Arbroath vs Airdrieonians

With Doris still out the only change I’d make from Saturday is Kader back in for Swankie. Despite their off field troubles Airdrie have had a few decent results in the last few weeks and with our rubbish home form it certainly won’t be easy. Next 3 games will all be quite tough (Airdrie, East Fife and Ayr) so getting 3 points at home would be a welcome boost.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

With Doris still out the only change I’d make from Saturday is Kader back in for Swankie. Despite their off field troubles Airdrie have had a few decent results in the last few weeks and with our rubbish home form it certainly won’t be easy. Next 3 games will all be quite tough (Airdrie, East Fife and Ayr) so getting 3 points at home would be a welcome boost.

From seeing all of the first 9 games, I think all of the sides are not that far apart on any day; Raith have an edge as do Ayr but there have been some surprises. Albion Rovers away form and Arbroath have maybe caught the eye . We are still not quite settled as to a squad or style but we do look harder to break down so the first goal will be crucial. Furtado has added a dimension to our attack but it looks like we will play 4-1-4-1 for the early stages. Glad Doris is injured as I rate him highly and I only hope Ophelia has disappeared by the weekend!

Need to bounce back from Saturdays defeat in Fife. I pray for a Holy Goalie return but I heard he hasn’t been seen at training for a few weeks. Disappointing if true. Means we will also need a GK signed up as I believe Rab has played all his trial games. I’d probably go with an unchanged starting XI with Gav keeping his place and Omar on the bench.

Gomes should be punted.

No matter how much I like him you can't just decide to stop turning up because you aren't playing.

Especially as a keeper. That's part and parcel of it.

Said it on the match thread before the Rovers game, but if we were to be winning a game, and Hutton got injured, and we had to bring on some youth keeper or a 47 year old Rab Douglas, and then went on to lose because of that then that would be totally unacceptable.

One or two weeks would be forgivable but that must be 4 or 5 weeks now.

Not sure Rab is 47

None of us know the ins and outs of what has happened with Gomes, he may be injured, he may have spat the dummy out, if its the latter then I would imagine hes in breach of his contract therefore wont be getting paid. 

I don't mind Hutton but he doesn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence, its a position we need to strengthen or have cover for and it needs done quickly.

Gomes suffered a nasty head injury and that's not always easy to recover from either physically or mentally.
Hutton was decent again on Saturday. No keeper is 100% and he made some excellent stops in the second half.

His injury hasn't got anything to do with it though, or does it?

His injury is why he dropped out of the team in the first place but the fact he hasn't turned up to training (just based on what people are saying here) or matches for the last 4 weeks is because he's not happy at being on the bench.

Not sure he dropped out the team because of a concussion or whatever either, probably just with a really sore mouth after getting his teeth fixed.

All I will say his absence is legitimate, end of.

If so then I take everything back.

It would be good to get clarification though. He's a great keeper and we're much better off having him as either number 1 or keeping Hutton on his toes.

In regards Gomes i do not know what all the ranting and raving is about but here are some facts :-

1. I rate him and like him as a goalkeeper and quite rightly he started no 1 as the Red Lichtie goalkeeper.

2. He played very well in the pre-season games and deserved to keep his place as our no 1 going into the proper games.

3. Against Alloa away he unfortunately  got injured and lost some teeth.

4. Arbroath FC PAID for Gomes's Dental bill that is a FACT.

5. Because of Gomes injury Hutton got his chance to go between the sticks.

6. After a few weeks on the bench and back in training it was deemed that he was struggling (by who ??) and he was unable to take part because of the after affects of concussion.

7. Hence Big Rab was signed as a stop-gap until Gomes got the all-clear by medical people to return to full training.

This is when it becomes a bit of a mystery and loads of "rumours" flying about why he is missing but how on earth can anybody blame anybody on the facts that are above, he was no 1, he got injured, imo Hutton has not done much wrong and has been excellent in most games, AFC paid the Dental bill, Gomes then cannot train so how on earth can he be back between the sticks, who is to blame then??

Hope he gets better and returns to fight for his place because i like and rate him, but Hutton has the gloves at the moment so should get all our support.

C'Mon the Red Lichties.

Archived