Partick Thistle v Dundee

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

I actually thought we looked markedly worse than last week until late in the game, but that might just be because we were against a better team. The glaring issues in our midfield and full back positions are still hurting us,  but Cerny helped us ride it out until our subs (all three) gave us a shot in the arm. 

Turnbull at LB is clearly a short term solution (as is anyone we play there for the next couple of months at least) and McCarthy looked out of his depth today, but I think that's as balanced a team as we can put out just now and apart from bringing in Spittal and Doolan I'd keep it the same for next week.

McCarthy was class

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

There is no way anyone in our midfield could be described as class today, win or otherwise. Dundee players being able to run 40 yards unopposed through the middle of the park confirmed that.

Our midfield was better today than it has been the previous 2 weeks but not class. Barton looked better than usual. Edwards buzzed about like a wee bee as usual but I would like less of the Hollywood 40/50 yard pass that comes off 1 time out of 10. Mcarthy wasn't bad at all but would have been nice to see some one give him a bit of guidance. 

Loads to unpack today, even with a barrel of drink in me I still think  it was a game worth talking about.

First half was an absolute beasting apart from one corner where Bain- who I think is the most overrated keeper going but that's maybe because he looks like Scott Fox- made a good save and Edwards' chip going just over the bar. When the Dundee RB waltzed 50 yards without a tackle before the Cerny save 2 minutes in I knew it was going to be a long day. Their goal came from McCarthy falling on his arse and Kamara running 30 yards without a tackle (common theme established). Then the penalty came from our 2 centre halves hitting the ball off each other, and as much as Neil McCann has the look of someone who wants to be cool at school but knows he won't be to a T, he doesn't know the laws of the game as it was clearly a yellow card as Cerny tried to take the ball (and failed miserably). When TC saved everyone said "well, that's the turning point" but we were still hugely second best. Very lucky to go in only 0-1.

Second half we matched up 3-5-2 with 5'1 Lawless at LWB but took 10 minutes to actually sort out players into their proper positions, bringing Spittal on for Erskine should have been 20 minutes into the first half. Fortunately Dundee didn't punish us and then decided to put themselves under pressure by excessively passing it about the back with no real purpose. Doolan's first touch led to the equaliser when Bain (yeah, him) spilt a shot straight at him. I was convinced we were going to lose still but the big diddy up front for Dundee managed to sclaff a shot with an open goal, presumably as he was hoping for an opportunity to throw himself to the ground theatrically and didn't know what to do otherwise. Somehow we managed to win when Doolan strung a pass which looked massively underhit to the white Ade Azeez who did his best to miss it by hitting it straight at Bain but the keeper obliged by jumping over it.

We were talking in the pub after the game and since promotion reckoned that was the 2nd game we've stolen a win after the ICT "cornergate" game (not that the corner goal should have stood, more that we just got pumped for 80 minutes and still won). There are probably about 20 games on the other side of the ledger so as shite as we are I'm just going to enjoy this.

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Loads to unpack today, even with a barrel of drink in me I still think  it was a game worth talking about.

First half was an absolute beasting apart from one corner where Bain- who I think is the most overrated keeper going but that's maybe because he looks like Scott Fox- made a good save and Edwards' chip going just over the bar. When the Dundee RB waltzed 50 yards without a tackle before the Cerny save 2 minutes in I knew it was going to be a long day. Their goal came from McCarthy falling on his arse and Kamara running 30 yards without a tackle (common theme established). Then the penalty came from our 2 centre halves hitting the ball off each other, and as much as Neil McCann has the look of someone who wants to be cool at school but knows he won't be to a T, he doesn't know the laws of the game as it was clearly a yellow card as Cerny tried to take the ball (and failed miserably). When TC saved everyone said "well, that's the turning point" but we were still hugely second best. Very lucky to go in only 0-1.

Second half we matched up 3-5-2 with 5'1 Lawless at LWB but took 10 minutes to actually sort out players into their proper positions, bringing Spittal on for Erskine should have been 20 minutes into the first half. Fortunately Dundee didn't punish us and then decided to put themselves under pressure by excessively passing it about the back with no real purpose. Doolan's first touch led to the equaliser when Bain (yeah, him) spilt a shot straight at him. I was convinced we were going to lose still but the big diddy up front for Dundee managed to sclaff a shot with an open goal, presumably as he was hoping for an opportunity to throw himself to the ground theatrically and didn't know what to do otherwise. Somehow we managed to win when Doolan strung a pass which looked massively underhit to the white Ade Azeez who did his best to miss it by hitting it straight at Bain but the keeper obliged by jumping over it.

We were talking in the pub after the game and since promotion reckoned that was the 2nd game we've stolen a win after the ICT "cornergate" game (not that the corner goal should have stood, more that we just got pumped for 80 minutes and still won). There are probably about 20 games on the other side of the ledger so as shite as we are I'm just going to enjoy this.

Please do all further postmatch analysis with said barrel of drink in you :lol: nailed it tbh

Closer than I though with the offside for the winner, I know that screenshot is after the ball is played - when it is played the Dundee RCB (Hendry?) isn't in the frame but by the cut of the grass I'm going to say Sir Kris is onside :angel

Capture.PNG

37 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Closer than I though with the offside for the winner, I know that screenshot is after the ball is played - when it is played the Dundee RCB (Hendry?) isn't in the frame but by the cut of the grass I'm going to say Sir Kris is onside :angel

Capture.PNG

don't have jagzone anymore and haven't seen any highlights post match (looking forward to Sportscene, which makes a nice change this season) - initial reaction was onside at the time and it looks on there too.

Looks like a terrific through pass in that still tbh - made under a bit of pressure, beyond a blocking midfielder and Meekings into that sweet bit of space in behind

There is no way anyone in our midfield could be described as class today, win or otherwise. Dundee players being able to run 40 yards unopposed through the middle of the park confirmed that.

Agreed. The only players I thought played well were Cerny, Turnbull (in the second half), Lawless (because he was playing out if position) and Spittal.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Capture.PNG

Played towards Storey who's just about in our box. Pish ruling that he isn't offside. 

Just now, Yenitit said:

Played towards Storey who's just about in our box. Pish ruling that he isn't offside. 

I get the argument but this offside law interpretation has been around since Ruud van Needledick was doing exactly the same same for Man U in the early 2000s as Storey did today.

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I get the argument but this offside law interpretation has been around since Ruud van Nistelrooy was doing exactly the same same for Man U in the early 2000s as Storey did today.

Ftfy

Archived