Falkirk v St Mirren

16 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I don’t think the standard is much worse than previous years tbh. It’s more competitive & there’s not 1 or 2 clear favourites but the standard is much the same.

I’ve certainly seen some very entertaining football at St. Mirren Park this season. The link up play between Morgan, Smith & Reilly has been a joy to watch at times this season.

Well as far as I'm concerned the rangers, hibs and us of two seasons ago are a million miles better than any side in the league this season. Just because teams are closely matched doesn't mean their any good. The playoff final this season will be over after the first leg I'd put money on it.

St mirren to me played similarly to how they played in the first game of the season . Only difference was that we had defenders who can actually tackle this time so we didn't make it easy for them.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obvious Ross set up st mirren for a point and perhaps sneak it

Better squads with 6 centre halves. 6 central midfielders and currently one striker and we have won once in the league since February at home.

The standard this season is poor, would you pay again to watch yesterday's game again ?

Walter Smith dominated scottish football for years playing Centre halves as fullbacks, well that and paying players by way of EBT.

6 central midfielders is better than 1 alongside a Kyle Hutton especially as the wide men are Tom Walsh (played instead of Morgan) and Calum Gallagher [emoji20]

An aging front line of Clarkson, Sutton or the massive Shankland or spineless Hardie wasn't exactly giving balance.

The Falkirk squad is not as bad as you are making out.

If you want to talk about slow starts try 0 wins going into December.

28 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I don't think you could get such an imbalanced squad than ours if you tried, no fullbacks, playing four centre halves as a back four, one naturally right sided as a left back and the rest of the imbalance described earlier. 

As for slow start, nearly hitting November and we haven't started yet

Obvious Ross set up st mirren for a point and perhaps sneak it

Better squads with 6 centre halves. 6 central midfielders and currently one striker and we have won once in the league since February at home.

The standard this season is poor, would you pay again to watch yesterday's game again ?

Alex Rae succeeded. No left sided players in the squad at all! Signed Sevco youngsters that were shite and over the hill pros. No players in their mid-20s just young guys with no heart and old guys looking for a pay-off.  Route 1 hoofball. I would certainly take Falkirk's current squad over the one we had under Rae where I witnessed the worst football from a St Mirren team in decades. JR dumped 10 in January and it would have been more if he could. I do not think Hartley will have to do that.

35 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

I don’t think the standard is much worse than previous years tbh. It’s more competitive & there’s not 1 or 2 clear favourites but the standard is much the same.

I’ve certainly seen some very entertaining football at St. Mirren Park this season. The link up play between Morgan, Smith & Reilly has been a joy to watch at times this season.

Took Ross 7 months to avoid the playoffs on goal difference. I've every confidence that hartley will exceed that by the end of the season.

Took Ross 7 months to avoid the playoffs on goal difference. I've every confidence that hartley will exceed that by the end of the season.

Exceed the 7 months? Does that mean you think he will need longer? Jack left it to the last day I don't think Hartley can leave it much later.

5 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Exceed the 7 months? Does that mean you think he will need longer? Jack left it to the last day I don't think Hartley can leave it much later.

Sorry I reckon he'll do a lot better. Even with the squad we've got I'll be amazed if we're anywhere near the bottom the standards so pish.

41 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Walter Smith dominated scottish football for years playing Centre halves as fullbacks, well that and paying players by way of EBT.

The Falkirk squad is not as bad as you are making out.

If you want to talk about slow starts try 0 wins going into December.

I doubt Walter played a centre half who is naturally right or left footed on the opposite side of his natural preference, the centre halves I can think of he used played full back large spells of their career and some internationally in that position, 

Dominating Scottish football with either evil twin doesn't really stand much ground tho.

The zero wins till December is no surprise, the overall standard was greater last season, tho a few clubs had car crash moments with form.

Its gonna be an interesting title race, not even a decent appointment at UTD will guarantee them top spot, unless they splash cash in January. They may have spent the most cash this season, it doesn't show with the 11 they put out

I'd say we definitely have a better squad at the moment than when Ross took over. That said I think even Ross would agree that he took too long to get things moving last season  and even after January with the likes of loy and McGinn playing you still drew with Dumbarton on more than one occasion and got beat by raith who were in freefall by then. I think by the end of the season with the side you had staying up should've been a bit more comfortable.

13 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Well only the bones left on the fish lads. I expect to see you in the top four come the end of the season. 

A lot will still depend on getting loy and sibbald back fit and a bit of wheeling and dealing in January. Lot of deadwood needing cleared out but not easy to get guys earning a good wage out the door . The bonus Jack Ross did have was at least a number of raes duffers were on Loan deals that could be sent home in January. Hartley doesn't have that luxury with the likes of Harris, Watson and shepherd etc.

14 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

If everyone is honest they will admit the best of an average lot will win this league. Falkirk improved a bit on where we have been this season and might just have shaded the game. If Austins downward header that went over had gone in Falkirk would have won, end of.  St Mirren at no time looked like a team top of the league, but are very street wise. They are obviously told to waste as much time as possible at every breakdown in play that favours the opposition. Some of the extents they go to waste time is pathetic, refs should be tougher regards this, and St Mirren certainly go out of their way to do this more than most teams. It's easy to have a go at refs, but Austin nearly gets the collar ripped off his shirt then gets taken out by a Saints defender going in a completely opposite direction to the ball, no foul for either. Every Saints player to drop in midfield soft tackles, foul given. That's both games Don Robertson has done, and I think he's been poor twice now.

On today's show there was nothing to suggest St Mirren would win this league or even go up a couple of gears as someone said earlier.

Wow! Just wow!

Hope you’re feeling better today.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

A lot will still depend on getting loy and sibbald back fit and a bit of wheeling and dealing in January. Lot of deadwood needing cleared out but not easy to get guys earning a good wage out the door . The bonus Jack Ross did have was at least a number of raes duffers were on Loan deals that could be sent home in January. Hartley doesn't have that luxury with the likes of Harris, Watson and shepherd etc.

You looked very organised Loy will shine with the style of play yesterday but you know the team better than me. 

This is a strange thread. Probably what happens after a 0-0 draw, about which neither side has any real complaints.

Jack Ross said it was a fair result the draw. That tells me he was more than satisfied not to lose considering how the 2nd half went.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Wow! Just wow!

Hope you’re feeling better today.

Dont think we will run away with the league this league is very competitive. Still if you can go out and play poorly and get a point at a difficult venue like yesterday then luck is on your side so you never know. Morgan is being man marked in every game good he can use both feet so can be moved around. 

To all of the Falkirk fans glorying in how ‘shite’ Saints are, yes, we did play poorly yesterday and I’m sure that’s partly down to how well Falkirk played against us.

However, since the end of January Saints have been playing some great football, and I think most Saints fans would agree that it’s generally been the most enjoyable football we’ve played in years.

That doesn’t mean we think we’re Barcelona, and in amongst the entertaining matches, there are games like yesterday.

It’s been a long time since I’ve gone to matches knowing there’s a real chance I’ll enjoy rather than endure the game.

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Dont think we will run away with the league this league is very competitive. Still if you can go out and play poorly and get a point at a difficult venue like yesterday then luck is on your side so you never know. Morgan is being man marked in every game good he can use both feet so can be moved around. 

There were a couple of very heavy tackles on him early on.  Not the first, and won’t be the last, time we see that.

Hopefully once Magennis has had a few more games under his belt there won’t be so much pressure on Morgan.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

To all of the Falkirk fans glorying in how ‘shite’ Saints are, yes, we did play poorly yesterday and I’m sure that’s partly down to how well Falkirk played against us.

However, since the end of January Saints have been playing some great football, and I think most Saints fans would agree that it’s generally been the most enjoyable football we’ve played in years.

That doesn’t mean we think we’re Barcelona, and in amongst the entertaining matches, there are games like yesterday.

It’s been a long time since I’ve gone to matches knowing there’s a real chance I’ll enjoy rather than endure the game.

Very true years of watching dross you can put up with an off day. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Since the end of Jan you've drawn twice with Dumbarton, lost twice to raith and been hammered by Morton and dunfermline.  The two games against us this season and the one towards the end of last season you played ok but not great and the game away to you on the 28th of Jan when we won 2 1 you were murder. 

Archived