Shortest Cup tie team names

Silly Sunday evening type post.

The cup tie between Keith v Clyde yesterday featured two teams whose names had a combined total of ten letters. Does anyone know of a cup tie with fewer letters? I know Duns used to compete regularly so they may have been involved.

Conversely will Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Hamilton Academical be the longest?

1878-79 ... Govan v Ailsa

1882-83 ... Clyde v Luton

1885-86 ... Dalry v Ayr
1885-86 ... Yoker v Union

1886-87 ... Clyde v St Peter

1888-89 ... Oban v Clyde

1889-90 ... Ayr v Beith

1890-91 ... Denny v Alloa

1900-01 ... Ayr v Orion

1938-39 ... Duns v Girvan

1950-51 ... Celtic v Duns

Only way I can see to get under 8 would be with something like Ayr v Duns, but this never happened... So unless someone can prove otherwise, it looks like the answer is 8.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I chose a game earlier this season in my local non-league based purely on team names. 

Ashington v Washington

Thought at the time that must be fixture where with least difference between team names. Definitely not a silly game. My brain likes quirks like that. 

20 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

I would imagine Lothian Thistle Hutchinson Vale v Inverness Caledonian Thistle would be the longest.

That match-up or Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Broomhill Sports Club Glasgow.

However if you count spaces BSCG is longer as it's 4 words whereas ICT has only the 3.

Without having had a proper look I'd speculate the longest tie in Scottish Cup history would be the 1933-34 First Round match-up between Albion Rovers and the Vale of Leven Old Church Old Boys Association - usually abbreviated as "Vale OCOBA".

4 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Pity Ae doesn't have a football team. 

If they were a junior team they'd probably call themselves Ae Victoria Corinthian Arboreal Welfare Academicals.

On 16/10/2017 at 14:54, HibeeJibee said:

That match-up or Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Broomhill Sports Club Glasgow.

However if you count spaces BSCG is longer as it's 4 words whereas ICT has only the 3.

Without having had a proper look I'd speculate the longest tie in Scottish Cup history would be the 1933-34 First Round match-up between Albion Rovers and the Vale of Leven Old Church Old Boys Association - usually abbreviated as "Vale OCOBA".

Only if this was their official name via SFA records.

From some accounts Alloa were registered as Alloa Athletic with the SFA but as Alloa with the SFL and only rectified decades later.  Only saying!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had a quick look for the corresponding fixture south of the border - best so far would bury v stoke in 1897/98 - and again in 1919/20 and 1922/23

stoke didn't change their name to stoke city until 1925, so that'll be nine letters

there are two x four letter teams who have played in the cup, wick and ware, but i cant quite be arsed to check if they've ever crossed swords with either each other or bury...

Edited by Herman Hessian