Battle of the Brechin and Border Bumpkins

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The camera certainly couldn't have been better placed for the royal rumble at the end.  To be honest it looks like very little and I'd agree with SD's initial assessment that 2 bookings would have sufficed.  The still photos of Love's "headbutt" certainly make it look worse than it was in real time.  I think Kerr's bleeding mouth is actually caused by him being pushed into the hoardings.  Whilst not a particularly pleasant thing to have happen, you see it almost every week when a player is "jockying" the ball out of play (obstruction anywhere else on the pitch).

I have a lot of sympathy for the referees when these melees kick off because it would be impossible for them to see everything that is going one.  By the law book there probably could have been a few other players booked on each side just for getting involved needlessly and waving their handbags about.  It's all very playground with the "he started it" stuff.  I'm not confident about our appeal because Kerr does retaliate.  I'm not going to attempt to second-guess a member of the SFA though as anything is possible with that lot.

57 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not confident about our appeal because Kerr does retaliate.  I'm not going to attempt to second-guess a member of the SFA though as anything is possible with that lot.

I am very confident the appeal will succeed. He doesnt commit violent conduct as defined in the rules  Its that simple. Contrary to earlier eye witness statements neither does he shove Love into the fence or start "throwing handbags".

The burst lip came from Love's forehead. Like I said though I am not convinced Love even deliberately butts him. 

OK then, here we go. Thanks to HedgeTV for their assistance in the production of our highlights...

That looked like a pretty decent game. Smith had a few good saves and Martin had a cracker and a really good one. The first one was a shock given he's unable to dive apparently. Dobbie can't seem to buy a goal just now but the pass from Dykes was excellent. A draw would have been fair enough had Brechin grabbed an equaliser.

Good angle for the riot. If Kerr's red isn't rescinded I'd be very shocked. He blocks Love but he doesn't do it in an aggresive manner. He then just pushes Love away when he loses his shit and doesn't raise his elbow like that muppet Orsi (no. 18?) would have the ref believe. I'm not sure if Love would get off with it should Brechin appeal. In slow motion he clearly moves his head in Kerr's direction and it only moved back because Kerr pushed him away. Had Kerr not defended himself then I've not doubt Love would have continued to push his head into Kerr. He then put his hands on the ref after the red. I'm not sure what the official rules are on that but I thought it was a big no no.

A valuable 3 points is the main thing. Did the camera not pick up Marshall's injury btw?

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

That looked like a pretty decent game. Smith had a few good saves and Martin had a cracker and a really good one. The first one was a shock given he's unable to dive apparently. 

Second time you have said this, so I’d better take the time out to explain it as the penny doesn’t appear to have dropped despite numerous posts on the subject.

Nobody has said Martin has never made a diving save in his life. They have said he has been unable to dive so far this season because he has been playing with an injury and hasn’t been fully fit. Obviously as he has been training for a few weeks now, he would be expected to start making diving saves at some point. Thankfully it has finally happened before the end of October.

Second time you have said this, so I’d better take the time out to explain it as the penny doesn’t appear to have dropped despite numerous posts on the subject.
Nobody has said Martin has never made a diving save in his life. They have said he has been unable to dive so far this season because he has been playing with an injury and hasn’t been fully fit. Obviously as he has been training for a few weeks now, he would be expected to start making diving saves at some point. Thankfully it has finally happened before the end of October.

Well no that's never been said directly but he's received pelters for his inability to get down quick enough. That in itself is absolutely fair enough. For some folk to still criticise this after it's been made perfectly clear he's been carrying an injury is what I took issue with. Before that came out I never once defended him or his inability to get down. It's been since then that I've found it bizarre folk still had a pop.

At least if he is now making these saves it might be a case of him being close to full fitness and we can see the goalkeeper we were promised by Sons fans.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well no that's never been said directly but he's received pelters for his inability to get down quick enough. That in itself is absolutely fair enough. For some folk to still criticise this after it's been made perfectly clear he's been carrying an injury is what I took issue with. Before that came out I never once defended him or his inability to get down. It's been since then that I've found it bizarre folk still had a pop.

At least if he is now making these saves it might be a case of him being close to full fitness and we can see the goalkeeper we were promised by Sons fans.

I think folk “having a pop” were doing so on the basis that he shouldn’t be playing if he was unable to dive properly. 

I think folk “having a pop” were doing so on the basis that he shouldn’t be playing if he was unable to dive properly. 

In which case the criticism should have been directed towards Naysmith.

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

In which case the criticism should have been directed towards Naysmith.

Well, obviously. Is that not always the case when somebody is playing who is either injured (quite rare) or not good enough? The point is made about the player, but the criticism for signing him, or playing him, is quite obviously directed at the manager. Poor players don’t put themselves in the team.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am very confident the appeal will succeed. He doesnt commit violent conduct as defined in the rules  Its that simple. Contrary to earlier eye witness statements neither does he shove Love into the fence or start "throwing handbags".

The burst lip came from Love's forehead. Like I said though I am not convinced Love even deliberately butts him. 

Fair enough, you'll know more about the appeals process than I do.  I would have thought in general they would always defend the referee and as Kerr does raise his hands that might be enough for them.

As I say though, it's an assumption based more on a lack of faith in the SFA than any knowledge about these things.  I didn't expect us to win our appeal for Lyle's headbutt against Rangers either and I think we did.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's amazing what a different angle does.  I was behind the goal and from there it looked as if Kerr had swung at Love .  On seeing the video I would say that even Love's actions weren't as bad as they looked in real time and as you say the butt appears to be a coming together of heads.  That said though I think the ref got it spot on as things looked a lot worse first time round. If Kerr's red gets rescinded I would have no worries.  Love's certainly won't for as far as I am aware we won't appeal as it has never been a policy of our club ( probably because it costs so much for the gamble of losing ) .  Mind you to appeal that would be futile anyway. 

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I’m not sure it does. Looking at the replay, Kerr appears to have blood in the corner of his mouth before the incident even starts and certainly before he makes contact with anybody or anything. Love’s nut appears to go into Kerr’s cheek. It may have made whatever was there worse, of course. But it looks like there was some kind of damage beforehand. Could be wrong as it is quite difficult to see and it is only visible in the replay.

Eta can see it better in slow motion, but if you stop the video at 13:36 you can see a wee red line in the corner of Kerr’s gub.

30 minutes ago, Flash said:

I’m not sure it does. Looking at the replay, Kerr appears to have blood in the corner of his mouth before the incident even starts and certainly before he makes contact with anybody or anything. Love’s nut appears to go into Kerr’s cheek. It may have made whatever was there worse, of course. But it looks like there was some kind of damage beforehand. Could be wrong as it is quite difficult to see and it is only visible in the replay.

Eta can see it better in slow motion, but if you stop the video at 13:36 you can see a wee red line in the corner of Kerr’s gub.

I havent looked that closely. He said he got it from Love's forehead. I had no reason to doubt it. 

Archived