Dundee United v Inverness Caley 21/10/17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Donaldson had a decent game, didn't come under much pressure but coped well when he did.

Ignoring Mixu (which is a good idea) the last two managers have not been able to get the best out of players we have or have had.

McNamara was lucky that some under his 'management' were self motivated whilst others left with the same failings they had arrived with - Ciftci being a prime example.

McKinnon has made some decent signings but can't organise them or motivate them (if they're not organised I think motivation is difficult).

We were excellent today, thoroughly deserved the win and it probably should've been more. We appear to have stumbled on a formation and style that works, or it has the last two weeks anyway. We built on the performance against Falkirk and improved on it.

We set up in a pretty standard 4-4-2, relatively flat in midfield with Chalmers left and Mulreany right. Vigurs and Polworth sat in the middle in front of the the same back four as previously, including returning hero Donaldson. Up front we had Baird and Bell.

United had a few chances early and forced Ridgers into a reflex save from a shot (didn't see who hit it) and then we had to scramble clear from within the six yard box after a prolonged stramash. After that we really took over and started having an impact in an attacking sense. Baird and Tremarco missed headers and we had a few other openings before opening the scoring. Following a corner the ball was headed clear to Vigurs who shot in from the edge of the box.

We then doubled our lead with one of the best goals I've seen us score in years. A United attack broke down around our 18 yard box and we broke with a little dink into midfield from Donaldson (I think). We then moved the ball quickly through midfield and released Mulreany with a weighted through ball. Mulreany rinsed the left back for pace and drove into the box, where he hit a driven low cross that Connor Bell drilled in from a couple of yards. It was a fucking belter, everything about it was perfect, the passing, the pace, the finish. When Mulreany got the ball I said to my mate that this would be goal of the season, I can't imagine us scoring s better one this season.

We had a couple of other breaks which could've lead to goals in the first half, Mulreany, Baird and Bell all had opportunities. Into the second half and we again sat strong and broke, with Mulreany probably having the best chance when he was pit right through but didn't shoot quickly enough. Donaldson also had a header that he put over but should've got on target. United, oddly, played with their centre half Durnan up front from an hour but that had zero impact, I don't think a single chance came from it. There were a couple of set pieces that Ridgers had to save but weren't really threatening. It was nervy for the fans because we've been so bad but looking back, we cigar'd it in the second half.

Overall, we were excellent. Vigurs was at the heart of everything, he ran the midfield. He has been superb this season, strolling though games and dominating possession. He can switch the play but it's the way he plays little passes to create space, flicks round the corner of players and turns with the ball that makes him so effective. He really has been a class act and is the heart of our team.

Defensively we have somehow become settled and solid. Having two experienced full backs in Tremarco and Raven is a help but Donaldson has been a rock the last two weeks, defends well, no nonsense, quick and good in the air. He clearly loved getting that win, going by his celebrations at the end. He looks like being a real find.

Up front Baird and Bell aren't likely to be prolific but the way they pull defenders about, hold the ball and make runs is vital to creating the space for our chances. Mulreany has kicked on in the last two weeks, another confidence filled game today, including an actual assist, miracle of miracles! Second week in a row he dominated the full back and his end product was better. Great stuff.

Great post from Chris. Not really much to add to that apart from all the United fans we meet before and after the game were class especially one tidy wee piece in the Troll Inn (Gayle?) who was a solid 8/10.

4 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I thought the blonde haired lad (Bell?) definitely had something about him. Our boys couldnt get near him at times

As Chris says both Bell and Baird don't look like they will be regular goal scorers for us but they work so hard up front and chase almost everything if they get a chance they could potentially give a lot of defences a hard time this season if we can keep this wee run of form up. They gave Balatoni and Grant a lot of problems last week and it was good to see them continue this into today's game. Obviously their lack of height is potentially an issue but if we can keep Mulraney fit and he can maintain his good spell he will surely set up a few more chances similar to the one he laid on a plate for Bell today.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Firstly, congratulations to ICT very composed and organised today and a thoroughly deserved win, it could easily have been 4 or 5.  Indeed they took their foot of the gas in the last quarter of the game.

As for United, we have no organisation; none.  We have no tactics and our team selection is still questionable; Flood back in midfield is a joke and the need to put a Durnan up front after 60 minutes with a striker on the bench shows the lack of options on the team McKinnon has put together.

He should go now.

Time to splash the cash in January ??

Archived