Queens Park vs Dunfermline

Rob1885

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not troubled at all by the result. Pretty well followed the script. More importantly, Gus took the inevitable as an opportunity to stretch some of the youngsters. The old Spiers set-up was too youth dependant and Gus has taken it to the other end of the scale with his plundering of the Juniors but I hope a better blend of the two will be our future. Magee was every bit as steady for the full game as his shorter introduction was last week.  MacLennan looks to me to be the best potential we have up front. If he can learn to make space for himself we might yet see his finishing but he's the cleverest and most competitive I've seen so far. Great to see the bigger version of Mortimer back leading the front too. It'll be interesting to see how these guys develop when MacPherson gets back to fitness.

Perhaps the gem of the day was Leitch. Not one of our own but with time spent at Burnley and now at St Mirren (think Motherwell U-20) he must have more experience than many of our lads. Looked the part yesterday and knew immediately he'd made the wrong choice after winning possession with some sharp thinking. Unlike the experienced Pars who showed no mercy from 20 yards. He'll do better next time.

The first half was very good and we pressed well and made Dunfermline look ordinary.  Their sharp start in the second set us back but had Donnelly's excellent strike bounced down instead of up we would have had a better final 20 mins. Nevertheless, much more hopeful for the next couple of games. Galt deserved MotM but I'd make special mention of Cummins too. He's had a fitful season, to be polite, but yesterday played as well as his best last season. It's funny how the defence always seems a bit more stable when Scott Gibson's around.

First chance to have a proper look at the highlights, reaction etc.

Happy we're through but looked a bit dodgier than the scoreline suggests. First goal is superb IMO. Good build-up, great cross from Cardle and and Clark doing what he does best. Give him service and he'll score plenty.

Our defending from set pieces is grim at times. The goal is bad enough but they almost have a free header from another free kick as well. Poor stuff.

Poor QP keeper though. Second one is an absolute shocker; complete schoolboy stuff. Third goal looks a foul from Ryan tbh and fourth is again a slow reaction from keeper but decent finish by #Dece.

Also, QP hit the bar in the second half and it's not in the highlights?

A tough game on Saturday.

There was nothing between the sides at half-time although I would say Queens Park were probably the better team by a small margin as they forced Murdoch into one or two good saves but we were unlucky with the header off the line from Ashcroft too. 

An early goal was required to settle us down IMO so I was relieved when we got it. A great strike from Talbot too for the second. 

I was impressed with Galt and he put in a great delivery for the Spiders' goal; it was unlucky for Williamson it hit him and went in. 

Glad to see some of the fringe guys getting minutes although I was a bit surprised when Lewis Martin came on at DM!

Good goals by Ryan and McManus to add a wee bit of gloss to the scoreline. It wasn't a great performance by us and QP can feel hard done by that they conceded four in the end. Thankfully we done enough to go through. 

My match report from Saturday;

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/20/pars-defeat-spiders-to-reach-round-four/

Scoreline was a hard one to take....although I feared worse before the game.  We were easily their match in the first half, when their tactics consisted of a big punt up the park. 

Once again, though, we lose a goal from a free header.  The second looked like a keeper howler, the third was a blatant foul on McVey(?) and the fourth was a cracker.  I thought that the keeper might have done better on Saturday, but seeing it again, maybe it was just too far away from him.

Their shout for the ball crossing the line in the first half was a good one.

Hit the bar, hit the post and a couple of really good chances that we squandered, but we played well.  The young guys did very well with Magee looking the part in particular.  Davie Galt a well-deserved man of the match.

Total despondency a week ago replaced with a bit of optimism.  Raith on a right downer at the moment; no better time to be going up there probably.  I'm hoping that Gus lets the young guys loose again, although I would have Brady and Muir back if they're fit.

Aye, harsh scoreline. Could have got a replay with better finishing and better goalkeeping

1st goal, Magee lost his man too easily when the cross came in but he played well overall. He'll learn. 

2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals. No idea what White was thinking at the 2nd but he must have been still thinking about it at the 3rd. He should be holding that shot or at least pushing it away out of danger.  Looked like a foul on Gibby but still think we need to be stronger there in the challenge. I thought at the time White was slow to get down for the 4th but the highlights show it was a good strike and he didn't have much chance ( especially when you see it from behind the goal)  We should have been quicker to the second ball when it was knocked down.

David Galt once again showing that he must start every week  when available. His delivery is spot on, in fact McLennan should have made it 1-1 from one of his free kicks, completely missing the header. He looked lively though. Leitch is a bit of a find and he'll know he should have made it 2-2. Pity it wasn't Galt with that one as he would have put his laces through it    

Something to build on  

Archived