Smacking Ban

This reminds me of a couple who had an unruly child, who was quite clearly a wee shite. They used to show him an imaginary yellow card for his first offence, then a red one for his second, then take him away to his room for some quiet time. When he just needed a good skelping across the arse 

There's the fundamental disconnect. Folk who hit their kids want it to be considered a little tap on the arse, completely ignoring the fact that a little tap on the arse will do absolutely nothing to change behaviour. 
It's utterly dishonest. Smacking is about causing pain, fear or humiliation. If not, perhaps you can explain how you change behaviour by negative reinforcement without causing some significant negative emotions. Classic double think.

I'm sorry but in my experience that is bollocks. My mum smacked/tapped/slapped (call it what you will) my arse a couple of times. If ever I was in a situation when I could get in trouble, I would remember that and think - No chance. There was a couple of occasions when she held up her hand as if to smack/tap/slap (call it what you wish) and that was enough.

There was no leathering, beating or prolonged use.

My dad used to poke me in the chest on every syllable when telling me off. To be totally honest that was the one that I definitely didn't want.

Has it scarred me for life ? No

In my opinion were they correct in the way they chastised me ? Absolutely.

As I've said I honestly haven't had the need to smack. I have no idea how, but my son (who is 10) is bordering on perfect when it comes to respect and knowing right from wrong. Does that mean that not smacking my kid and only using verbal warnings means that I've been the perfect dad or I have been extremely lucky ? I'd personally go for the latter.

To tar all people who smack their kids as some kind of unhinged maniac that takes pleasure in beating their child senseless is way out of order.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

So a 'tap' or whatever is required to stop a child doing a dangerous thing? Or is there any other way of deterring them?

There are loads of ways, sometimes none of them work.

23 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I saw it was banned in 52 countries. I see it's not banned in the likes of USA or Australia, but is banned in the likes of South Sudan, DR Congo and also Spain (although Catalans are obvs fair game).

As with most radical plans, best not to rail against it and wait and see if any positives come from the ban. Obviously it'll take some time, possibly a generation, to see those results.

Can we ban smacking of kids and introduce mandatory smacking for idiots?

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Agreed. 

There is some utterly high and mighty shite being spouted in this thread. The proof of the pudding is a lack of people willing to call their own parents abusers on the basis of a smack. 

I have purposefully not said whether I agree or disagree with the new law so far on here, purely because the sensationalism thats being used in the arguements so far makes it utterly pointless.

Looks like the SJW's have been called out.  Anyone else who skelps/slaps/leathers/batters feck out of a wean* is naughty but not my silver haired Saint of an old maw/paw**. 

*Pick your own terminology

**That was different, I was a handful etc.

13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What's shocking about a tap on the arse? 

Reading this again, you appear to be utterly perfect, or delusional. I suspect delusional. If not then you're really in the wrong thread. This thread is about hitting kids.

This thread is NOT about hitting kids. It's about outlawing the smacking of kids. A tap on the arse is now against the law.

Then again you haven't actually argued against my logic, just called me names.

The shock is that the telling off has been escalated. Im not delusional and I'm not perfect but Im completely in control of myself when I chastise my child. 

Would you like to try again?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So a 'tap' or whatever is required to stop a child doing a dangerous thing? Or is there any other way of deterring them?

Yes. But remember you're not hurting them, it's more of a pat on the back. That'll teach them.

"PC Brigade" and "SJW" been said now, just waiting for "Snowflake" and I've got bingo.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Likely true but I imagine they are in the minority. What I don't understand is the clamour to throw round words like abuse and make stupid comments about people beating their children as if thats what they are actually doing. If there are sufficient and reliable studies that show this practice does more harm than good then fair enough, but folk need to calm down with the nonsense they are throwing about in here. 

I must be in the minority as I was never smacked as a child. I certainly haven't been run over, touched electrical cabinets, etc etc. So you can understand why some posters using these excuses for smacking doesn't exactly make sense to me.

My Dad did give me a dead leg once when he fell off a ladder I was supposed to be keeping steady, if that helps at all. 

My parents wouldn’t have even dreamt of striking me or any of my siblings. Parenting is a piece of piss all things considered and it’s staggeringly simple not to hit children if you don’t have an uncontrollable urge to harm kids. 

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Yes. But remember you're not hurting them, it's more of a pat on the back. That'll teach them.

"PC Brigade" and "SJW" been said now, just waiting for "Snowflake" and I've got bingo.

I'm claiming SJW, I only heard the term for the first time a couple of months ago and I had a 'light bulb' moment and thought of P & B. I get why you would take it as some kind of insult, from me, it pretty much is.  Any cause will do, prime example, smacking kids, not a peep out of the masses until it hits the news/someone starts a thead and then all the dyed in the wool rage about it. Funny, didn't hear anything about it yesterday on here but today its flavour of the month. so spleens have to be vented and any nay sayers shouted down. Colour me scournful.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I must be in the minority as I was never smacked as a child. I certainly haven't been run over, touched electrical cabinets, etc etc. So you can understand why some posters using these excuses for smacking doesn't exactly make sense to me.

My Dad did give me a dead leg once when he fell off a ladder I was supposed to be keeping steady, if that helps at all. 

I don't understand the "hitting a child when they try to run out into the road will stop them doing it again" argument, mainly because I can't for the life of me picture how you're supposed to do it. If you have to lurch and grab them or something, or say they reach out to touch a hot ring on a cooker or something that could hurt them and instinctively you slap their hand to stop them, that to me would be normal. I have this vision of someone stopping their child from suddenly running out into the road and then holding them up to hit them on the legs or something. It doesn't make sense.