Jail

Cerberus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly Alcatraz but I spent a night in the cells in Gibraltar for being asleep on a bench pished. In mitigation I'd drank a prodigious amount over the 16 hours or so before and had my 40th birthday at sea a few days earlier and the Gib coppers really weren't keen on visiting submarines. I saw my incarceration more as a political pawn being used by da man rather than being a shambling pished mess...  I did see a photo of me being supported by a couple of mates earlier that night and I'm sticking with political prisoner. :P

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

They're harrowing stories and if you are in any way used to home comforts then it would be hell on earth, i can't think of anything worse than not being able to sleep because of the sub human conditions you are forced to live in. There was one banged up abroad the guys mattress was covered in blood because a fellow inmate who was sharing the same few square feet had itched himself so badly he started bleeding. He couldn't even stretch out when he was trying to sleep because there are so many inmates in the same area.

"Itched himself?"

27 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

I've read the book of the Irish guy who got jailed in Venezuela. Pretty harrowing stuff. but would definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. Or the David MacMillan one escaping from Klong Prem in Thailand.

<<< not a drug smuggler.

Marching Powder is an interesting read about life in a Bolivian prison.

34 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

I've read the book of the Irish guy who got jailed in Venezuela. Pretty harrowing stuff. but would definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. Or the David MacMillan one escaping from Klong Prem in Thailand.

<<< not a drug smuggler.

Just read The Damage Done last week about Warren Fellows, an Aussie drug smuggler who served nearly 12 years in Thai jails, harrowing stuff

10 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I assume you mean they spent the best part of 20 banged up over multiple short sentence? I don’t think you’d do
20 Consecutive years unless you’d done something pretty big.

Yeah multiple short sentences.

Most memorable one was a guy continually jailed for making false 999 calls.  In for 6 months out for a couple.  Jail was never going to help that guy.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Most memorable one was a guy continually jailed for making false 999 calls.  In for 6 months out for a couple.  Jail was never going to help that guy.

I bet the local firemen and paramedics were over the moon though 

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A mate down in England volunteered to do some kind of prison monitoring, he went in and spoke to prisoners and guards and sent his feedback 'back up the line', he thought there were a lot of mental health types in jail and that a lot of the perverts/beasts had something (apart from the obvious) wrong with them, in their heads they were the victims.  

Not sure what the answer is  but we can't just let people carry on ringing 999 for the attention or whatever, some people will never be 'fixed' and while jail isn't the answer, they can't be left to do their thang either.

Got put in a van and taken into the cells when I was 17 along with a dozen or so mates for under age drinking.

They must've been on a anti drinking campaign or something. Some plain clothes guy came up to us and said "alright lads nothing is going to happen to you" then started searching us. A meat wagon then turned up and we all got bundled in. Drink confiscated and put into cells for two hours. They phoned my parents and left a message so bolted up the road and deleted it then back on the booze the next day.

:lol:

Im sure what they did was all sorts of wrong and just to teach us a lesson. Thing was we had been drinking outside since 15ish and had never caused any bother really. Just a few tins, game of football and chasing birds. One of my mates mum used to buy us the booze so what could they say?

American prisons seem something else, really sad to see.

Done a night in the jail in Anchorage Alaska, was on a dry boat for 6 weeks, got my wages in cash and flew into Anchorage in morning went to a boozer and the woman behind the bar was from Largs and was generous with the whisky, headed out to a strip club where I was asked to leave for being steaming. Wandered around Anchorage looking for my digs couldn't find it and was stopped by the polis. Drunken Scots wasn't their first language so I was taking to the local jail and put in the drunk tank with a dozen Inuit guys. just got the head down and when I got up I had to drink about 3 litres of water and hang about for a couple of hours till I could pass the breathalyzer. No charges and basically the Polis had a laugh about it. Had a couple o grand in my pocket so was thankful to wake up with that intact.

Never been in jail but I stupidly fell for the ol' "good cop, bad cop" routine when I was 18/19 and in a bit of bother for getting into a fecht up toon. Felt like a right p***k. Got a caution for BoP and assault.

22 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

A mate down in England volunteered to do some kind of prison monitoring, he went in and spoke to prisoners and guards and sent his feedback 'back up the line', he thought there were a lot of mental health types in jail and that a lot of the perverts/beasts had something (apart from the obvious) wrong with them, in their heads they were the victims.  

Not sure what the answer is  but we can't just let people carry on ringing 999 for the attention or whatever, some people will never be 'fixed' and while jail isn't the answer, they can't be left to do their thang either.

I totally agree, my point being that this is a guy needing help rather than incarceration.

The story I was told by the warder, and it could easily have been nonsense, was that he was in the pub in his youth and some guys playing darts in a tournament were firemen who were called out resulting in this guy getting a chance to play.  Probably nonsense but, if true, then a tragically funny thing.

Archived