guessing, fortunately I haven't been there but I would imagine once you've dragged the kid from in front of the bus, grab them to you in a big hug of 'thank God' (even if you don't believe) that you feel the need to make it a memorable occasion that they won't repeat so instead of buying them ice cream you physically chastise them in an appropriate way that will stay with them as a lesson.  Or at least that's the logic.

In fairness I've forgotten about all those times I ran out in front of a bus because my maw didn't give me a skelp afterwards.

5 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I'd say yes. A smack is an open hand striking which doesnt refer to the power involved. 

We will let the the fact that there has been no change in legislation slide.

In your opinion what has changed in the law that has meant that a " tap on the arse" is now a criminal offence?

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

We will let the the fact that there has been no change in legislation slide.

In your opinion what has changed in the law that has meant that a " tap on the arse" is now a criminal offence?

Is a tap on the arse not a very weak strike with an open hand? I'd say it is.

3 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Its not my first reaction. Its my last reaction. 

Dont touch that socket.

Louder. Don't touch that socket.

Louder. Dont touch that socker.

Move towards child. Dont touch that socket. 

Grab arm. Loudly, don't touch that socket.

Tap on bum, finger wag. Loudly, dont touch that socket.

For example

Have you considered placing the child out of reach of the socket