Partick Thistle v Dundee

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commiserations to the Dundee fans on here for this one. Went along with @JockysJetpack and it was a bit of a heartbreaker. 

First half I was really impressed with the Dees. A lot of creativity and running. AJLS and Jesse Curran were really direct, Spence and Kamara were such a balanced midfield, providing passing and steel. Hendry was excellent coming out from the back with the ball. Should have been more than 1-0 up, especially with the penalty. Its never a good sign to see players arguing over who should take one, and I think was a sign of things to come. In any case, AJLS should have finished the chance way before the penalty was given. As good as Dundee were, Thistle were hopeless, especially in the midfield. Completely overrun, and offered very little creatively. 

Second half was a completely different story. Dundee looked like they didn't know what to do with the lead. They retreated right back, looking to protect the 1-0, and allowed Thistle onto them. They got a grip of the midfield and created chances. Shite keeping from Bain for the equaliser. Thought he was improving this year, but looked back to last year's rubbish yesterday. Once the equaliser went in, Dundee came back out, and in honesty it was a great match. End to end, and either team could have won it, but after Moussa fucked his chance, there was only one winner IMO.

There was a lot to like about Dundee's play. Good technique, the ball was on the deck, lots of chances created. For me, it looked like they were not there, mentally. There was arguing between players, they didn't know what to do with the lead, and after the penalty miss, the Moussa miss, the heads went down, and the performance got worse. Makes you worry about McCann's management IMO. The football showed he's a good coach, the result may indicate he's not a great manager. 

Enjoyed the Dees experience as always though, always nice to sing about the shite, First Division DABs. Chris Erskine and Blair Spittal can get tae. 

Thank you.

Astonished we won given our absolute incompetence at times in the middle of the park, Dundee absolutely shat all over us at times - Kamara was terrific for them, won't be at Dens long if he keeps that level of performance up.

Barton and Edwards were better than against Killie - though not difficult, another good performance from Spittal as well.

Hoping for a more solid midfield display at Hamilton.

Played towards Storey who's just about in our box. Pish ruling that he isn't offside. 

Aye. This "new" second phase offside rule is a nightmare if you lose a goal from it.

Dundee should be utterly embarrassed to have taken anything other than 3 points there. They shat all over Thistle if the Sportscene highlights are anything to go by, fair play to Thistle for taking their chances whilst Dundee should have come away comfortable winners.

Few belated thoughts on the game:

• As Thistle fans, we rarely get to experience the elation of that kind of victory as we're almost always on the other end of it but it merely papered over what was an absolutely stinking, relegation fodder performance. We were defensively calamitous, completely passive in midfield and Sammon was totally isolated up front. 
  • In a home game that we really had to win, I really struggle to understand why Archie started Sammon as a lone striker. On Saturday anyway, he must have been the highest paid ball boy in the country. The tinkering with the forward options is clearly damaging - the cohesion of our attack versus St Mirren in the League Cup seems like a very long time ago indeed. 
  • I was left really scratching my head at the sheer ineptitude of Paul McGinn; I don't recall him being so utterly, utterly shite. I remember him being a wiry, attacking full-back capable of getting up the line. On Saturday, he could barely run, tracked poorly, was awkward in possession and was generally wholly unimpressive. I dread to think what he looked like at left back.
  • Not a great fan of Turnbull or his penchant for mouthing off at team-mates. Incapable of playing at full back as it's been acknowledged by management - so why on earth didn't we sign a proper left back when we had the opportunity!?
  • Not going to waste any more of my time mentioning our midfield frailties, other than to say I think McCarthy has copped a bit of unfair flack in previous posts. I thought he was competitive and didn't look out of his depth, certainly no more so than his colleagues. Apparently Bannigan has known about his requirement for a tidy-up operation since early in the season which renders the decision not to recruit a new midfielder all the more neglectful. 
  • Dundee have some very tidy players in their team. I was particularly impressed with Kamara, Spence and Curran. The former two perhaps shone so much given the absence of any proper challenge from our midfield but the drive of Spence in particular is something that we utterly lack.

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

Few belated thoughts on the game:

• As Thistle fans, we rarely get to experience the elation of that kind of victory as we're almost always on the other end of it but it merely papered over what was an absolutely stinking, relegation fodder performance. We were defensively calamitous, completely passive in midfield and Sammon was totally isolated up front. 
  • In a home game that we really had to win, I really struggle to understand why Archie started Sammon as a lone striker. On Saturday anyway, he must have been the highest paid ball boy in the country. The tinkering with the forward options is clearly damaging - the cohesion of our attack versus St Mirren in the League Cup seems like a very long time ago indeed. 
  • I was left really scratching my head at the sheer ineptitude of Paul McGinn; I don't recall him being so utterly, utterly shite. I remember him being a wiry, attacking full-back capable of getting up the line. On Saturday, he could barely run, tracked poorly, was awkward in possession and was generally wholly unimpressive. I dread to think what he looked like at left back.
  • Not a great fan of Turnbull or his penchant for mouthing off at team-mates. Incapable of playing at full back as it's been acknowledged by management - so why on earth didn't we sign a proper left back when we had the opportunity!?
  • Not going to waste any more of my time mentioning our midfield frailties, other than to say I think McCarthy has copped a bit of unfair flack in previous posts. I thought he was competitive and didn't look out of his depth, certainly no more so than his colleagues. Apparently Bannigan has known about his requirement for a tidy-up operation since early in the season which renders the decision not to recruit a new midfielder all the more neglectful. 
  • Dundee have some very tidy players in their team. I was particularly impressed with Kamara, Spence and Curran. The former two perhaps shone so much given the absence of any proper challenge from our midfield but the drive of Spence in particular is something that we utterly lack.

Wasn't at the game but watched the whole thing back on BBC Alba and I can't disagree with any of that.   The lack of link up play was woeful until the last twenty minutes when we just had to do something other than lamely concede three points.  I've no idea how to sort it with the current personnel and if we get a point tomorrow I'll be happy.

Not going to waste any more of my time mentioning our midfield frailties, other than to say I think McCarthy has copped a bit of unfair flack in previous posts. I thought he was competitive and didn't look out of his depth, certainly no more so than his colleagues. Apparently Bannigan has known about his requirement for a tidy-up operation since early in the season which renders the decision not to recruit a new midfielder all the more neglectful. 

The only mitigation to this I suppose is that we have been unlucky in bannigan and osman both being out at the same time along with Barton's apparent memory loss of how to play in midfield. I thought last season he was decent in there and excellent at sweeper. Losing 3 midfielders was an eventuality we were unlikely to ever budget for

Archived