Smacking Ban

7 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Maybe not perfect parenting, I doubt anyone sets out looking to lay a hand on their kids but real life can get in the way. Its not always down to losing control, sometimes there will be exasperation/rage or whatever but if that is tempered to a  (not too painful) smack instead of a roundhouse kick to the swede then its sometimes still the right thing to do at that second in time. If the kid learns a valuable lesson then its no harm done by a skelp. For me the big problem is those that are so dead set against it that they can't see that it might have a part to play for some in the way they bring up their kids. As I posted several pages ago, the only time I can remember hitting my kid was after repeatedly not looking when we were crossing the road. She really can't remember being hit, its not had a lasting effect. The problem for me seems to be that good parents will have a parenting tool removed from them, like any tool, either use it or don't, its up to you but stopping parents from having the option really isn't the way to stop bad parents battering weans.

You seem quite torn. No need. Just don't hit your kids. There's plenty of other ways to express your disapproval.

31 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What does anyone learn from one small bum slap? The point can only be to frighten our hurt otherwise where's the incentive to change behaviour? One wee bum slap is not going to achieve that. 

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

This isn't the arse tapping thread, mate. If you want to tap your kids on the arse then you crack on.

Bum slap. Arse tap. Potato potato. Still, let's stick with why its harmful?

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You seem quite torn. No need. Just don't hit your kids. There's plenty of other ways to express your disapproval.

Not torn at all, no real guilt, my kid is 25 and we have a great relationship. Can't wait to beat the shit out the grand wean's though. :lol:

Edit to add, As I have a great relationship with my mum who hit me occasionally and probably does feel remorse for it. My father was of the best men I've had the pleasure to meet and yup, he gave me a few well deserved scuds over the years, last one being when I was about 13 or 14. I was going out of my way to bait him at the time and I wasn't much smaller than him so being a cock basically. He was a lot more gentle than I probably would have been, hard to say, I've not had a son.

Edited by chomp my root

2 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Bum slap. Arse tap. Potato potato. Still, let's stick with why its harmful?

Oh I see, you've entirely missed the point. Here it is: smacking isn't a little bum slap or an arse tap. 

The point of smacking is to inflict pain and/or fear and/or humiliation otherwise how is it supposed to influence behaviour? A little 'bum slap' or 'arse tap' is completely irrelevant and anyone hiding behind that sort of terminology is kidding themself as to what they're actually doing to their kids.

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yes there is, just sit back, do f**k all and tell all c**t they have ADHD

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Can't wait to beat the shit out the grand wean's though. :lol:

Doesn't work that way I'm afraid, you'll just want to smack your child for chastising your grandwean 

Awesome anecdote dude. 
The suggestion that kids only, or predominantly, get smacked to educate them about real life hazards, or to prevent an immediate danger is incredibly dishonest. Kids get hit because their parents are angry and frustrated. That's why it's a bad thing. Fairy stories about keeping kids away from the fuse box, or the fire place, cooker etc are disingenuous nonsense.

I'm just telling you as it is. I believe your opinion is disingenuous nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Who here is willing to admit both that their parents smacked them AND that they believe they had bad and abusive parents?

My father both smacked me AND took me to Ibrox.  I only resent him for one of those...

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, heedthebaa said:

Yes there is, just sit back, do f**k all and tell all c**t they have ADHD

Doesn't work that way I'm afraid, you'll just want to smack your child for chastising your grandwean 

I don't know, my daughter is going out with a Muslim (a good few years now) so as a card carrying bairn beater I'm probably a shoe in as a racist too. I might be able to get a 'twofer', and if its a lassie I can be a sexist as well. That kid has it coming. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I don't know, my daughter is going out with a Muslim (a good few years now) so as a card carrying bairn beater I'm probably a shoe in as a racist too. I might be able to get a 'twofer', and if its a lassie I can be a sexist as well. That kid has it coming. 

tenor.gif

You certainly appear to have issues, other than the obvious.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Who here is willing to admit both that their parents smacked them AND that they believe they had bad and abusive parents?

Genuine reply here.   I recall being smacked at age 4 or 5 and thinking - 'If my parents love me why are they hitting me?'      

Obviously, I'm not scared or anything, but It potentially made me trust them less as a wee nipper. 

Genuine reply here.   I recall being smacked at age 4 or 5 and thinking - 'If my parents love me why are they hitting me?'      
Obviously, I'm not scared or anything, but It potentially made me trust them less as a wee nipper. 

It's difficult to tell when (if ever) you are telling the truth.