Battle of the Brechin and Border Bumpkins

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that was a struggle.
I thought the 2 red cards were both justified and indeed Brownlie could easily have had one first half for a hand in the face of a Brechin player which the ref didn`t see. 
Both sides had some chances and in all honesty I wouldn`t have begrudged Brechin a point.
It`s pretty telling that we ended up playing 451 ( or maybe 4-1-4-1)and getting deeper and deeper at 1-0 albeit Dobbie should have scored when clean through.  Our lack of someone in midfield who can control a game really stood out towards the end. 
Fine save from Martin in the 2nd half- couple of comments round us that it was his first save of the season [emoji38]
Anyway, 3 welcome points. not easy on the eye though.

Hopefully Naysmith can get a cm in for january. In league as tight as this one it can make the difference. Another clean sheet is pleasing but goals drying up for strikers. Hopefully next week we can get another win and push on.

5 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

Hopefully Naysmith can get a cm in for january. In league as tight as this one it can make the difference. Another clean sheet is pleasing but goals drying up for strikers. Hopefully next week we can get another win and push on.

Goals have dried up for midfield players too. 17 games played, including 5 v seaside league and 1 v non league, and our midfield players have scored 2 goals.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We're actually quite well placed now, given that five of our next seven league games are at home.  

Not that our home form has been up to much, right enough.

The return to a more standard 4-4-2 since the shambles up in Paisley appears to have tightened up the defence with 3 consecutive clean-sheets.  With Kerr now missing for a couple of games he is going to have to revert to playing Fordyce at CB again.  Rooney will likely come in and perhaps Mercer if Marshall is also out.  If McFadden is out then we could stick with the midfield four and play Stirling and Murray out wide, or god forbid Dykes.

Alternatively we return to the awful 4-3-3 system with Jacobs, Rankin and Tapping all charging about like headless chickens.

Either way, forgive me for not brimming with confidence about the next few games.

30 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

You can have Kyle Hutton back if you want. By that stage Stuart Carswell will be back fit, and Grant Gallagher will be nearing a return, so it would be a real waste if we left him on our bench.

You can have Kyle Hutton back if you want. By that stage Stuart Carswell will be back fit, and Grant Gallagher will be nearing a return, so it would be a real waste if we left him on our bench.

You guys are lucky to have luxury in the team like him. I pray Naysmith gets Joe Thomson back in.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It`s a kind offer and so tempting but i`m going to have to say

image.jpeg.3cf1ae382250a91c50a4a929cea0caca.jpeg

You never know it might just be crazy enough to work.  Given that the players the Dumbarton fans promised us were good have proven to be a bit shit, perhaps the opposite would apply with Hutton?

Vital that we won today with results going for us elsewhere. We had a 40 minute spell either side of HT where we should have put game out of sight but ended up in true GN style - playing a 4-5-1 and inviting trouble. Inevitably we got some trouble but managed to survive.

Our game management is awful - our total inability to retain possession results in hoofball just when we need some composure. Sadly GN seems incapable of solving this major problem. Until he does solve this problem we will not reach our potential.

According to some we played well, Qos a poor team so it doesn’t take much. We were poor too huff n puff.We will get a win as this league is full of not so good teams.We need people who can score today we couldn’t score in a barrel o fannies

4 minutes ago, slangs said:

According to some we played well, Qos a poor team so it doesn’t take much. We were poor too huff n puff.We will get a win as this league is full of not so good teams.We need people who can score today we couldn’t score in a barrel o fannies

Other than what looked like a fantastic save by Martin you would certainly have scored today. I thought Brechin did well enough. Good spirit, some decent passing and certainly more positive than I expected after some of the pre-match comments on here.

Always enjoy a trip to Glebe Park. No hassles and really friendly and helpful folk working for the club on match day..

Thought it was a terrific game to be honest and deserved a lot more than one goal. I thought we deserved to win it over the piece but I'm sure the Brechin guys would say they deserved at least a point. The pace of the game first half in particular was frightening. Thought Brechin maybe ran out of legs a bit in the second half but were still in it right to the end.

Layne could have had a couple with Martin producing one good save and the other placed wide. Marshall also got an early header from someone else (Crighton?) off the line. However, at the other end Dobbie should have played Murray in for a tap in, there was one first half incident where about three different Brechin player made goal saving blocks with their bodies, Fordyce hit the bar, and he also scored albeit a handball was given that I didn't spot but nobody seemed to be complaining about. And then there was that save from Dykes which was absolutely world class from Smith!  And that was just the first half!!

Second half had less goalmouth action but Kerr scored, Martin produced an excellent save from Layne's header, Smith another excellent half block from Dobbie's shot when clean in on goal, Lyle had a succession of headers miss target and right at the end a Brechin header flashed across the face of goal.

And as if all that wasn't enough entertainment we added an injury time 22 player stramash over not very much which saw Love and Kerr red carded.  There was little in it and yellow cards or just a good talking to would have been fine but the referee certainly wasn't helped by both teams turning it into something more than it needed to be.

A good day's entertainment though and an important three points, tempered by the problem of potentially losing Marshall (and Kerr possibly) for a lengthy period.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thought it was a terrific game to be honest and deserved a lot more than one goal. I thought we deserved to win it over the piece but I'm sure the Brechin guys would say they deserved at least a point. The pace of the game first half in particular was frightening. Thought Brechin maybe ran out of legs a bit in the second half but were still in it right to the end.

Layne could have had a couple with Martin producing one good save and the other placed wide. Marshall also got an early header from someone else (Crighton?) off the line. However, at the other end Dobbie should have played Murray in for a tap in, there was one first half incident where about three different Brechin player made goal saving blocks with their bodies, Fordyce hit the bar, and he also scored albeit a handball was given that I didn't spot but nobody seemed to be complaining about. And then there was that save from Dykes which was absolutely world class from Smith!  And that was just the first half!!

Second half had less goalmouth action but Kerr scored, Martin produced an excellent save from Layne's header, Smith another excellent half block from Dobbie's shot when clean in on goal, Lyle had a succession of headers miss target and right at the end a Brechin header flashed across the face of goal.

And as if all that wasn't enough entertainment we added an injury time 22 player stramash over not very much which saw Love and Kerr red carded.  There was little in it and yellow cards or just a good talking to would have been fine but the referee certainly wasn't helped by both teams turning it into something more than it needed to be.

A good day's entertainment though and an important three points.

I`d totally forgotten about that save by Smith. It really was a fine save and Dykes did really well to get across his marker. 

My main issue was how deep we got in the latter stages. Our ball retention was awful and we really invited trouble. 

We did shade the game overall but as you suggest it wouldn`t have been robbery in any sense if Brechin had got a point out of it.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Layne could have had a couple with Martin producing one good save and the other placed wide. Marshall also got an early header from someone else (Crighton?) off the line. However, at the other end Dobbie should have played Murray in for a tap in, there was one first half incident where about three different Brechin player made goal saving blocks with their bodies, Fordyce hit the bar, and he also scored albeit a handball was given that I didn't spot but nobody seemed to be complaining about. And then there was that save from Dykes which was absolutely world class from Smith!  And that was just the first half!!

A good day's entertainment though and an important three points, tempered by the problem of potentially losing Marshall (and Kerr possibly) for a lengthy period.

Congrats on the Goodwill Ambassador thing.

Game down too a tee . I also thought it was a good game end to end .I will say our right back Lynas got away with a bad tackle first half but overall ref tried to let game flow .
2 wonder saves(similar position ) from either keeper . And yes nice friendly Queens fans .

Archived