Birmingham

Romeo

Opening Times:

Tuesday              6pm – midnight
Wednesday         6pm – midnight
Thursday             6pm – 1am
Friday                  6pm – 2am (last entry 1am)
Saturday              6pm – 2am (last entry 1am)

I’m considering moving to Birmingham...know anything about best areas to live etc. please mate?

Oh sorry, forgot about this.

Some places to live....

Moseley : full of hipsters but everyone, except me, loves it. Loads of pubs, not far from city centre. Nice houses and plenty of amenities including a nice big park with boats and shit.

Edgbaston: has some nice areas, although people in neighbouring shiteholes like Ladywood will often claim to be from Edgbaston so check that it is actually there on Google Maps before moving in.

Bournville: nice homely area but NO PUBS due to local Cadbury family Quaker influence.

Kings Heath: a slightly downmarket Moseley but more affordable. Considered to be up and coming. I drink there sometimes.

Solihull: I consider it boring and soulless but everyone that lives there seems to love it, so maybe it's me that's wrong. Their schools are highly-regarded, if that's an issue.

Harborne: another area popular with "the yoof" who like to do "the Harborne Mile" and get shitfaced in the area's multitude of pubs.

Sutton Coldfield: basically a town in its own right, it was only added to Birmingham in the seventies, I believe. Nice area with a decent nightlife.... also quite expensive.

Yardley: a bit shit (I live there).

City centre: ideal if young and wanting to enjoy yourself but pricey, as you'd expect, and likely to get more so with HS2 on the way. Still, it's doable if you're happy to live in a not-too-fancy flat.

Other areas that I've been told are alright but don't really know very well... Selly Oak, Hodge Hill, Cotteridge, Erdington, Bearwood and Yardley Wood (confusingly, nowhere near Yardley).

If you're happy to live slightly further afield then Alvechurch is nice, within easy travel distance, and more affordable then many of the places I've mentioned.

Avoid anywhere along the A45 corridor, Aston, Lozells, Handsworth, Chelmsley Wood or Kitts Green.

Oh sorry, forgot about this.

Some places to live....

Moseley : full of hipsters but everyone, except me, loves it. Loads of pubs, not far from city centre. Nice houses and plenty of amenities including a nice big park with boats and shit.

Edgbaston: has some nice areas, although people in neighbouring shiteholes like Ladywood will often claim to be from Edgbaston so check that it is actually there on Google Maps before moving in.

Bournville: nice homely area but NO PUBS due to local Cadbury family Quaker influence.

Kings Heath: a slightly downmarket Moseley but more affordable. Considered to be up and coming. I drink there sometimes.

Solihull: I consider it boring and soulless but everyone that lives there seems to love it, so maybe it's me that's wrong. Their schools are highly-regarded, if that's an issue.

Harborne: another area popular with "the yoof" who like to do "the Harborne Mile" and get shitfaced in the area's multitude of pubs.

Sutton Coldfield: basically a town in its own right, it was only added to Birmingham in the seventies, I believe. Nice area with a decent nightlife.... also quite expensive.

Yardley: a bit shit (I live there).

City centre: ideal if young and wanting to enjoy yourself but pricey, as you'd expect, and likely to get more so with HS2 on the way. Still, it's doable if you're happy to live in a not-too-fancy flat.

Other areas that I've been told are alright but don't really know very well... Selly Oak, Hodge Hill, Cotteridge, Erdington, Bearwood and Yardley Wood (confusingly, nowhere near Yardley).

If you're happy to live slightly further afield then Alvechurch is nice, within easy travel distance, and more affordable then many of the places I've mentioned.

Avoid anywhere along the A45 corridor, Aston, Lozells, Handsworth, Chelmsley Wood or Kitts Green.

Cheers. My mates live in Kings Norton/Cotteridge.

Few new decent pubs popping up in Birmingham and the centre is much better than years ago.

Just to stick up for Birmingham,  yes it is still a fairly industrial city, however the improvement over the last 20 years since I moved down are huge.

I would agree with most of what Bully Wee Villa has posted in terms of the area's to live in, I've been out of the city for the last 10 years. If you are moving down it would depend on where you are working as the public transport can be pretty poor. Its great from the outskirts into city center, but if you want to go round the outside, its dreadful.

When I first moved down I was in Harbone, and can concur with posts above, quite hipsterish, close to the Uni but some decent pubs, but no clubs if I remember correctly.

Moved out to Erdington, which was ok, depends on the area in Erdington, outskirts are good, but center is a bit of a dive.

Sutton Coldfield and Solihull are both fairly nice big sized towns (100+k ish) bolted on to the outskirts are both do their best to pretend they aren't actually Birmingham

There are plenty of nice towns on the outskirts that are easy travel distance in the city centre like Lichfield and Bromsgrove which both have good pubs and nightlife.

In terms of touristy things, there is actually plenty to do, Cadbury world is the main big one in the centre, along with the Museum and Art gallery, which si free and the think tank. There is the NIA, NEC and Symphony hall for concerts and gigs, plenty of theatres and smaller venues also and depending on what you are into there is 2 theme parks less than an hour away, plenty of National Trust house, Warwick Castle, Shakespeare stuff in Stratford etc

ETA - almost forgot, the standard Brummie line of having more miles of Canal than Venice, and more trees than the New Forest.

Archived