Heart of Midlothian vs Saint Johnstone 2017-10-21

21 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Rake of the stands is poor, better than Hampden, similar to ibrox for far end.

Facilities were pretty poor.

Agree about the angle of seats, very poor view of the far end.  Love how in a 67000 capacity stadium they start selling tickets to Saints fans in the bottom corner first then work their way along behind the goals. A crowd of 18000 so surely you can let fans have a decent view of the game?  

Its not as if there wasn't enough stewards there to deal with people spreading out a bit!!

Ticked the Murrayfield box, and was something different as a one off, but hopefully never again, and look forward to the next game at the new and improved Tynecastle. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

A genuinely horrible game of football. Not sure we deserved to win but we were less shite than St Johnstone.

That's about it for me, except that I'd say we were both so bad that we both deserved to lose.

That 1st half was one of the worst I've ever seen. 2nd much better with Cochrane coming on, nice to see someone else with some ability/vision other than Walker.
Berra was immense.

Has Soutter been on corners for a while? Pretty terrible having a centre half taking them.

Right that's Foster and Anderson phased out, we now need to get someone in for Easton and sort out a striker then I'll be happy.

I've been worried about Eastons form for a while, but today's the first day I've been genuinely raging with him. O'Halloran consistently dragged three players all over the pitch with him, leaving swathes of grass on that side of the park, and Easton never once moved into it. The one time he did he was so immobile he couldn't actually stretch to keep the ball in play.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've been worried about Eastons form for a while, but today's the first day I've been genuinely raging with him. O'Halloran consistently dragged three players all over the pitch with him, leaving swathes of grass on that side of the park, and Easton never once moved into it. The one time he did he was so immobile he couldn't actually stretch to keep the ball in play.

Tbf he is just back from injury.

He's a competent full back at this level but a younger fitter faster player would add so much to our team.

That new bridge might look great, but it's been a nightmare every time I've been over it.
How can you spend £1.5bn and make congestion worse?!

Because saft c***s go over it at 20.

I went into Edinburgh after, left the park and ride at 7ish and still got stuck in traffic as the only two other cars on the road were doing 30 side by side for about eight miles. Utterly seething

2 minutes ago, woolf said:

Hope everyone enjoyed the roadworks!

No roadworks for me.

Stirling to Hutchison Crossway. Walked to Gorgie Fish Bar, avoided the overpriced garbage on offer at Murrayfield, and enjoyed a good fish supper.

Walked back after the game and home in 40 minutes.

Only the football spoiled the afternoon.

Actually thought both sides played alright in certain areas yesterday but the final ball was too often atrocious. It was similar to last week for Saints in that regard. Personally not something I'm going to get too concerned about at this stage but will be manna from heaven for some, who seem almost itching for Saints to have a proper bad spell after the past decade.

The goal kind of summed up the game, both teams struggling to make the right pass in the final third, so Hearts have a speculative long shot, it deflects to Lafferty, then his effort takes a massive bounce off our defender. I think the fact we didn't manage to test McLaughlin after that is a valid criticism, you need to throw the kitchen sink at it. It means you can't really argue about the end result and I think Hearts probably had the better individuals on the day as well, the aforementioned goalkeeper looked dominant and Berra and Souttar made things hard when it did come to trying a more direct approach.

Positives were we defended much more like ourselves, Scougall again showed up well, certainly in the first half, and it was great to have O'Halloran back. We might have had more joy if he every instance of him getting the ball didn't end up with him being chopped in half. Referee offered him no protection, not for the first time. Comrie and moreso Gordon can be pleased with the way they defended, the former's distribution was disappointing though. 

Much has been made of the final ball and linked to that would be the one concern I have, when it's poor, MacLean isn't going to make something happen himself and we don't have an alternative. Every team in the league would like the sort of striker that can do that though. The answer for us certainly isn't Denny Johnstone, who looks every bit another Morgan or Gormley, on what is growing evidence. Has any club of our size had great success in recruiting a striker over the summer?

I'm hopeful we'll find our range in the final third again over the next few games. I was happy with the way we pressed Rangers and Hearts and hope that's taken into Tuesday night as too often we don't bring that intensity to those sort of games.

Well, bit of a shitfest. First half was particularly shite, long balls and niggly play. Hearts decision making was poor in the last third and what walker and callachan were doing I don't know. 

Second half we were a lot better and probably deserved to win it, worth noting we played a 16 and a 17 year old while pushing to win the game which shows Leveins trust in them. Bit of luck at the goal and Liam "the ref" Craig getting halved and booked for the pleasure was my highlight.

Berra soaked up every punt forward and saints never offered much going forward. They have a decent defence though and snuffed out any long balls well and every time Isma got it to feet put him under pressure. Just a shame they're so poor going forward

Archived